Can women teach men outside of church?

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  25
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  84
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0

I've often heard that women aren't supposed to teach men in church. But my question is does this verse apply just in church or everywhere? I'm wondering specifically about teaching and exercising authority over adult men. Would this apply to a female college professor?

1 Timothy 2:11-14: "A woman should learn in quietness and full submission. I do not permit a woman to teach or to assume authority over a man; she must be quiet. For Adam was formed first, then Eve. And Adam was not the one deceived; it was the woman who was deceived and became a sinner."

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,502
  • Content Per Day:  0.67

12 hours ago, nigh said:

I've often heard that women aren't supposed to teach men in church. But my question is does this verse apply just in church or everywhere? I'm wondering specifically about teaching and exercising authority over adult men. Would this apply to a female college professor?

1 Timothy 2:11-14: "A woman should learn in quietness and full submission. I do not permit a woman to teach or to assume authority over a man; she must be quiet. For Adam was formed first, then Eve. And Adam was not the one deceived; it was the woman who was deceived and became a sinner."

Women can teach men INSIDE church, too, if there is a husbandly/pastoral covering. Note the "teach or assume authority over" in the verse.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

17 hours ago, nigh said:

No, women can teach in but the Bible says they are not to be Pastors or Deacons. If given the chance we all need to teach every soul on this earth about God the Father, God the Son and God the Holy Spirit. Men or women. 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  30
  • Topic Count:  265
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  13,128
  • Content Per Day:  3.50
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  10/06/1947

On ‎4‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 10:35 PM, Billiards Ball said:

Women can teach men INSIDE church, too, if there is a husbandly/pastoral covering. Note the "teach or assume authority over" in the verse.

Hi Billiards Ball,

A few comments -

We are the Church, the called out ones, so you must mean the system of man when you say, church.

So who is `covering` the Pastor? Sounds very Catholic to me, with a hierarchy of rulership. The Lord Jesus Christ is ONLY covering we have. We are `set` by the Holy Spirit in the Body and Jesus is the Head, not man. Then as we are `set` in the Body then we need to take note of those mature around us or alongside us as we mature. NO ONE is to Lord is over anyone, and that`s what this so called `covering` error produces.

When we look at the word authority in `assume authority over,` we see that it means `to act of one`s self,` to `dominate.` MEN and women are NOT to do that.

Marilyn.  

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,502
  • Content Per Day:  0.67

14 hours ago, Marilyn C said:

Hi Billiards Ball,

A few comments -

We are the Church, the called out ones, so you must mean the system of man when you say, church.

So who is `covering` the Pastor? Sounds very Catholic to me, with a hierarchy of rulership. The Lord Jesus Christ is ONLY covering we have. We are `set` by the Holy Spirit in the Body and Jesus is the Head, not man. Then as we are `set` in the Body then we need to take note of those mature around us or alongside us as we mature. NO ONE is to Lord is over anyone, and that`s what this so called `covering` error produces.

When we look at the word authority in `assume authority over,` we see that it means `to act of one`s self,` to `dominate.` MEN and women are NOT to do that.

Marilyn.  

Colossians 3 and other passages are clear, as a man, I must submit to my wife, my pastor, ruling authorities, etc.

A woman is not different than a man--I'm an egalitarian--she must also submit to her pastor. A woman CAN teach men and/or women and her teaching, like mine when I preach on a Sunday, is covered by pastoral authority.

As a Jew, I can tell you this stems from the rabbi's authority, and the tradition that the rabbi would speak on Moses and then another might speak in the rabbi's congregation, even a visiting teacher, under the rabbi's blessing, after. JESUS CHRIST followed this convention when He guest lectured in Capernaum, Nazareth, etc. Paul and others did the same.

• Followers:  30
  • Topic Count:  265
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  13,128
  • Content Per Day:  3.50
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  10/06/1947

9 hours ago, Billiards Ball said:

Colossians 3 and other passages are clear, as a man, I must submit to my wife, my pastor, ruling authorities, etc.

A woman is not different than a man--I'm an egalitarian--she must also submit to her pastor. A woman CAN teach men and/or women and her teaching, like mine when I preach on a Sunday, is covered by pastoral authority.

As a Jew, I can tell you this stems from the rabbi's authority, and the tradition that the rabbi would speak on Moses and then another might speak in the rabbi's congregation, even a visiting teacher, under the rabbi's blessing, after. JESUS CHRIST followed this convention when He guest lectured in Capernaum, Nazareth, etc. Paul and others did the same.

Hi Billiards Ball,

So glad you as a Jew have come to know the saviour, the one prophesied in your nation`s writings. How wonderful for you to know the truth. Now I see that we are probably believing the same but expressing it differently.

So yes Jesus, while on earth, was respectful of the order in His Father`s house, in Israel`s temple. However in the Body of Christ we are the temple of the Holy Spirit and as such we obey the Lord the Head of the Body. In close relationships then there is submitting, listening, appreciating, taking in what is said, yet still with the knowledge that we all must stand before the Lord and give account of what we have done - obey or disobey the Holy Spirit. Other believers are there to give advice, guide etc but we never give them authority to make decisions for us. That would continue to make us under their control and we would not grow to maturity.

Now in man`s organisations, we see that this `teaching of submitting` has been perverted and means that those in leadership must be obeyed or you are disobedient. In places this goes as far as leaders telling others what to do in their lives, with their children and how many meetings etc they have to attend so as to be obedient. This is power and control by man. Leaders call this having a `covering.` What! How on earth is one man to cover 1,000 `s of people if that is their congregation, or even a dozen. It is all about the leader controlling the people in the area of the property, as that is owned by the organisation & thus has legal control of what is happening there. It is NOT about `covering` BUT CONTROL.

People who talk about `covering,` would not have the leader/s tell them what to do in their daily life, where or how to spend their money, time etc. It is a phrase that sounds so spiritual but is very deceptive and tries to emotionally control people. What if you sense the Lord is leading you to disciple people and that occurs on a meeting time, will you be emotionally controlled to have to attend yet another meeting, rather than obeying the Holy Spirit to visit that person who needed support, guidance, etc at that time. Sadly the meeting seems to equal loving God, whereas God is about people and gathering even in 2`s and 3`s at different times.

Marilyn.     

• Brilliant! 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  320
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  6,829
  • Content Per Day:  0.85
  • Days Won:  1

Scripture plainly and clearly teaches that God calls women to preach. There is as much controversy regarding the subject, whether God calls women to preach as there is on all other doctrinal issues. Thankfully, as always, the Scriptures clear up this question like they do all others matters if we will but believe the Bible.

In the gospel there were several woman messengers who proclaimed the good news (Matt. 28:1-10; Luke 24:9-11; John 4:28-30; 20:16-18). Is proclaiming the good news preaching??

There is nothing in Scripture which says women cannot be used by God to further His work on this Earth?

Regarding these end time days, in Acts we have a prediction that God will pour out of His Spirit in the last days "UPON ALL FLESH; and your sons and DAUGHTERS shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams; and upon my servants and upon my HANDMAIDENS I will pour out of my Spirit and they will prophesy." Prophesying is explained in 1 Cor. 14:3-4 as "speaking unto MEN to edification and exhortation and comfort." Thats preaching, teaching, praying, in anyones language. and God says He will pour out His Spirit upon men and WOMEN to enable them to do this!

These following passages prove to any unbiased mind that prophesying is for the church which has men and WOMEN members (1 Cor. 12:1-13; 14:1-6, 12, 24-26, 29-33).

In Acts 21:8-9 we read Philip had four daughters that did prophecy or preach in the early church.

In Romans 16 we have Phebe, Priscilla, Mary Junia, Tryphosa, Persis, all female names, women mentioned as laborers in the gospel.

In Phil. 4:2-3 we have Euodias and Syntyche, two women who are emntioned as leaders in the local church at Philippi. They are referred to as "those WOMEN which labored with me in the Gospel."

Paul speakes of the Corinthian women prophesying and praying in church (1 Cor. 11:4; 14:1-5, 23-26).

When paul said for women to "keep silence in the church" he was not speaking of women prophesying or praying, but he referred to asking their husbands certain things at church.

He said, "If they will learn anything, let them ask their husbands at home" and not in the church (1 Cor. 14:34-35). But that they could speak and prophecy and pray in church is clear from 1 Cor. 11:4; 14:3-4, 23-26; and Acts 2:16-21.

Women have been used in all ages by God, Read there Scriptures and some men can disbelieve them if they want, but who realy cares? Its the Scriptures which matter and not what some men think. (Ex. 15:20; Judges 4:4; 2 Kings 22:14; 2 Chron. 34:22; Neh. 6:14; Isa. 8:3; Luke 1:39-56; 2:36).
God is soverign and He can use a woman when He pleases and He does not have to ask some mere man whom He should use and whether He should use a women or man. And most women I have heard have made more sense regarding doctrin than most men I have ever heard regarding doctrin or the actual Word of God?

Leaving the question of women aside regarding their Christian walk and what motivates them regarding God's Word, we can just as easily ask, "What dominates the average male Christians life regarding God's Word?"

It is not the major sins of the flesh that men permit to dominate them, but it is the sin of constantly doubting God and His Word that destroys the thruth and men’s relationship with Him.

Doubting God's Word is not circumstancial, its a free will choice. One can either believe what God says, or doubt what God says. Nothing but confusion results from being dishonest with God's Word. If facts which are stated in the Bible and other theories are not, then which would be the more sensible thing to believe? If one decides to believe the simplicity of the Bible all subjects will be easy to understand. If we accept the incomprehensible theories of men, then the Bible becomes incomprehensible. Lets get our own house in order guys, instead of continually straining at gnats regarding women in the church.

• Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,204
  • Content Per Day:  3.35
  • Days Won:  30

Paul is referring to women teaching in churches.  I do not believe this applies to secular situations.  Some of the best secular teachers I have had have been women in public schools and state college.  

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  940
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,412
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

"Can women teach men outside of church?"

Every time I read this thread title I am tempted to respond, "Sure but can we learn?"

Tempted, but I won't do it.