Sign in to follow this  
Kenyon

One Man One Woman

Question

I'm only in Genesis, where Jacob has married Leah by accident, and then Rachel on purpose, and

then utilized two concubines and this all seemed sanctioned by God.

Is there a single turning point in the Bible where God draws the line over multiple spouses?

4 answers to this question

5 hours ago, Kenyon said:

I'm only in Genesis, where Jacob has married Leah by accident, and then Rachel on purpose, and

Is there a single turning point in the Bible where God draws the line over multiple spouses?

Hi, Kenyon :) ...  

Man has had free will since the beginning of creation.  God set His standard for marriage with Adam and Eve--a union between one man and one woman:  "For this cause a man shall leave his father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife; and they shall become one flesh" (Genesis 2:24).  If we did everything God's way, we would have a lot fewer problems, but man has a stubborn will. God allows us to have our own way, but that doesn't mean we won't suffer consequences.  Deuteronomy 17:17 says, "He shall not multiply wives for himself, or else his heart will turn away,...".  Jesus told the Pharisees who questioned him about marriage, "Moses permitted you to divorce your wives because your hearts were hard.  But it was not this way from the beginning.  I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife, except for sexual immorality, and marries another commits adultery" (Matthew 19:8-9).

I think if you will read the stories of Lamech, Abraham, Solomon, Gideon, David, Elkanah, and Rehoboam, all of whom had multiple wives, you will see that they all had problems because of their polygamy.  It was not God's will, but no matter what man does, God can always accomplish His purposes.  It is man who suffers when he insists on his own way. 

Edited by PromisesPromises!
  • Loved it! 1
  • Brilliant! 1

Abraham may have also had concubines;  he took Sara's handmaiden to have children with and produced the Arab tribes perhaps through Ishmael.  He may have had others after Sarah died.

1 hour ago, Kenyon said:

This may be a bit out of context, but the Apostle Paul in 1 Timothy 3:2 did recommend one wife for those in church leadership. I'm not really sure where the practice of monogamy came into being for the early church body of believers though. God bless!

Shalom,

David/BeauJangles

On 15 April 2019 at 7:50 PM, Kenyon said:

Reread genesis and you'll find God's plan formarriage there where as prommisespromises has already said. When God say a man will leave his family and join together with his wife. Note singular one wife.

Just because the bible records multiple wives, murder, incest, theft etc etc does not mean that God has approved of what his people are doing.

Sign in to follow this