Is swearing a serious sin?

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  50
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0

Is watching certain movies with swear words and saying swear words a serious sin? Will I go to hell for it?

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  57
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,400
  • Content Per Day:  0.27

The Bible does speak on bad language in Colossians 3:8. "But now you must also rid yourselves of all such things as these: anger, rage, malice, slander, and filthy language from your lips." Ephesians 5:4 and Matthew 15: 11 echo the sentiment.

In today's world it's very hard to go without hearing any profanity at all, but we should strive to limit our exposure. Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks. (Matthew 12:34 and restated elsewhere). If you saturate yourself in profanity it will seem more and more natural and acceptable.

Keep in mind that sin is sin. Any sin will send us to Hell, but Hell is also the default unless we accept Jesus. We're saved by grace, not by works, but at the same time it's clear that God's grace isn't permission to sin. We struggle with sin and we fail at times because that's just human nature. It's something we should strive to overcome through Jesus.

• Thumbs Up 3

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.93
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

No, Ryan. You won't go to Hell for swearing, but it's not a godly thing to do. Using the Lord's name in vain in words cursing His holy name, is certainly displeasing to Him. It's also in the Ten Commandments, and something I would say is a 'biggie'. One can not be in the world today, and help but hear somebody swearing now and then. But it would be a good thing to limit your exposure to movies that use derogatory language such as swearing. God bless. 

Shalom, 

David/BeauJangles

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  107
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,820
  • Content Per Day:  1.30
  • Days Won:  2

32 minutes ago, Ryan2203 said:

Is watching certain movies with swear words and saying swear words a serious sin? Will I go to hell for it?

All sin is serious.  So says the Bible.  If we really took the time to understand what sin is, things on this earth would change.

Will you go to hell for swearing?  No, what sends people to hell is the rejections of Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior and living in obedience to him as a result.

Does that mean that swearing is tolerable, not a "bad" sin, or God just winks at it and overlooks it.

No.  Jesus said that whatever is in abundance in your  heart - that's what comes out of your mouth.  {Matthew 12}

So if nastiness, a desire to shock other people, a desire to hurt/embarrass others, pride, and deep anger in filling up and overflowing in your heart - that's what is going to come out of your mouth.  Words that are foul, shock people, hurt/embarrass people, draw attention in the wrong way to you, and vocalize a bitterness that damaging to you.

It's not a matter of trying to clean up your mouth.  It's matter of cleaning up your heart.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.81
  • Days Won:  226

It is a sin. You ask for forgiveness of your sins.  It is a bad habit to get into and a difficult habit to break. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,154
  • Content Per Day:  7.98
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

Sin is sin and the least is the same as the greatest

James 2:10

10 For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all.
KJV

God who has no sin will not accept any sin to come in to Him.... You must be righteous to be with God!

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  52
  • Topic Count:  1,017
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  12,296
  • Content Per Day:  1.79
  • Days Won:  92

Some good replies already.   You won't go to Hell for swearing if you have trusted Christ as Savior, however it is always best to watch our mouths as the Bible teaches us.   We feel better when we speak in a nicer and kind manner and also we want to be a good representative of Christ.

Sometimes it's hard to avoid hearing bad language in public...I just think "oh I don't like that when I hear the words".   It helps me.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  137
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Birthday:  05/27/1943

This depends on what you mean by swearing or cursing. 

To swear means to invoke either God or something you regard as sacred to attest to your truthfulness. To swear on a Bible as a witness in court is an example. to do so frivolously is certainly questionable but to do so in an intent to deceive is certainly sinful.

To curse means to invoke either God or something you regard as sacred to call down evil upon someone else. To say "God damn you!" is an example. To do so in a moment of anger is certainly questionable but do so and actually mean it in a literal way is certainly sinful.

However those two terms are frequently used to refer to vulgar speech or potty mouth or what are referred to as four letter words and this is an entirely different matter. Many people do so habitually without a second thought. I find this distasteful but I hesitate to call it sinful.

Some background might be helpful for English speakers. In AD 1066 the Normans conquered England. Almost immediately the French speaking Normans tried to suppress the Anglo-Saxon language.  This was strongly resisted and today almost a thousand years later perfectly normal Anglo-Saxon words for body parts and functions still survive. They started as a form of subversive speech and still serve that same function today.

• 1 year later...

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,176
  • Content Per Day:  0.85
  • Birthday:  04/29/1987

On 4/28/2019 at 7:41 PM, Ryan2203 said:

You wont go to hell for watching movies with swearing in them. Those people will go to hell if they maintain that lifestyle.