Can you pray Gay away?

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  50
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0

If someone’s gay, can they pray it away, or ask the lord to help them? If not, what can they do?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,990
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,688
  • Content Per Day:  11.83
  • Days Won:  226

1 hour ago, Ryan2203 said:

If someone’s gay, can they pray it away, or ask the lord to help them? If not, what can they do?

You can pray to God and tell Him exactly what is on your heart about this and tell Him that you need help. He will give you the strength if you truly in your heart want to get away from homosexuality. 

• Loved it! 1

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,298
  • Content Per Day:  1.73

No we cannot tell God what to do.

All we can do is request and ask for strength to have the self controll to live in a Jesus honouring way.

This applies to all Christians we cannot pray away sinful desires, but we can pray for and recieve the ability to resist those desires, whether sexual, greed, envious or of anger and rage.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,625
  • Content Per Day:  0.79
  • Days Won:  1

4 hours ago, Ryan2203 said:

Shalom Ryan,

This is a big subject really.  But let's get straight to the point:

If being gay comes BEFORE Yahweh - then you are in trouble.  In the same way, if being promiscuous (heterosexually) comes BEFORE Yahweh - then you are in trouble.

Therefore, rather than thinking can you pray this or that away, you should instead think "whatever the cost, whatever I must give up, I will do it".  After all, pleasing Yahweh and eternal life should be our top priorities. 

To not think this way, and hold onto being gay (or straight but promiscuous), is making a statement that the matters of the flesh are more important to you in day-to-day life.  You might think that in the big picture God means more to you but God deals and assess us in our day-to-day lives, not by our "statement of faith".

Therefore, a great challenge lies before you.  The toughest you'll probably face along with other faithful saints - to ignore the fleshly desires and goals and focus purposely on spiritual ones.  Ironically, if you do this FIRST, then the flesh will start to obey eventually and unhealthy desires will start to leave you AFTER.  Not the other way around.

Be strong brother.  Seek the Kingdom of Yahweh and His Spirit above all things.  Even things you feel may be necessary or essential.  Seek Him first, then all your ways will be established. 

I hope that makes sense.

Love & Shalom

• Thumbs Up 2
  • This is Worthy 1
  • Praise God! 1

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  45
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

On 5/8/2019 at 1:38 PM, Ryan2203 said:

My belief is that they can't pray orientation away, but that they can through prayer keep from engaging in same-sex behavior.

• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,361
  • Content Per Day:  2.32
  • Birthday:  02/03/1953

On 5/7/2019 at 9:38 PM, Ryan2203 said:

Asking the Lord to help perhaps is the first thing one should do. Disciplining oneself to resist temptation would be another, I would think.

• 1 month later...

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  27
  • Content Count:  875
  • Content Per Day:  0.41

On 5/8/2019 at 1:57 AM, Who me said:

No we cannot tell God what to do.

All we can do is request and ask for strength to have the self controll to live in a Jesus honouring way.

This applies to all Christians we cannot pray away sinful desires, but we can pray for and recieve the ability to resist those desires, whether sexual, greed, envious or of anger and rage.

I have to disagree. The only way I have eked myself out of sinful desires, which were hounding me, is through prayer. My prayers are simple. Even laying down, I say help me God!!! I lay out my problems and sins and desires and keep on asking for help. It’s a process for me, but every good thing that happens to me seems to be an outcome of my prayers. I’m even ridiculous sometimes, but hey why not. God is good. He will answer and help you. Be persistent.

Edited by Kristin
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Praise God! 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  183
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Birthday:  04/06/1987

It is my opinion, that becoming cleansed of a desire completely is possible. and can ONLY come from prayer, meditation on the word, and giving yourself to God.

Personally I think homosexuality is from demonic sources, and the ONLY way you would get away from these demons is through prayer, repentance, and total devotion to God.

If this person truly does wish to turn from homosexual ways, and walk in the light, I believe with true and sincere repentance it would be possible to "Pray it away", but it is not as easy as it sounds. 

Repentance is a change, a change in your whole lifestyle. What you spend your time on, what you watch, what you are interested in, what you love, what you hate.

You must learn to live not for yourself, or your own lustful desires, but LIVE for God. 

If you wish to "Pray it away" you must truly be ready to change everything in your life that feeds these demons, you must truly be ready to give yourself to Christ and turn from the devil.

There is a lot of people in this world who have no idea they are serving the devil with their way of life. You must know, if you are practicing homosexuality, you are serving the devil and not God.

Pray for repentance, hate of evil, stronger relationship with God, deliverance from evil (homosexuality), to learn more about God, learn more about Gods word, to spend more time in prayer, spend more time in Gods word, that you forgive all you hold resentments for, that you are forgiven (and a lot more)

It will take more than just "Pray it away" you will want to immerse yourself in Gods Word.  It may be interesting to this person just how many scriptures in Gods Word deal with lust, and not living for your own desires.

There is A LOT more scripture against Lust and Sexual Immorality, look into it you may find how powerful the Word of God really is, this is just a few.

Galatians 5:16 New King James Version (NKJV)

16 I say then: Walk in the Spirit, and you shall not fulfill the lust of the flesh.

1 Thessalonians 4:3 New King James Version (NKJV)

For this is the will of God, your sanctification: that you should abstain from sexual immorality;

1 John 2:15-17 New King James Version (NKJV)

15 Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. 16 For all that is in the world—the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life—is not of the Father but is of the world. 17 And the world is passing away, and the lust of it; but he who does the will of God abides forever.

1 Peter 4:2 New King James Version (NKJV)

that he no longer should live the rest of his time in the flesh for the lusts of men, but for the will of God.

James 1:15 New King James Version (NKJV)

15 Then, when desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and sin, when it is full-grown, brings forth death.

James 4:7 New King James Version (NKJV)

Therefore submit to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.

Edited by BrandonRTyler
  • Praise God! 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  27
  • Content Count:  875
  • Content Per Day:  0.41

Yes. You have understanding. Go forth and tell it to the world. It’s important. May God richly bless you!

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  3,298
  • Content Per Day:  1.73

2 hours ago, Kristin said:

I have to disagree. The only way I have eked myself out of sinful desires, which were hounding me, is through prayer. My prayers are simple. Even laying down, I say help me God!!! I lay out my problems and sins and desires and keep on asking for help. It’s a process for me, but every good thing that happens to me seems to be an outcome of my prayers. I’m even ridiculous sometimes, but hey why not. God is good. He will answer and help you. Be persistent.

Wel done, note you did more than just pray. You persisted in resisting temptation, despite failures and you continue to persits.

When people ask can X be prayed away they often expect one or two prayers and the problem is gone. The magic fairy has removed their problem.

There is no exoectation of having to work hard at dealing with a bad habit etc.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Brilliant! 1