douge

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  354
  • Topics Per Day:  0.17
  • Content Count:  964
  • Content Per Day:  0.46
  • Days Won:  0

Isaiah 42:1 Behold my servant, whom I uphold; mine elect, in whom my soul delighteth; I have put my spirit upon him: he shall bring forth judgment to the Gentiles.

1 Peter 2:6 Wherefore also it is contained in the scripture, Behold, I lay in Sion a chief corner stone, elect, precious: and he that believeth on him shall not be confounded.

From the verses above it can be seen that Jesus Christ is the elect.

Isaiah 45:4 For Jacob my servant's sake, and Israel mine elect, I have even called thee by thy name: I have surnamed thee, though thou hast not known me.

Isaiah 65:22 They shall not build, and another inhabit; they shall not plant, and another eat: for as the days of a tree are the days of my people, and mine elect shall long enjoy the work of their hands.

Israel also is called the elect of God. Elect also means chosen. God chose Israel. Through Israel would come salvation to the ends of the world.

Mark 13:19 For in those days shall be affliction, such as was not from the beginning of the creation which God created unto this time, neither shall be.

13:20 And except that the Lord had shortened those days, no flesh should be saved: but for the elect's sake, whom he hath chosen, he hath shortened the days.

God will shorten the tribulation for the elect's sake, Israel. The body of Christ is also called the elect but could not be in view in Mark 13:20 because it had not yet been revealed to Paul.

2 Timothy 2:10 Therefore I endure all things for the elect's sakes, that they may also obtain the salvation which is in Christ Jesus with eternal glory.

I understand that in 2 Timothy Paul is speaking of the Jews. Paul endures all things that the Jews may also be saved. Paul's desire was to see his brethren, Israel, saved.

Colossians 3:12 Put on therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved, bowels of mercies, kindness, humbleness of mind, meekness, longsuffering;

The body of Christ is called elect because we have been chosen in Christ by God's election of grace, through faith.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  2,795
  • Content Per Day:  0.65
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  07/26/1952

I think, I think, you are finally saying the true believers, we who seek to obey the Lord in mind & deed are the elect also. I hope so because we are. We are also God's people. We also His sheep.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,990
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,688
  • Content Per Day:  11.84
  • Days Won:  226

The elect are all those who have a genuine belief in Jesus Christ. God knew before they were born if they would become born again Christians and would be saved and go to heaven. 

• This is Worthy 1
  • Praise God! 2

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,296
  • Content Per Day:  1.73

14 hours ago, douge said:

The body of Christ is called elect because we have been chosen in Christ by God's election of grace, through faith.

As Jesus says in John 10:29 'My Father has given them(us) to me.'

God the Father can only give thosewho he already has as his and that is because he chose us before he created the universe.

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  860
  • Content Per Day:  0.47

Speaking of the elect and the Apostle Paul enduring all things for their sakes.  That is all elect, whatever nationality that would be. We see all Paul endured, its plain to see, it was for our examples and ensamples, we meaning the Gentiles. Then we see what he was speaking of about enduring, was being dead with Him, suffering with Christ to reign with Him, not denying Him in works, being sincere...

2 Corinthians 12:19 Again, think ye that we excuse ourselves unto you? we speak before God in Christ: but we do all things, dearlybeloved, for your edifying.

2 Thessalonians 3:9 Not because we have not power, but to make ourselves an ensample unto you to follow us.

2 Timothy 2:10-12 Therefore I endure all things for the elect's sakes, that they may also obtain the salvation which is in Christ Jesus with eternal glory. It is a faithful saying: For if we be dead with him, we shall also live with him. If we suffer, we shall also reign with him: if we deny him, he also will deny us:

Sure, the Lord knows them that are His. Now let every mouth that names the name of Christ to depart from doing any iniquity, which is ungodliness, which is unrighteousness, and all unrighteousness is sin. 1 John 5:17. Purge ourselves from dishonour, be honourable, holy, meet for God to dwell in us, not defiling the temple of God or be destroyed. Flee the lusts to be able to follow after righteousness and faith and charity and peace, and everyone who calls on the Lord with a pure heat will be doing the same as you..

1 Corinthians 3:17 If any man defile the temple of God, him shall Goddestroy; for the temple of God is holy, which temple ye are.

2 Timothy 2:19-22 Nevertheless the foundation of God standeth sure, having this seal, The Lord knoweth them that are his. And, let every one that nameth the name of Christ depart from iniquity.But in a great house there are not only vessels of gold and of silver, but also of wood and of earth; and some to honour, and some to dishonour. If a man therefore purge himself from these, he shall be a vessel unto honour, sanctified, and meet for the master's use, and prepared unto every good work. Flee also youthful lusts: but follow righteousness, faith, charity, peace, with them that call on the Lord out of a pure heart.

Assuming we are elect is not being elect. Christ knows He is the elect, all else are to follow the commandments or they just think they know God in a personal way, instead of the same way to all, as there is NO RESPECT OF PERSONS:

Romans 2:3-11 And thinkest thou this, O man, that judgest them which do such things, and doest the same, that thou shalt escape the judgment of God?Or despisest thou the riches of his goodness and forbearance and longsuffering; not knowing that the goodness of God leadeth thee to repentance? But after thy hardness and impenitent heart treasurest up unto thyself wrath against the day of wrath and revelation of the righteous judgment of God; Who will render to every man according to his deeds: To them who by patient continuance in well doing seek for glory and honour and immortality, eternal life: But unto them that are contentious, and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness, indignation and wrath, Tribulation and anguish, upon every soul of man that doeth evil, of the Jew first, and also of the Gentile; But glory, honour, and peace, to every man that worketh good, to the Jew first, and also to the Gentiles. For there is no respect of persons with God.

Titus 1:16 They profess that they know God; but in works they deny him, being abominable, and disobedient, and unto every good work reprobate.

Would the elect take these warnings very seriously ? Yes they would, and they would not need me to tell them. Being purged of our sins is the start, then you gain all in the very charity of the Lord. The surest way to know we are not the elect is to be empty of the things we need to be filled in, they never made diligence at all..

2 Peter 1:5-10  And beside this, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue; and to virtue knowledge; And to knowledge temperance; and to temperance patience; and to patience godliness; And to godliness brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness charity. For if these things be in you, and abound, they make you that ye shall neither be barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. But he that lacketh these things is blind, and cannot see afar off, and hath forgotten that he was purged from his old sins. Wherefore the rather, brethren, give diligence to make your calling and election sure: for if ye do these things, ye shall never fall:

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  3,024
  • Content Per Day:  1.34
  • Days Won:  3

So, this answers the question: Do we choose him or does he choose us? 

:)

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,224
  • Content Per Day:  3.34
  • Days Won:  30

4 minutes ago, Still Alive said:

So, this answers the question: Do we choose him or does he choose us? 

:)

both

• Thumbs Up 2
  • This is Worthy 1

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  3,024
  • Content Per Day:  1.34
  • Days Won:  3

7 minutes ago, Willa said:

both

Kinda like being chosen on a school playground for one side's football team" They point at you and you have to walk over? You can't say, "But I want to be on the other team!"

Edited by Still Alive

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  860
  • Content Per Day:  0.47

There is one example of God choosing us and not we choosing Him. Not just the words that He has chosen us and not us choosing Him, but we see the way things work past that, once chosen by God, the people cannot speak evil of Christ, they are prevented, neither can they cease to preach the Gospel, as Peter answered, they have nowhere to go any more and woe is for anyone who thinks they can choose a thing, even Judas was chosen to be the betrayer and could not get out of it, we see clearly the devil entered his heart to ensure the Lord does the choosing and not man ever..:

John 15:16 Ye have not chosen me, but I have chosen you, and ordained you, that ye should go and bring forth fruit, and that your fruit should remain: that whatsoever ye shall ask of the Father in my name, he may give it you.

Acts 9:15 But the Lord said unto him, Go thy way: for he is a chosen vessel unto me, to bear my name before the Gentiles, and kings, and the children of Israel:

1 Corinthians 9:16 For though I preach the gospel, I have nothing to glory of: for necessity is laid upon me; yea, woe is unto me, if I preach not the gospel!

Mark 9:39 But Jesus said, Forbid him not: for there is no man which shall do a miracle in my name, that can lightly speak evil of me.

John 6:67 Then said Jesus unto the twelve, Will ye also go away?68 Then Simon Peter answered him, Lord, to whom shall we go? thou hast the words of eternal life.69 And we believe and are sure that thou art that Christ, the Son of the living God.70 Jesus answered them, Have not I chosen you twelve, and one of you is a devil?71 He spake of Judas Iscariot the son of Simon: for he it was that should betray him, being one of the twelve.

John 13:26  Jesus answered, He it is, to whom I shall give a sop, when I have dipped it. And when he had dipped the sop, he gave it to Judas Iscariot, the son of Simon.27 And after the sop Satan entered into him. Then said Jesus unto him, That thou doest, do quickly.