• Topic Count:  1,546
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  10,320
  • Content Per Day:  1.41
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  11/05/1951

Hi Ryan, you asked:

Is it possible to baptize yourself?

In my opinion, theoretically, maybe. You can certainly dunk yourself under water (baptism means immersion). However, baptism comes to us, as a commandment from Jesus, who said to the disciples, to go make other disciples, teach them everything He taught them, and to baptize them.

If the model is for disciples to baptize disciples, why go against the scriptural model. Seems like the best thing to do, is to be baptized by one, who is discipling (teaching you what Jesus said). There are no instructions to baptize yourself in the Bible, nor any examples of baptism in the Bible, not performed by another.

Seems therefore, not a good thing to do, since it is not scriptural. Baptisms are easily and readily done by others, and it gives one the opportunity to  show the world, that you have become a disciple, with people often inviting friends and relatives to the ceremony, which is a good testimony, and glorifies God.

• Thumbs Up 3

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.81
  • Days Won:  226

No, you need another Christian to do it. It is to be done in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit.

Edited by missmuffet
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.93
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

1 hour ago, Ryan2203 said:

I don't think you'll find any example in the Word of God, that can substantiate this practice. Best to get it done in a proper manner. God bless. 

Shalom, 

David/BeauJangles 

• Thumbs Up 2

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.81
  • Days Won:  226

29 minutes ago, BeauJangles said:

I don't think you'll find any example in the Word of God, that can substantiate this practice. Best to get it done in a proper manner. God bless. 

Shalom, 

David/BeauJangles 

That is true but some people can not do it in the proper manner. 

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,299
  • Content Per Day:  1.72
  • Days Won:  0

1 hour ago, Ryan2203 said:

Why would you want to baptise yourself?

There is nothing magical in the water.

It makes no difference to you, if it did change you then the congragation at baptismal sevice woul;d get liberaly sprayed with it in order to change them.

Baptise is a public witness that you are a Christian and an act of obedience.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  45
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

On 5/8/2019 at 1:42 PM, Ryan2203 said:

I think it may be hypocritically possible. Important thing is that baptism be done in name of Father, and of Son, and of Holy Spirit.

That said, why would you want to baptize yourself?

• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,361
  • Content Per Day:  2.31
  • Birthday:  02/03/1953

On 5/7/2019 at 9:42 PM, Ryan2203 said:

I don't think that would be appropriate. Isn't there someone who could do it for you?

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  596
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,088
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

you can call almost any Church of Christ and ask to be baptized and they will send people to the church to do it most any time.  You don't have to join their church....

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  951
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,563
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

18 hours ago, other one said:

you can call almost any Church of Christ and ask to be baptized and they will send people to the church to do it most any time.  You don't have to join their church....

Hi,

However CoC adherants that I knew, and still know, believe that water baptism is for their salvation,that they are not saved without it.  

The Church of Christ which I attended for a couple of years believed that they are in the mellinial kingdom today, that Satan is bound for a thousand years, and that the book of Revelation is not to be read in services as they go through the Bible "verse by verse" in their worship services. *

Personally I think I would just  seek to be baptized in water elsewhere than as part of some errant emergency salvation process in someone's pool at 11 PM as I learned happened in  my own CoC circle of acquiantances and brothers and sisters in the Lord.

They also believe they can lose their salvation  and regain it and lose it and regain it. Yet oddly I do not recall any of my brothers and sisters  being baptised in water each time.

* Their leadership explained ot me that  revelation is forbidden to be presented because  it cannot be understood without reading Isaiah at the same time, something they cannot do  going through verse by verse. So it is skipped entirely. And that is when I bailed out. We had just finished Jude and I was lookingforwar dot how they were going to explain th ebook of Revelation in light of their doctrine. I found out- We just go directly to Genesis do not stop on  Revelation. But they were very kind and generous brothers and sisters  in the Lord.

----------

SORRY  for the lengthy sidetrack, I do find it is important why one is baptized ( water ).

It is more than ceremony, it is contrition, it is declaration, it is confession, it is obedience. Even God was so obedient that He Jesus  demanded to be baptized by the baptism of John. He pleased His Father in so doing!

-The Baptism of Jesus- ESV Matthew 3 excerpt at 13-17

..." Then Jesus came from Galilee to the Jordan to John, to be baptized by him. John would have prevented him, saying, “I need to be baptized by you, and do you come to me?”  But Jesus answered him, “Let it be so now, for thus it is fitting for us to fulfill all righteousness.” Then he consented.  And when Jesus was baptized, immediately he went up from the water, and behold, the heavens were opened to him, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and coming to rest on him;  and behold, a voice from heaven said, “This is my beloved Son, with whom I am well pleased.”.

Jesus received the baptism  by immersion of John for repentance, His Father was pleased  and declared it, and God the Holy Spirit, dedicated it by the landing upon Jesus personally as a dove from the heavens which the Father (presumably) had opened.

Now some local bodies of Christ do perhaps make it too difficult in that they want  the professing christian to study  and to prepare a text to read, a confession, a praise, all as a public testimony. To the shy that is difficult, perhaps more so than need be.

I have one good friend who waited nearly thirty years, though he is outgoing, because his wife is very shy and he wanted them to both be baptized  together on the same occasion. Then one day  with much prayer by many she overcame her own extreme timidity and shyness and was baptized alongwith her husband. I found her bold act bold for her to be very moving and I hope it pleased our God  as much as it encouraged all that were present. It still serves  strongly to me especially as her grand testimony of God's will in her life,  her desire to be the obedient bond-servant, and her thankfulness for his mercy upon her, the very awesomeness of our God.

And so that very shyness was used of God  to eventually present a truly grand testimony of the will to be obedient no matter how difficult any moment in one's life may be.