• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  596
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,043
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

1 hour ago, JesusChristisLord said:

Thanks.

I do not feel comfortable giving too much personal information, so I apologise but I will not answer your question about why I created this thread for now.

College selectivity is not really that important to me.

I'm ok with that...   for the record.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,990
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,688
  • Content Per Day:  11.83
  • Days Won:  226

There are many colleges that have GPA requirements. You will have to notify a college of your choice to see what their requirements are. 

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  26
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

On 4/18/2019 at 10:21 AM, missmuffet said:

There are many colleges that have GPA requirements. You will have to notify a college of your choice to see what their requirements are. 

Thank you.

It seems most colleges that are not community colleges require at least a B average, but a few may accept a C average though an applicant with lower grades may need a higher SAT score.

I am looking at colleges that have a minimum requirement of not higher than a B or C average.

A reason I am looking at college is because there are some jobs that require a college degree. I am not looking at a math, science or philosophy major but more at majors that relate to the area of human or social services.

Technically in some places like Canada I think the term "college" may also refer to more vocational fields of study, but I am referring to "college" more in the traditional academic sense.

One thing that I have noticed is some state universities with high acceptance rates seem to have at have less than a 50% graduation rate. It also seems that you would be put on academic probation or academically disqualified for GPAs that the university  considers to be too low (some do not academically disqualify freshman students during their 1st and 2nd quarter), making it seem potentially more stressful than high school (just something to be aware of).

Edited by JesusChristisLord

On 4/18/2019 at 9:51 AM, Deborah_ said:

When I was a teenager, I was told that in order to get into university, you needed to have an IQ of at least 120 (i.e. well above average). But that was 50 years ago - and university education has changed since then! The UK Government wants at least 50% of young adults to go to university, which means an IQ of 100 would now be sufficient here (at least for some courses).

"University" now covers a much broader range of education than it used to, so a lot depends on what type of course you want to do. But I would have thought that someone with a below-average IQ is likely to find any academic course a bit of a struggle. So why do you want to go to university? Are there no other options that might suit you better?

Have you achieved the necessary grades in your school subjects? If you have, then the IQ test result probably doesn't mean much. If you haven't, then university probably isn't for you. If you go and then find yourself out of your depth, you won't be happy.

Other options other than a Bachelor's degree include possibly an associate's degree, or some form of post-secondary vocational training and/or full-time employment.

Possibly a "gap year" where the decision of whether to go to college (and major of study or career path) can be made later.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  332
  • Content Per Day:  0.16

You can do math when you play basketball. Calculate the momentum, use statistics to gauge whether you want to take the shot or not... Or you could just dribble the ball and play it by instinct. Honestly, the vast majority of jobs you have to go to college for could just do on-the-job training, but then that lacks prestige. Think of it like driving. The manual makes it kind of complicated, but then you get used to driving and it almost becomes second instinct. College is a bunch of technical babble to explain something that's more simple in practice.

While numbers are important, one must never forget the element of people. If you make a good enough impression, you're willing to put in that extra effort to succeed, someone can give you a chance. If you have all of the qualifications for a job, but you show up wearing pajama bottoms and the most that they get out of you is a grunt or two, the job is going to be given to the more enthusiastic prospect. You would have to study hard, but i'm sure that if you want to, you can succeed.

I was also going to suggest non-college options, as many jobs don't require a degree and still pay as much if not more than college careers, but then I read that you're seeking social work. I don't think that social workers are held to an exceptional standard; you're dealing with people, not doing brain surgery. One of those community places might be good enough. Even then, do you have a set career path in mind? I can think of a few trades a person could go to trade school for as well, if their intention is to work with people.

On 4/20/2019 at 12:11 AM, dr3032 said:

You can do math when you play basketball. Calculate the momentum, use statistics to gauge whether you want to take the shot or not... Or you could just dribble the ball and play it by instinct. Honestly, the vast majority of jobs you have to go to college for could just do on-the-job training, but then that lacks prestige. Think of it like driving. The manual makes it kind of complicated, but then you get used to driving and it almost becomes second instinct. College is a bunch of technical babble to explain something that's more simple in practice.

While numbers are important, one must never forget the element of people. If you make a good enough impression, you're willing to put in that extra effort to succeed, someone can give you a chance. If you have all of the qualifications for a job, but you show up wearing pajama bottoms and the most that they get out of you is a grunt or two, the job is going to be given to the more enthusiastic prospect. You would have to study hard, but i'm sure that if you want to, you can succeed.

I was also going to suggest non-college options, as many jobs don't require a degree and still pay as much if not more than college careers, but then I read that you're seeking social work. I don't think that social workers are held to an exceptional standard; you're dealing with people, not doing brain surgery. One of those community places might be good enough. Even then, do you have a set career path in mind? I can think of a few trades a person could go to trade school for as well, if their intention is to work with people.

Thank you.

Some careers I do have in mind are jobs such as certified nursing assistant, care worker, or careers in the area of rehabilitation services (e.g. physical therapy aide or assistant). 

My intention is definitely to work with people. :) 

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  1,502
  • Content Per Day:  0.66

On 4/18/2019 at 2:31 AM, JesusChristisLord said:

Can someone with an official overall IQ test score in the range of 87-94 (as measured by an IQ test given by a professional) graduate university successfully? If so, at what level (Associate's, Bachelor's, post-Bachelor's, Master's)?

I realise the answer to this question probably also depends on several other factors, but I would like a general idea.

Where JesusChristIsLord, anything is possible, yes?

13 minutes ago, Billiards Ball said:

Where JesusChristIsLord, anything is possible, yes?

Yes, I believe that all things are possible for God, and the things that are impossible with men are possible with God (Matthew 19:27).

I believe with men it is impossible to be saved, but with God through His grace and mercy by the blood of the Lord Jesus Christ all who come to Him and believe in the Lord Jesus Christ can be saved (John 1:12).

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  1,502
  • Content Per Day:  0.66

7 minutes ago, JesusChristisLord said:

Yes, I believe that all things are possible for God, and the things that are impossible with men are possible with God (Matthew 19:27).

With men it is impossible to be saved, but with God through His grace and mercy by the blood of the Lord Jesus Christ all who come to Him and believe in the Lord Jesus Christ can be saved (John 1:12).

Amen to that, yes!

Persistence is the key to a college degree for most and not at all intelligence or even high intelligence--showing up faithfully to class, faithfully adhering to the professor's rules, studying--the hallmarks of a faithful brother or sister in Christ.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  950
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,528
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

On 4/18/2019 at 2:31 AM, JesusChristisLord said:

Can someone with an official overall IQ test score in the range of 87-94 (as measured by an IQ test given by a professional) graduate university successfully? If so, at what level (Associate's, Bachelor's, post-Bachelor's, Master's)?

I realise the answer to this question probably also depends on several other factors, but I would like a general idea.

Do not limit yourself to the standards of others, never accept limits placed upon you by "experts". Never stop educating yourself.

My own IQ was first recorded as 128, that number didn't help me a bit. I failed foreign language, took French 1 four times.  I was a failure according to college entry requirements of the time.

Didn't matter God led me to a wife to be and to a career that required a specialty school education which I aced and then passed with high percentile scores two board exams one state  and one national. I then attended community colleges for many years taking courses that interested me ( Law Advertising Marketing Photography ) did that for over fifteen years. Then  learned the hospitality industry and also construction obtaining a State contractors license  and investing. I have had six distinct careers and have found in each a chance to be of good service to others and to support myself and my family.   The point in sharing of that is to emphasize do not let others set limits on you. Accept nothing less than what you want to accomplish as your goal for the day, each and every day. 

Life is a long process, do not let anyone set limits upon your day nor your future days.

Important for you; Read the book "Finish First Winning Changes Everything"  by Scott Hamilton!!!