IGNORED

Give me YOUR best EXPLAINATION of how to ...

George

• Steward

• Group:  Steward
  • Followers:  110
  • Topic Count:  10,461
  • Topics Per Day:  1.26
  • Content Count:  27,742
  • Content Per Day:  3.34
  • Days Won:  126
  • Birthday:  09/21/1971

Shalom everyone,

I'm curious ... what do you BELIEVE is the BEST way to RECOVER someone who you believe is in ERROR?  I'm doing a forum test ... to see who really understands how to reach someone ... whom you believe is WRONG!

Do I have any takers?

God bless,

George

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.26
  • Days Won:  115

I'll bite!

After praying and seeking the Lord on the matter, if led to, I would ask to speak to them in private and discuss the issue in love.  This may take more than one time, as with love, it is enduring and not a one time shot.  If, after time, the sinner refuses to turn away from their sin, then bring in one or two other loving believers to try again.  The very last step would be to bring it in front of the body of Christ as humiliation usually builds walls, not break them down.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • This is Worthy 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  332
  • Content Per Day:  0.16
  • Days Won:  0

It perhaps depends on the person, but I like a quote by Sun Tzu - A leader leads by example, not by force. He that is without sin among you, let him cast the first stone at her. A person needs to have open arms to welcome a possible brother or sister - not folded arms and venom spit into their wounds.

Many people mistake that for permissiveness, or being soft on sin. It must be stated that whatever the issue(s) is/are is not okay. None of us come out clean, but everyone is much better off when they can turn their foot from sin. We make mistakes, but that's why we learn from them - we try not to repeat them, and we regret them., we repent for them.

I must admit a lack of experience in this regard, however. I tend to stick to myself; people don't seem to react well to criticism, even if it isn't harsh. I would still try if the opportunity presented itself, I suppose, like if someone came to me with their troubles. Oh, and I do know I should try to engage people more - I hope to change, but as they say, old habits die hard.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,280
  • Content Per Day:  1.25
  • Days Won:  2

Pray that God would open their eyes to the truth.  If they are open to consider another point of view, discuss it nicely.  If not, you have to wait on God.  Nobody could teach Saul/Paul,  till God got hold of him.

• Thumbs Up 3

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,272
  • Content Per Day:  1.73
  • Days Won:  0

Ask them about their belief, how they formed it, what verses etc justifies believing it etc

You have to understand just what and why they believe before you can examin it and talk to them about it.

One should also be aware that the issue might be more than you can deal with.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • This is Worthy 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  1,028
  • Content Per Day:  0.23
  • Days Won:  1

I've learned sincerity to be a major heart issue first step. People can sense sincerity. I was taught some years ago if you find yourself in a wrong attitude it's best to not engage. It's a part of the being ready to give an answer to the hope that is in us. Sometimes we can do more harm than good.

Then it's situational, someone you meet for a short period of time in a number of scenarios to a person at work or in fellowship with, where a relationship is involved and then what is actually really difficult is a family member. The truth is going to divide but it can draw also. If we love and are sincere at least we may be heard.

Jesus at the well with the Samaritan woman is good scripture to look at in dealing with someone in error. He told the truth, was sincere and loved her. And unless God draws someone there is no chance. Elijah was a man like unto us and he could make it rain. We need to be praying for and discerning the working of the Holy Spirit. To love someone enough to lay ourselves in what can be harm's way isn't always very easy.

Edited by Zemke
  • Praise God! 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  1,028
  • Content Per Day:  0.23
  • Days Won:  1

If we know their error well enough we can engage a conversation that leads to asking them questions about what they believe. I've done this with JWs. 

Our faith is a reasonable faith, it's rational. Theirs is not. Get them questioning their own faith just like Satan does with believers and then pray. We may be 12th in the line of 3 more houses that get them questioning enough to ask God for the truth. Jesus said be wise as a serpent but harmless as a dove.  

Edit to add, I've heard this technique referred to as using their sword to cut their head off. Like David did with Goliath. The Word of God between the eyes and their own book to finish. The five stones representing the law, the first five books of the Bible.

Edited by Zemke
  • Loved it! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,784
  • Content Per Day:  6.23
  • Days Won:  58

With prayer. With scripture. With recognition that it isnt up to me to change someone but is instead up to Him. With patience. With a lack of pride and with the knowledge that I should not aim for winning the argument at all costs. With an understanding of the difference between core salvational issues and disputable non salvational issues. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,784
  • Content Per Day:  6.23
  • Days Won:  58

As Im running around doing errands it occurs to me to ask myself...

Do I always do that when I post?

• Followers:  52
  • Topic Count:  1,010
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  12,206
  • Content Per Day:  1.79
  • Days Won:  92

Pray for the leading of the Holy Spirit in how to minister to different types of individuals.   Always speak the truth in love.    Be kind and love them even if they reject you.

• This is Worthy 1