twak

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  4
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

I'm a university student in Canada. Since you probably don't know much about Canada, I'll give you some background. I live in the city of Vancouver, which has historically had lots of Asian immigrants. For example, when the British handed over Hong Kong to communist China in 1997, the Hong Kong people were so scared of living under communism that they immigrated here. In those days, everyone got along. But these days, there have been lots of immigrants from mainland China. Through their real estate speculation, they have made house prices so high that the locals can't even afford to buy a house. They also don't assimilate into the local culture. Their kids attend our schools, but they're not really here to learn. This has led to an increase in racism. 

So in university, I'm friends with a girl from Japan. She's an atheist, so she doesn't believe in God, but that hasn't affected our friendship. And she also has a disability. Unfortunately when she was younger, she had to have one leg amputated below the knee. That's why she has a prosthetic leg. 

We were recently working out at the gym. A guy suddenly approached her and yelled at her to go back to China. She said she's Japanese and not even Chinese, but he just kept rambling. He talked about how the godless Chinese commies have invaded Canada. He told her that she's going to Hell for being a godless atheist who worships money. Then, he mocked her disability in an offensive and disrespectful way. It was all so shocking and horrifying that she almost cried. 

After this incident, she asked me if I believe she's going to Hell, and I didn't know how to respond. So as a good Christian, how should I talk about this with her? Also, how should I comfort her after this event?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • This is Worthy 1
  • Loved it! 1
  • Praying! 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

1 hour ago, twak said:

I'm a university student in Canada. Since you probably don't know much about Canada, I'll give you some background. I live in the city of Vancouver, which has historically had lots of Asian immigrants. For example, when the British handed over Hong Kong to communist China in 1997, the Hong Kong people were so scared of living under communism that they immigrated here. In those days, everyone got along. But these days, there have been lots of immigrants from mainland China. Through their real estate speculation, they have made house prices so high that the locals can't even afford to buy a house. They also don't assimilate into the local culture. Their kids attend our schools, but they're not really here to learn. This has led to an increase in racism. 

So in university, I'm friends with a girl from Japan. She's an atheist, so she doesn't believe in God, but that hasn't affected our friendship. And she also has a disability. Unfortunately when she was younger, she had to have one leg amputated below the knee. That's why she has a prosthetic leg. 

We were recently working out at the gym. A guy suddenly approached her and yelled at her to go back to China. She said she's Japanese and not even Chinese, but he just kept rambling. He talked about how the godless Chinese commies have invaded Canada. He told her that she's going to Hell for being a godless atheist who worships money. Then, he mocked her disability in an offensive and disrespectful way. It was all so shocking and horrifying that she almost cried. 

After this incident, she asked me if I believe she's going to Hell, and I didn't know how to respond. So as a good Christian, how should I talk about this with her? Also, how should I comfort her after this event?

You tell her the basics such as John 3:16. You tell her about Jesus Christ and that He loves her. That is a good start. You tell her that there are many cruel people in our world and try not to take it personally. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1
  • Brilliant! 1

• Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.95
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

Wow, okay so your atheist friend asked you if she was going to Hell? Then obviously she does believe in something. Good advice from both Sower and MissMuffet, there's plenty of opportunity where gentle but effective tact can be applied in sharing the gospel with your friend. Pray first, on how you can approach the subject, and be ready with bible in hand. It's also important to have a good uninterrupted place for the two of you to converse with. Some are a bit intimidated, and are easily embarrassed. She'll have more questions also, but you might not have all the answers.

And that's okay for now. One very important thing here, is sharing how loving our Saviour really is, and wishes all to come to a saving knowledge in Him, and not wanting any to perish. Your friend may need some time to process all this out, and ponder her eternity. But, if and when she's ready to ask Jesus into her heart, you can lead her in the sinners prayer. I'm sure you're aware probably, the necessity of bringing a novice in Christ along with bible study, and all that. If you attend a good bible believing church, perhaps you could invite her to come with you.

God bless!

Shalom, 

David/BeauJangles

Edited by BeauJangles
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,979
  • Content Per Day:  1.00
  • Days Won:  1

All good answers, ...all I can add is, ...more is caught than taught, ...that is, Jesus was always doing good for the people along with His teaching, ...you say you're friends with her, ask the Lord to show you innovative ways how to become her best friend, that is, revealing the Agape love of Jesus for her through you, ...let her see Jesus in you and in doing so you will be blessed.

Lord bless 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Loved it! 1

• Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  6,726
  • Content Per Day:  2.92
  • Days Won:  5

Introduce her to a Bible that she can easily understand and have her read the first ten chapters of Romans.She needs to have her heart convicted of sin so that she will see that she is lost and needs a Savior.Romans does these things and more.Pray that the Holy Spirit give her eyes to see and ears to hear. “Nobody comes to God lest the Spirit draw him.” She will be in my prayers.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Loved it! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  52
  • Topic Count:  1,010
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  12,205
  • Content Per Day:  1.79
  • Days Won:  92

All good advice already given.   Keep loving her with Christian love.   If you have a good, loving church, why don't you invite her so she can hear some sermons, prayer, etc?    It's important she meet Christians who are actually loving their neighbors as Jesus taught us to do.   She probably doesn't know much about Jesus and would be receptive.    So sorry she experienced that man's hatred.... explain people like that are not really following Christ.

I am always glad when Christians reach out to others, especially when they are from a foreign country that is not known as a Christian country.   I know a sweet Muslim young lady (not practicing, just from a Muslim country)....I always hoped that Christians would reach out and be her friend in college that she might know Christ.  So far I think my mom and I are the only Christians she met.

• Thanks 1
  • Praise God! 1

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  3,272
  • Content Per Day:  1.73

22 hours ago, twak said:

May I suggest rather than answer her question, that you discus the evidence for God, the reliability and accuracy of the bible and then get on to the gospel once she has admitted that the evidence shows that there is a God.

try william-lane-craig-explains-how-to-structure-a-conversation-with-an-atheist

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  213
  • Content Per Day:  0.12

Just be easy with her and introduce her to excerpts from the first five of the new testament. Try to answer her questions in an easy to understand manner, an give her a copy of the bible. This may peek her interest/ curiosity even further. Good luck n God bless!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1
  • Praise God! 1