IGNORED

Can I use pictures from the internet to put bible verses and post it on instagram?

NathWChristian

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  21
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  58
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0

On pinterest you can find really beautiful pictures like these:
Sometimes these images have the source linked to them, but sometimes you cant tell who is the owner of these pictures.
Also, there are many images on google you do not know who is the ''owner'' of them.

Would it be wrong to put Bible verses in these images and upload it on instagram, like this:

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  771
  • Topics Per Day:  0.34
  • Content Count:  6,929
  • Content Per Day:  3.07
  • Days Won:  1

It has copyrights.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  596
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,043
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

the answer to your question would be yes and no.....    it is very difficult to know which pictures are copyrighted and which are in the public domain...   it's really kind of complicated because of the way the different places make them available..

Even google images may or may not be copyrighted.

a decent article     https://sarafhawkins.com/avoiding-copyright-pitfalls-on-pinterest/

• Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,696
  • Content Per Day:  2.46
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

General rule of thumb that most courts go by is if its posted on fb its public domain and anyone can do what they want with them...technically thats not always "true" it copyright laws are next to impossible to enforce online. Which is why most professional artists and photographers watermark their images before posting them online.

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  57
  • Topic Count:  1,546
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  10,320
  • Content Per Day:  1.41
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  11/05/1951

NathWChristian,

I hate to respond to a question with a question or two, but it is hard to give concise and accurate replies with out knowing some things about you.

Are you a professing Christian, it makes a difference. 

When you ask about wrong, do you mean morally, or are you asking about legality and or consequences.

Also, you need to read the rules of the service you are using, where you will be posting these, and abide by their rules.

I also wonder, out of curiosity, if you think using an image well somehow make God's words suddenly more meaningful.

Also, there is an issue that I myself am not clear one . . .  that regards the laws of where you live, the laws where the server that you post on is located, or maybe the laws where that provider is incorporated, and the laws of where these images are seen.

As Patriot, said, much of this is all but unenforceable. For a Christian, it is also about obedience to God and alignment with his will. 

Now, let me have you think about something, and you can answer my question following, then apply the same sort of thinking to my question:

Suppose I want to get people to read God's word, or some verses from it. No suppose, there was a really popular movie last year, that I know people will want to watch. Would it be OK for me, to make a copy of that movie, and overlay some Bible verses on it?  Morally and legally, these situations are analogous. If you do not have the permission of the owner of the copyright, then you do not have permission, not that complicated, is it?

• Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,795
  • Content Per Day:  6.22
  • Days Won:  58

Why not take your own photos and add scripture to it? Depending on which version of the bible you use there are copyright issues with them too. When I get home later I will post an example of one Ive done using my own photo.

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  57
  • Topic Count:  1,546
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  10,320
  • Content Per Day:  1.41
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  11/05/1951

Pretty much most, if not all Bibles, may be quoted briefly, and least if the version credit is present.

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  596
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,043
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

On 4/26/2019 at 6:19 AM, NathWChristian said:
On pinterest you can find really beautiful pictures like these:
Sometimes these images have the source linked to them, but sometimes you cant tell who is the owner of these pictures.
Also, there are many images on google you do not know who is the ''owner'' of them.

Would it be wrong to put Bible verses in these images and upload it on instagram, like this:

Have you looked into the two threads we have here on worthy where we post photographs.   There are several hundred pages of some nice photographs in those.   You would be welcome to use any that I have posted.  All that I have posted are pictures that I did myself or are public domain to the best of my knowledge.  There are some talented folks that post there and being members here I would think they would be ok with using them to share the gospel....   any of us are just a PM away from permission.  

On 4/27/2019 at 8:31 AM, other one said:

Have you looked into the two threads we have here on worthy where we post photographs.   There are several hundred pages of some nice photographs in those.   You would be welcome to use any that I have posted.  All that I have posted are pictures that I did myself or are public domain to the best of my knowledge.  There are some talented folks that post there and being members here I would think they would be ok with using them to share the gospel....   any of us are just a PM away from permission.  

Hi, thanks for answring

where can I find these threads?

On 4/26/2019 at 11:26 PM, The_Patriot2019 said:

General rule of thumb that most courts go by is if its posted on fb its public domain and anyone can do what they want with them...technically thats not always "true" it copyright laws are next to impossible to enforce online. Which is why most professional artists and photographers watermark their images before posting them online.

so photos on facebook and instagram are public domain?