• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,502
  • Content Per Day:  0.66
  • Days Won:  0

On 4/29/2019 at 10:58 PM, ContinuingCorletta said:

How do we avoid being angry with those who make no effort to avoid pushing your buttons again and again? 

Avoid them, be they Internet trolls or family members!

Jesus warned us about pearls and swine. Save your pearls...

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,224
  • Content Per Day:  3.34
  • Days Won:  30

Some people like controlling others that way.  Some people tease the people that they like in that way.  Some are just mean and cruel.  I had a cousin who mocked the way I talked when I was little.  She was merciless in ridiculing me when she was 7 when I was 3.  70 years later she still humiliates me in public by reminding me in a mocking way.  I now change the subject by making another joke about myself; since that is what she wants to do, I'll do it better.  It shuts her up.   I avoid her when possible.

Probably older brothers are renown for harassing siblings that way.  It takes some people a long to realize how unChrist like and unloving it makes them look.  You might tell them that when treating you that way they are only making themselves look bad. 

• Loved it! 1
  • Thanks 1

• Followers:  19
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,360
  • Content Per Day:  0.66

On 5/1/2019 at 2:46 AM, Who me said:

Finaly commit the whole situation to God. Tell him about your frustratioin, your hurt, feelings of rejection etc ask God to challenge them in how they behave and pray seriously for their good.

Note, You Do Not have to forgive them. All you have to do is commit them over to God, them and all your feelings about it.

Just wanted to point out something Who me, I have found that when I've gone to The Lord lastly, I've had more frustrations than I needed, it's so much easier to go to Him FIRST, saves a lot of heartache. Have to agree with missmuffet, that while you say, we don't have to forgive them, yes, really we do, for if we don't, we allow unforgiveness to "harbour" in our hearts, and we don't want that to keep us in right relationship with Jesus, and people. So really, when we give advice to folk, we need to be mindful of what we share, that it's positive and encouraging, just saying. As always, I hope this is helpful, loving you in Jesus, God bless.

• This is Worthy 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  24
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,459
  • Content Per Day:  0.60
  • Days Won:  2

On 4/29/2019 at 9:58 PM, ContinuingCorletta said:

How do we avoid being angry with those who make no effort to avoid pushing your buttons again and again? 

Some people are simply so toxic and manipulative that it is best to avoid them for our own good.   However, sometimes our reactions show us something inside of us that needs to change.   Emotional buttons that trigger our anger (or fear or sadness or other negative emotions) might be indicators of things that need to be healed or changed inside of us.  A number of years ago, God took me on a journey of emotional and spiritual growth and healing (this was after I'd been a Christian for 30 some years).   I found that a number of things that used to seriously bother me simply stopped mattering to me.  People and situations in my life that consistently triggered bad reactions simply stopped affecting me.  They hadn't changed;  I had.

I find now that whenever I have a strong negative reaction to someone or a situation, I try to take a step back and just ask myself why it is bothering me so much.  I find that these situations are often enlightening opportunities for growth and change.  Instead of blaming so-and-so for how they are acting, I look inside and figure out why I am reacting so strongly.   Having said this, some people and situations are so unhealthy that they do need to be avoided.

• This is Worthy 2
  • Loved it! 1
  • Thanks 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,298
  • Content Per Day:  1.73

13 hours ago, Heybro said:

Just wanted to point out something Who me, I have found that when I've gone to The Lord lastly, I've had more frustrations than I needed, it's so much easier to go to Him FIRST, saves a lot of heartache. Have to agree with missmuffet, that while you say, we don't have to forgive them, yes, really we do, for if we don't, we allow unforgiveness to "harbour" in our hearts, and we don't want that to keep us in right relationship with Jesus, and people. So really, when we give advice to folk, we need to be mindful of what we share, that it's positive and encouraging, just saying. As always, I hope this is helpful, loving you in Jesus, God bless.

What part of commit them and all your feelings about the situation over to God doesn't deal with retained bitter feelings or harbouring unforgiveness?

What realy is unhelpful to struggling Christians is to blythly state that one MUST forgive.

Our pattern is God. He does not have to forgive us, it is because of his grace, love and mercy that he extends forgiveness to us.

BUT it is conditional.  Conditional on our repenting, without that we are NOT forgiven.

read Luke17:3"If your brother or sister] sins against you, rebuke them; and if they repent, forgive them. 4 Even if they sin against you seven times in a day and seven times come back to you saying ‘I repent,’ you must forgive them."

rather than Matthews account and rember repentance was built in to the sacrifical system that Matthew thought it unnecessary to report it.

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  87
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,795
  • Content Per Day:  1.35
  • Days Won:  3

On 4/29/2019 at 9:58 PM, ContinuingCorletta said:

A bad marriage can be what you are describing.  Its like a video game nightmare where he is sitting there pushing her buttons, and she is sitting there pushing his buttons, and whoever kicks the wall first, loses.

So, i have no idea what the relationship is, so, this makes it difficult to diagnose from here...

Generally tho, if someone is pushing your buttons, with consistency, its because they enjoy watching you get upset.  And if that is the case, and its not an original family member, then you are involved in a situation that others here will call "toxic", and it is .

The only way to work this out, is if they stop.  And if they won't stop, you need to make them stop, by ither letting them know that the last day they will be making you crazy  was "yesterday", and if that does not work, (given some time, as this person is not going to stop in one day).....but if you realize they are never going to stop, given time... then you should consider not being around them, in whatever form that allows, depending on the relationship.

Edited by Behold
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  839
  • Content Per Day:  0.44

I agree keep on praying for them even if you can't forgive them

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,224
  • Content Per Day:  3.34
  • Days Won:  30

Pray also and ask God to forgive them.  If He could help Jesus to pray that the people crucifying him be forgiven, He will help you as well.  God also helped Stephen ask that the people stoning him to death be forgiven.   God will help you feel sorry for them because they have to be very sinful miserable people to treat you so badly.  He will also help you realize that sometimes you aren't as nice as you could be, and that we all need His forgiveness and help.

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,176
  • Content Per Day:  0.85
  • Birthday:  04/29/1987

On 4/30/2019 at 3:58 AM, ContinuingCorletta said:

Rebuke them if you need to.