IGNORED

Questions about Noahs Flood (is it logical or just magic you have to believe)

Leyla

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.96
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

1 hour ago, Kristin said:

My idea is maybe the world was flat before the flood.

There are a number that believe it still is. The given scientific evidence they give looks like a doily when you hold it up to the light, however. Too many holes. :rolleyes:

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  29
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,240
  • Content Per Day:  2.14
  • Days Won:  4

8 hours ago, Kristin said:

My idea is maybe the world was flat before the flood. The flood caused the mountains.

It sounds to me you are talking about the topography of the earth surface, that the elevations were much flatter, not that the planet was flat instead of a roughly spherical globe. Am I right about what you are suggesting?

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  3,015
  • Content Per Day:  1.35
  • Days Won:  3

On 4/28/2019 at 10:03 AM, Leyla said:

1) How can a planet be habitable after global flood on such a big scale?                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              2)How did all sea life survive?                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  3) After the flood was over, what were animals supposed to eat? Carnivores would kill off all the saved animals and plant eating animals would have nothing to eat.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               4) Even if we assume that the animals survived and had enough oxygen, food etc... how did they find their way back home, to the different regions in all the other continents?                                                                                  5)  If we world was flooded on this big scale, why cant we find any evidence?? Do you think our scientists are really so incompetent, that they cant find even one evidence for it?                                                                               [Edit: Thanks for all the answer and sorry for the late replies. I will try my best to respond as soon as possible]

Here is a great article with links that can give some really good perspective on the whole discussion:  https://drmsh.com/argue-biblical-text-local-regional-flood-instead-global-flood/

Keep in mind that it may appear the author is an adherent of the "local flood" argument, but that is not really the takeaway from the article. And even if it were to be, one of the best ways to solidify your understanding of a subject is to read the other side's points/arguments. 

And to be clear, I HIGHLY recommend Dr. Heiser's "naked bible" podcast. I have a three hour commute and have hit all 276 episodes. It's eye opening - even regarding parts of the bible I used to see as "boring".

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  29
  • Content Count:  5,240
  • Content Per Day:  2.14
  • Days Won:  4

6 minutes ago, Still Alive said:

Here is a great article with links that can give some really good perspective on the whole discussion:  https://drmsh.com/argue-biblical-text-local-regional-flood-instead-global-flood/

I tried much earlier in this thread to ask people to read a similar article from a different Biblical scholar. The replies I received indicated that simply reading an article from a different viewpoint is far too much to ask some people to do. Maybe you will have better luck since you aren't the obvious heathen that I am. :)

9 minutes ago, Still Alive said:

And to be clear, I HIGHLY recommend Dr. Heiser's "naked bible" podcast. I have a three hour commute and have hit all 276 episodes.

I should really give that a try. I thought I had a commute (~50 minutes each way) but you have mine beat by a wide margin! I'll pray that your commute time be safe as well as a positive time for thought and reflection!

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  3,015
  • Content Per Day:  1.35
  • Days Won:  3

4 minutes ago, one.opinion said:

I tried much earlier in this thread to ask people to read a similar article from a different Biblical scholar. The replies I received indicated that simply reading an article from a different viewpoint is far too much to ask some people to do. Maybe you will have better luck since you aren't the obvious heathen that I am. :)

I should really give that a try. I thought I had a commute (~50 minutes each way) but you have mine beat by a wide margin! I'll pray that your commute time be safe as well as a positive time for thought and reflection!

Heh. Half my commute is on two lane twisties in rural, south-central Kentucky in my FR-S. We pray every morning that God protect me from deer. I've actually driven between two deer at 65 mph where one mirror missed the head of one and the butt of the other by six inches or less. And I've seen deer on most of my commutes, yet, after 185,000 miles so far, I've not hit a single one. God is faithful!

And someone actually posted to me once, regarding 1 Enoch, "...God tells us not to read such books...". I asked them where in the bible it says that and never got a response. It is sad that so many Christians are prevented from reading ancient works simply because they are not part of the canon. Heck, the original authors of the books of the bible quote them quite a bit. If we read them, we can understand what was in the heads of those writers when they quoted them.

If I say to someone that this or that bible story and message is similar to something in a certain fictional movie, one would understand what I meant only after watching the movie.

A lot of Christians are intentionally keep themselves ignorant under the guise of "innocent as doves". Innocence is not the same as ignorance.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,695
  • Content Per Day:  0.45
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  04/11/1968

On 7/24/2019 at 5:48 AM, Kristin said:

My idea is maybe the world was flat before the flood. The flood caused the mountains. You are correct about shells and sea creature fossils on high mountains and hills and valleys. The evidence is there and documented. 

Aah Kristin, at last someone makes sense. If we take Bible time frames literally, that "kinds" of animals were created less than 6500 years ago, then the fossil record and geology should represent the last 6500 years. 

Before the big tectonic movements that created the huge mountain ranges of today was an event called the Great Dying, or the End Permian extinction (also abbreviated the P-Tr boundary) 

At this event it is geologically established by scientists that there were great movements of sediment, increasing sea levels and the world's vegetation turned into a rotting biomass. The ice caps melted then. This was all started when the fountains of the great deep burst forth in the greatest ever volcanic event known as the Siberia Traps. The ice caps melted including massive glaciation unlike the small ice caps of today. 

Only after that event did the great mountain ranges of today form. At that time it was really only a range of mountains called the Blue Ridge Mountains. No one knows how high those hills were, because those mountaintops were...... Eroded/washed away. So yes, the topography was a lot flatter back then at the P-Tr boundary. 

Edited by ARGOSY