Should I fast?

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  50
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0

I’ve recently betrayed god and have sinned. I want to show him that he can trust me again. And, I want to show him that I’m serious about beginning my journey as a Christian. I also want him to forgive me of my sins. So is fasting a good way to do that. If it is how long should I fast? 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,990
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,688
  • Content Per Day:  11.83
  • Days Won:  226

39 minutes ago, Ryan2203 said:

I’ve recently betrayed god and have sinned. I want to show him that he can trust me again. And, I want to show him that I’m serious about beginning my journey as a Christian. I also want him to forgive me of my sins. So is fasting a good way to do that. If it is how long should I fast? 

The Bible does not command us to fast. It is a personal choice. If a Christian has sinned we pray and ask God for forgiveness. 

• Thumbs Up 3

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  105
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,803
  • Content Per Day:  1.29
  • Days Won:  2

You don't have to fast to repent before God as missmuffet has just told you.  But you can if you think it's the right thing to do.

If you've never fasted for Christian purposes before, I wouldn't try a lengthy one.  You can even eat a small, nutritious meal [an egg and fruit, or piece of meat and avocado] early in the day  [about 9 or 10 AM] and then fast for the next 24 hours.

Just remember this: 

• The  purpose of fasting is to draw near to God in sorrow for your sins, pleading for the souls of others, or any such spiritual reason.
  •  Focusing on "not eating" won't do you any good.  Biblical fasting is not about "not eating".  It's about God.
  •  You focus should be on God and your humbling yourself to him.
  •  All through the day of your fasting - pray, read the Bible, listen to Christian music that exalts God, confess your sins, LISTEN to God. prostrate yourself - [lie face down on the ground or across your bed] - in other words SEEK God.  Do these things or whatever you are led to do periodically through the day.

Again, you can repent before God without fasting.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Loved it! 1

• Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.93
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

5 hours ago, Ryan2203 said:

I’ve recently betrayed god and have sinned.

Fasting for purposes of spiritual reasons, like repentance as you've mentioned, Ryan, are all fine and good. There are other instances, like intercession in seeking after God for a specific answer. I think fasting is something that all Christian believers should do on occasion, if in reasonably good health. It's always wise to continue with water intake during these times also. Especially if you plan on fasting for more than one day. What did you do that made you feel a betrayal against the Lord, if I may ask? 

Shalom, 

David/BeauJangles

Edited by BeauJangles
  • Loved it! 1

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,298
  • Content Per Day:  1.73

On 04 May 2019 at 5:53 PM, Ryan2203 said:

You are trying to earn God's approval. That cannot be done.

So you've fallen down. Pick yourself up, tell God you are sorry and keep going. Learn from the expeience and keep going.

The Christian life is a marathon, you have tripped in the starting area. Now get on with the race.

• Loved it! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  52
  • Topic Count:  1,014
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  12,276
  • Content Per Day:  1.79
  • Days Won:  92

On 5/4/2019 at 9:53 AM, Ryan2203 said:

Just ask the Lord to forgive you, and then seek to walk with Jesus in your daily life.  In order to grow spiritually, pray, read the Bible and find a good church.    We shouldn't fast to try to earn merit....as others mentioned, fast to feel closer to God.

• Loved it! 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,625
  • Content Per Day:  0.79
  • Days Won:  1

Shalom Ryan,

On 5/4/2019 at 5:53 PM, Ryan2203 said:

I want to show him that I’m serious about beginning my journey as a Christian. I also want him to forgive me of my sins. So is fasting a good way to do that. If it is how long should I fast? 

First of all, let me make this clear: Fasting is a good thing for every Christian to do at some point.  The motivation for fasting can vary greatly and that's fine to. 

However, I would like you to consider the below Scripture.  This was written to Israel at a time when they weren't right with Yahweh.  They tried fasting before Yahweh, but He only saw this as a token effort.  What He wanted to see is genuine change in action, not a reluctance from food.  Yahweh says...

“Is not this the kind of fasting I have chosen:
to loose the chains of injustice
    and untie the cords of the yoke,
to set the oppressed free
    and break every yoke?
Is it not to share your food with the hungry
    and to provide the poor wanderer with shelter—
when you see the naked, to clothe them,
    and not to turn away from your own flesh and blood?
Then your light will break forth like the dawn,
    and your healing will quickly appear;
then your righteousness will go before you,
    and the glory of Yahweh will be your rear guard.

Then you will call, and Yahweh will answer;
    you will cry for help, and he will say: Here am I.

~ Isaiah 58:6-9

Now, obviously all of that will not apply to you, unless you have slaves!  But the point I'm making is that Yahweh calls for reform and change - with actions that show your repentance or change of heart from today, from this very moment that you read this.  If you do this, you'll do well.  If you fast from food, you might find you judge yourself bitterly if you see no change or be in a worse position if you go back to eating before seeing a change.   Fasting with your motive, as it is, is almost like taking a vow before Yahweh, without words.  That's nothing you want to rush to do.  Rather, choose the easier and righteous path, and let your words and deeds reflect the changes within in real time.

Have you been baptised with the Holy Spirit yet?  If not, seek this above all things.

Love & Shalom

• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,361
  • Content Per Day:  2.32
  • Birthday:  02/03/1953

On 5/4/2019 at 9:53 AM, Ryan2203 said:

That's the problem with sin - it haunts us. There is no quick fix. Just try not to do it again. The Lord will forgive you. More importantly, you will earn back your own trust.

• 1 year later...

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,176
  • Content Per Day:  0.85
  • Birthday:  04/29/1987

On 5/4/2019 at 5:53 PM, Ryan2203 said:

Decide yourself on your fast, it is not the hours that count but the spiritual food you consume during it. Read your bible and pray more often.