• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  940
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,413
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

Course that was not Jesus' first miracle. Creation itself preceded that one by far.

Stray thought: Jesus by whom all that has been created came into being, then must have created His own mother.

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  940
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,413
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

They say you can't choose your parents. But Jesus did, eh?

• Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  344
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,393
  • Content Per Day:  2.70
  • Days Won:  1

3 hours ago, other one said:

Personally I think we carry things way out of context of a simple story.....   Mom goes to a wedding with son....   wedding runs out of wine and mom doesn't want the family to be embarrassed and basically tells son of the problem expecting him to fix it....    son basically says it's not his time to start doing such things.....   mom tells families workers to just do what son says expecting son to fix problem.....    son being a good son does what mom wants even though son doesn't want to start miracles at that time....   son shows following law and honors mom's request

I guess you're right. I'm taking Jesus' parables and biblical symbology as lessons of deeper meanings to be searched out. The Bible is full of simple stories. Nothing to discover here folks, sorry. 

• Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  344
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,393
  • Content Per Day:  2.70

23 hours ago, watchman said:

Joh 2:1  And the third day there was a marriage in Cana of Galilee. And the mother of Jesus was there.

The first miracle that Jesus performed, in His public ministry and in John's Gospel, was semi-public. Apparently only Jesus' disciples, the servants present, and Jesus' mother understood what had happened.

John's specific reference to days in chapter 1 and here is unusual for him. On the first day, John the Baptist gave his veiled witness to Jesus (1:19-28). The second day he gave his open witness to Jesus (1:29-34). The third day John's two disciples followed Jesus (1:35-42). The fourth day Philip and Nathanael met Jesus (1:43-51). On the third day after that, the seventh day, Jesus did His miracle at Cana. Customarily, the wedding of a maiden took place on a Wednesday, and that of a widow on Thursday. The Jews regarded periods of seven days as reflecting God's creative activity. Possibly John wanted his readers to associate this beginning of Jesus' ministry with the beginning of the cosmos (Gen. 1), which also happened in seven days. If so, this would be another witness to Jesus' deity.

Joh 2:3  And when they lacked wine, the mother of Jesus said to Him, They have no wine.

Mary undoubtedly told Jesus about the situation, because she knew that He would do whatever He could to solve the problem. Being a compassionate person, He would try to help the groom, who was responsible for the food and drink (v. 9), in order to avoid unnecessary embarrassment. Clearly Mary expected Jesus to do something (v. 5). Evidently Jesus had done no miracles before this incident (v. 11). Consequently it seems far-fetched to think that she expected Him to perform a miracle. Mary knew that Jesus was the Messiah, and she apparently wanted Him to do something that would show who He was to everyone present. The wine normally drunk in Palestine at this time was fermented grape juice diluted with water.

(Notes on John 2019 Edition Dr. Thomas L. Constable)

You're absolutely correct. You're very close to the path I was heading pertaining to the traditional Jewish wedding customs; comparing those mirror image customs and acts to what we're are told about the Rapture and watching for it. That was in addition to what you mentioned. 

I wasn't going to mention anything about fermented wine or go there.

1 Timothy 5:23 (KJV) Drink no longer water, but use a little wine for thy stomach's sake and thine often infirmities.

The above verse sounds like something a doctor might prescribe, such as Luke. It's evident sanitation was poor back then and water contamination was prevalent. Stomachaches, disease and illnesses were brought about by poor cooking methods and contaminated water. Just like today, a little wine would sooth and help the symptoms. But in this modern day and age; I use "Tums" for the tummy :D

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,028
  • Content Per Day:  0.23

7 hours ago, Dennis1209 said:

I guess you're right. I'm taking Jesus' parables and biblical symbology as lessons of deeper meanings to be searched out. The Bible is full of simple stories. Nothing to discover here folks, sorry. 

No need to apologize. There are things to discover. Everything has been written for further understanding of the text. It's theological. The Bible is history and literature with stories but they are written for a reason. John states he wrote the things he did so that the readers would believe Jesus is the Christ. They aren't just random stories for a moral lesson or motivational pick me ups but specific events chosen by the Holy Spirit for our learning.

We see a separation of light and dark in John and a separation of the light and dark in the old creation. God did a divine work with water on the third day in the old creation and in John, God does a divine work with water on the third day. These types of patterns are a style John uses in his gospel account. It's a Midrash on the old creation.

The miracles are very salvation themed also, with Lazarus Jesus commanded remove the stone, evangelism, be witnesses unto me, then Jesus called him forth, only God can save, and then Jesus commanded them to remove the garments, make disciples of all nations. Take off those dead man clothes and put on the garment of salvation. Jude speaks of pulling our brother out of the fire hating the garment spotted with the flesh. Everything follows doctrine, nothing Jesus did was of no importance. Just because we don't see or understand doesn't mean more meaning doesn't exist. 

Types illuminate doctrine, we don't make doctrine from typology but the typology plays out or shows forth doctrine. The very actions and words of Jesus fulfilled scripture. He is the word manifest in the flesh. 

Edited by Zemke
  • Brilliant! 2