IGNORED

What is the most interesting argument you used with Jehovah's Witnesses or Latter day Saints?

Daniel Marsh

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  467
  • Content Per Day:  0.29
  • Days Won:  0

I'm gathering from reading through this thread, that the main difference with JW doctrine, is their teaching that GOD created a second being who was not fully "divine".  Is that the essence of the difference with their doctrine? 

The thing with Michael being the Son of God - or not, stems from the first doctrine about the nature of God's "Son". 

Same for the whole "Angel of the LORD" discussion.  I mean, "angel" just means "messenger" - and Christ was "the Word".  Sort of implies the messenger, maybe even the "Chief Messenger". 

I am NOT JW.  I've had discussions with followers of that doctrine myself.  

Any other differences with JW teachings? 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.24
  • Days Won:  115

49 minutes ago, Resurrection Priest said:

I'm gathering from reading through this thread, that the main difference with JW doctrine, is their teaching that GOD created a second being who was not fully "divine".  Is that the essence of the difference with their doctrine? 

The thing with Michael being the Son of God - or not, stems from the first doctrine about the nature of God's "Son". 

Same for the whole "Angel of the LORD" discussion.  I mean, "angel" just means "messenger" - and Christ was "the Word".  Sort of implies the messenger, maybe even the "Chief Messenger". 

I am NOT JW.  I've had discussions with followers of that doctrine myself.  

Any other differences with JW teachings? 

May I suggest a book to read?  It's called "The Kingdom of the Colts" by Walter Martin - edited by Ravi Zacharias.  It covers the major cults and what they believe.  Both Jehovah Witness and Mormon beliefs are listed and discussed.  It goes into some depth, so be aware.  Jehovah Witness covers almost 100 pages.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,053
  • Content Per Day:  6.58
  • Days Won:  36
  • Birthday:  01/09/1956

1 minute ago, OneLight said:

May I suggest a book to read?  It's called "The Kingdom of the Colts" by Walter Martin - edited by Ravi Zacharias.  It covers the major cults and what they believe.  Both Jehovah Witness and Mormon beliefs are listed and discussed.  It goes into some depth, so be aware.  Jehovah Witness covers almost 100 pages.

I agree--this is a very helpful book. I read it soon after being saved and the information in there has been quite helpful.

Cults.....:-)

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  467
  • Content Per Day:  0.29

So a "cult" is someone who doesn't agree with your view concerning the nature of God?  Or Walter Martin's view.  Sounds like a "dirty word" that certain believers throw at other believers who don't agree with their specific doctrines.  Just saying. 

I've read Martin's book.  Think I still have it.  

If you can't summarize JW cult teachings in less than 100 pages, it makes me wonder. 

I do worship Jesus - as "God" by the way.  And I do not believe He was "created" by God the Father.   

Personally, the Catholic Church seems like a cult.  They chant before images, and ask dead saints to pray for them, when the Bible says "there is one mediator between God and man", and we are not to speak to "the dead".  They chant repetitious prayers, which Jesus said not to offer (Matthew 6:7).  In the Mass, they believe the "wafer" literally becomes the body of Christ when the priest speaks the right words("trans substitution").   Their priests are called "father" and the Pope "Holy Father, when Jesus said, "Call no man on earth your Father" (Matt 23:9). 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.24
  • Days Won:  115

51 minutes ago, Resurrection Priest said:

So a "cult" is someone who doesn't agree with your view concerning the nature of God?  Or Walter Martin's view.  Sounds like a "dirty word" that certain believers throw at other believers who don't agree with their specific doctrines.  Just saying. 

I've read Martin's book.  Think I still have it.  

If you can't summarize JW cult teachings in less than 100 pages, it makes me wonder. 

I do worship Jesus - as "God" by the way.  And I do not believe He was "created" by God the Father.   

Personally, the Catholic Church seems like a cult.  They chant before images, and ask dead saints to pray for them, when the Bible says "there is one mediator between God and man", and we are not to speak to "the dead".  They chant repetitious prayers, which Jesus said not to offer (Matthew 6:7).  In the Mass, they believe the "wafer" literally becomes the body of Christ when the priest speaks the right words("trans substitution").   Their priests are called "father" and the Pope "Holy Father, when Jesus said, "Call no man on earth your Father" (Matt 23:9). 

If you want a quick analysis, there are tracts around for those who are looking for a simple explanation.  If someone wants to dig really deep, there are also resources around for that purpose.  I find that I question simple statements much more than I do well researched explanations.  It all depends on how well you want to understand the topic at hand.

• 1 month later...

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  16
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Birthday:  12/29/1962

On ‎5‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 8:08 PM, JoeCanada said:

I've had many conversations with JW's.

I never let them get beyond John 1:1. " In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God"

Their translation reads...."And the Word was A God"

I then tell them that their whole translation has been changed to reflect on "A God"

All the verses that pertain to Jesus's deity have been altered to say something different, that He is not Deity. 

There are plenty of denominations and sects that don't print their on Bible and deny the Trinity.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,248
  • Content Per Day:  0.55

2 hours ago, RR144 said:

There are plenty of denominations and sects that don't print their on Bible and deny the Trinity.

Hi RR144,

Yes, you are quite correct.

As a matter of fact, there are more and more ministers who teach the "Sunday" flock , and they themselves reject the basic tenants of biblical Christianity. And others cow-tow to the liberal left and embrace "alternative" lifestyles, abortion, same sex marriage, etc.

Is this part of the "great falling away"  that Jesus warns about?

I think so. 

• 6 months later...

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  1,176
  • Content Per Day:  0.85
  • Birthday:  04/29/1987

On 5/6/2019 at 10:47 PM, Daniel Marsh said:

What is the most interesting argument you used with Jehovah's Witnesses or Latter day Saints?

If Jesus was not a apart of the trinity then why did he exist with the father and spirit. What purpose has his death and right hand of the father mean if he is just a god. That is something they do not address.

• This is Worthy 1

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  125
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,083
  • Content Per Day:  0.57
  • Birthday:  09/15/1956

7 hours ago, Prycejosh1987 said:

If Jesus was not a apart of the trinity then why did he exist with the father and spirit. What purpose has his death and right hand of the father mean if he is just a god. That is something they do not address.

You also ask how many gods are true gods?   If they say Jesus is a god.   Then you can point out that they have too many gods.

Isaiah 43:10
New International Version
10 “You are my witnesses,” declares the Lord,
    “and my servant whom I have chosen,
so that you may know and believe me
    and understand that I am he.
Before me no god was formed,
    nor will there be one after me.

Edited by Daniel Marsh