IGNORED

When I pray do I have to use a certain tone?

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  50
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0

When I pray do I have to use a certain tone or Language?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.81
  • Days Won:  226

You can use any tone you want. You can pray with your eyes open, your eyes closed, kneeling, walking, driving down the street in your car. It does not matter. What really matters is that you pray. 

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Praise God! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  52
  • Topic Count:  1,017
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  12,293
  • Content Per Day:  1.79
  • Days Won:  92

Just be yourself and talk to your heavenly Father in a natural way.   Of course, we do reverence our Lord, but pray knowing He loves you.

• Praise God! 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  332
  • Content Per Day:  0.16

You have to speak Russian in B flat.

Not really. I think what God loves and desires most is honesty, so just be yourself. Still have reverence of course, as Debp said.

• Haha 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,625
  • Content Per Day:  0.79
  • Days Won:  1

21 hours ago, Ryan2203 said:

Shalom Ryan,

No tone or language is prescribed in the Bible really, except one of reverence and love.

It's very important to remember the Fear of Yahweh and well as the love.  Far too many Christian's get wrapped up in the Love of Yahweh and speak far too irreverently to Him.  Yes, He is our Father, but he is also the King of the Universe, the Creator of all things.

Therefore, when I pray (personally), I approach Him as I would if I was in the Tabernacle in the Wilderness, before the Ark of the Covenant - because that isn't too far from the truth.  Your prayers rise up before His throne as the incense within the Tabernacle did.  So, I bow myself down with reverence when I pray, as I would if I was there physically, and don't speak commonly or without self-awareness.  That's me personally though, not a commandment!

Love & Shalom

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  596
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,073
  • Content Per Day:  7.55
  • Days Won:  271

He has told us that we can approach the throne boldly.....     Just talk to him like you would your best friend....     well...…   actually he is my best friend...   My Lord and master....but, really, he came down here and died in my place so we could be together

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  39
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Birthday:  08/11/1977

Pray what you feel. You don't have to speak eloquently or formally.

"Lord Jesus, I need a lawnmower. Amen"

When I wake up in the morning, I say "Good morning, Father." When I eat, I just say "Thank you, Lord."

Your methods may vary.

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  951
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,561
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

On 4/28/2019 at 2:39 PM, Ryan2203 said:

Yes, it is wise to learn the attributes of God, and the names of God for they are attributes. Those names in mind might well lead to learning and then appreciating the awesome power that is God, and will definitely result in respect that will affect tone and vocabulary and especially purpose in prayer to God.

God is not a doting uncle. He is not a sidekick companion one to just hang out with. He is awesome to be feared God. Some sense of awe might be in order. Humility definitely is in order. 

What a friend we have in Jesus may be a fun little tune, but that does not make Jesus one's seesaw pal at the playground  of life.

Incarnated  in the flesh Jesus is seemingly not casual about His prayer to His Father. He intercedes with His father on behalf of each of those given Him by His Father. Seems a serious business to me, and not one to just casually think upon and say, "Hey while you are at it  I could use a new set of tires".

While it is good and respectful to give thanks to God for all things, big and small, including a new set of tires, it is not especially respectful to take that giving of thanks lightly. Give thanks to God continually is not to be casual, but is to recognize God in all that is about us, as well as to better set each of us to doing His will  just as Jesus did His Father's will.

We are to be holy as He is Holy, commands of us an intensely serious sense of respect, awe, fear, and humility  in all that we do including  our prayers.

Jesus lectured His Apostles, disciples have heard and it is recorded for all of us, as to proper manner of prayer and the record mentions why there is no power in cetain prayer.   Jesus Incarnate "sweat" blood  [Personally I see or interpret that as; His intensity  was so great that he broke blood vascular system capillaries during His prayers to His Father] in his own prayer to His Father.

None the less, the example of the shortest prayer has no formality to it.  Instead it has urgency; " Lord, Save Me!" was the urgent prayer screamed out by Peter when doubt entered his mind and he sank into the turbulent sea. Peter's shortest recorded prayer in our Bible does not reflect a casual attitude, but does scream desperately  of humility within a bold man with a serious need.

So a casual walk and talk with Jesus? Don't think so, instead a joyous following in the sheepfold and upon the many fields of our Lord Jesus  comforted by the sound of His voice the word of God the Bible is our Joy. 

Our certainty is that Jesus is Lord, is God, is savior. He who came, died, descended, arose again, spoke walked and shared, and then ascended, and will return again for us to be with Him His Father and God the Holy Spirit eternally. Seems to me that earns deepest  respect, and demands the time to take care in prayer in all things all the time. Does that result in a tone and a vocabulary? Yes  of course it does! But, is there a rote prayer  or a rote tone or vocabulary? No there is not, for that would deny the personal respect for God learned as a bond-servant of our Lord Jesus.

• 1 year later...

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,176
  • Content Per Day:  0.85
  • Birthday:  04/29/1987

On 4/28/2019 at 7:39 PM, Ryan2203 said:

Just be yourself and communicate how you would. God understands everyone in every context.