• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  344
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,393
  • Content Per Day:  2.70
  • Days Won:  1

Howdy Folks,

I'd like to know your thoughts about Jesus' very first recorded miracle at the start of His ministry; of turning water into wine. And of where he was physically at, for what reason and purpose, and what He was doing. 

I have my own thoughts, and I believe the "law of first mention" has a lot of significance and import with this first public miracle of His ministry; and the sequence of prophetic events yet to come to pass. You may already know where I'm heading with this? 

• Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  99
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  40,790
  • Content Per Day:  7.95
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

The miracle definitely shows the world He 'IS' The Creator...

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  15
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  66
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

Joh 2:1  And the third day there was a marriage in Cana of Galilee. And the mother of Jesus was there.

The first miracle that Jesus performed, in His public ministry and in John's Gospel, was semi-public. Apparently only Jesus' disciples, the servants present, and Jesus' mother understood what had happened.

John's specific reference to days in chapter 1 and here is unusual for him. On the first day, John the Baptist gave his veiled witness to Jesus (1:19-28). The second day he gave his open witness to Jesus (1:29-34). The third day John's two disciples followed Jesus (1:35-42). The fourth day Philip and Nathanael met Jesus (1:43-51). On the third day after that, the seventh day, Jesus did His miracle at Cana. Customarily, the wedding of a maiden took place on a Wednesday, and that of a widow on Thursday. The Jews regarded periods of seven days as reflecting God's creative activity. Possibly John wanted his readers to associate this beginning of Jesus' ministry with the beginning of the cosmos (Gen. 1), which also happened in seven days. If so, this would be another witness to Jesus' deity.

Joh 2:3  And when they lacked wine, the mother of Jesus said to Him, They have no wine.

Mary undoubtedly told Jesus about the situation, because she knew that He would do whatever He could to solve the problem. Being a compassionate person, He would try to help the groom, who was responsible for the food and drink (v. 9), in order to avoid unnecessary embarrassment. Clearly Mary expected Jesus to do something (v. 5). Evidently Jesus had done no miracles before this incident (v. 11). Consequently it seems far-fetched to think that she expected Him to perform a miracle. Mary knew that Jesus was the Messiah, and she apparently wanted Him to do something that would show who He was to everyone present. The wine normally drunk in Palestine at this time was fermented grape juice diluted with water.

(Notes on John 2019 Edition Dr. Thomas L. Constable)

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  463
  • Content Per Day:  0.20

1 hour ago, Dennis1209 said:

Howdy Folks,

I'd like to know your thoughts about Jesus' very first recorded miracle at the start of His ministry; of turning water into wine. And of where he was physically at, for what reason and purpose, and what He was doing. 

I have my own thoughts, and I believe the "law of first mention" has a lot of significance and import with this first public miracle of His ministry; and the sequence of prophetic events yet to come to pass. You may already know where I'm heading with this? 

Jesus was at a wedding.. a typical place for there to be wine and for it run out. Jesus did it because his mother urged him to. Not the Father. But, an obedient son will obey his parents.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,784
  • Content Per Day:  6.23
  • Days Won:  58

The wedding itself might have significance as He is the bridegroom and we are the bride. Perhaps He provided the wine for His bride -us.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Brilliant! 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  29
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,672
  • Content Per Day:  0.47

Edited by Snow
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Loved it! 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  1,028
  • Content Per Day:  0.23
  • Days Won:  1

13 hours ago, Dennis1209 said:

Howdy Folks,

There is a Midrashic aspect of the miracle, Johns gospel begins using the narrative of the old creation as a setting for the new creation. "In the beginning God". "In the beginning was the Word". The third day God did a miracle with water in the old creation and on the third day God does a miracle with water in the new. God began with a wedding of man and woman and God began His public ministry with a wedding.

The tradition of the Jews was to have weddings on Tuesday because it's the day of double blessing. God didn't say it was good on the second day of creation but said it was good twice on the third day.

There are other nuances like the small light being John the Baptist and the larger light Jesus. Johns gospel is very Jewish and he said he wrote it evangelistic, he wrote the specific things so they would believe. Jn 20:31 From what I understand a Jew reading his gospel account in the first and second century would have understood the style and proof of Jesus being the Messiah literally fulfilling all things. It's in Johns gospel where we read Golgatha and the tomb are in garden areas. Jesus was betrayed in a garden. Everything began in a garden and the ultimate price was paid in a garden. 

I'm not sure where you're heading with this but look forward to reading it. There are always wonderful aspects to grow by.

• Brilliant! 1

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  593
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  55,875
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

Personally I think we carry things way out of context of a simple story.....   Mom goes to a wedding with son....   wedding runs out of wine and mom doesn't want the family to be embarrassed and basically tells son of the problem expecting him to fix it....    son basically says it's not his time to start doing such things.....   mom tells families workers to just do what son says expecting son to fix problem.....    son being a good son does what mom wants even though son doesn't want to start miracles at that time....   son shows following law and honors mom's request

• Thanks 1

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  940
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,412
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

1 hour ago, other one said:

Personally I think we carry things way out of context of a simple story.....   Mom goes to a wedding with son....   wedding runs out of wine and mom doesn't want the family to be embarrassed and basically tells son of the problem expecting him to fix it....    son basically says it's not his time to start doing such things.....   mom tells families workers to just do what son says expecting son to fix problem.....    son being a good son does what mom wants even though son doesn't want to start miracles at that time....   son shows following law and honors mom's request

Bears (warrants)  repeating.