• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  596
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,043
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

1 hour ago, BeauJangles said:

Well I did for quite a few years. And I still do. It's all done accordingly, in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost. But I left their dogmatic teaching, as it seemed to be lacking in a lot of ways. For some reason, the main sector of this denomination believe they are the only 'true' Christians, and therefore, have exclusive rights to Heaven according to their doctrine.

It was kinda sad thinking that all these other believers in Christ weren't going to make it. This would trouble my poorly instructed mind a lot. It was one of the primary reasons for leaving the Church of Christ, and seeking other established fellowship elsewhere. The purpose for getting baptized a second time, was basically a re-affirmation of faith. I was 50 years old at the time. 

I left the CoC at the age of 17 also because of some of the things that were taught, but I just wanted to know if people  consider being baptized there doesn't count and it seems that most people will not say yes or no just mainly put the church organization down as a whole....  I could join in in that talk all day long for there is much to talk about, but for those that were baptized in that denomination and nowhere else, they should understand where other Christians stand on their baptism.....  especially if people think they should get rebaptized.  So far in sixteen years here I have not been able to get anyone to say "yes" or "no".    I just find that kind of odd.   

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.93
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

10 hours ago, other one said:

So can a person who is baptized by a CoC member consider themselves as Baptized.....   does it count?

It is very important for people to know and all it takes is a yes or no...

Count me in as a yes. 

• 1 year later...

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,176
  • Content Per Day:  0.85
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  04/29/1987

On 5/8/2019 at 5:42 AM, Ryan2203 said:

Is it possible to baptize yourself?

No because baptisms are supposed to be done and agreed on by two members of the church. One being baptised and the other one "vouching" for them.

• Followers:  26
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  9,604
  • Content Per Day:  3.98
  • Days Won:  21

On 6/16/2019 at 11:45 AM, BeauJangles said:

I was 50 years old at the time. 

Yes. Many roads, same destination. I recall a pastor once telling a joke about when you enter the pearly gates - "SHH", said St Peter, "be quiet because down there in that room are the ????? people and they think they are the only ones here".

Edited by Justin Adams

3 hours ago, Justin Adams said:

people and they think they are the only ones here".

Yeah, that would be the CoC = Church of Christ I was born into and spent my first 15 years. They honestly felt they were THE church and the ONLY Christians who were truly saved. Everyone else was NOT gonna make it into Heaven. Man, what a horrible feeling it was sometimes trying to believe in this sort of "exclusiveness doctrine" and denomination.

Was I ever glad we left this one. Mom and I took our exit of the CoC when we fully realized the truth of this erroneous way of thinking. The "oneness", UPC = United Pentecostal Church, and FPC = First Pentecostal Church who the CoC are adamantly against ALL Holy Ghost movements and associated types, also believe everyone else are gonna burn in Hell! Terrible! 

Edited by BeauJangles
  • Thumbs Up 2

On the other hand, I did watch a movie called The Apostle, starring Robert Duvall and co-starred Farrah Fawcett. It was an interesting film. In one scene after Duvall murdered his wife's (Fawcett) lover, he leaves and goes on the lam. Pulls off to the side of the road where a muddy river was running and baptized himself both in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost, then in the name of Jesus. I don't want to spoil any of the rest of this. I've already given too much of it away. :whistling:

P.S. I do recommend this to our BLM folks out there. I do believe y'all would love this one. June Carter Cash is great as Robert Duvall's mother. 

The Apostle - Wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Apostle

The Apostle is a 1997 American drama film written and directed by Robert Duvall, who stars in the title role. John Beasley, Farrah Fawcett, Walton Goggins, Billy Bob Thornton, June Carter Cash, Miranda Richardson, and Billy Joe Shaver also appear. It was filmed on location in and around Saint Martinville and Des Allemands, Louisiana with some establishing shots done in the Dallas, Texas area by a second unit before principal photography began. And main opening shots filmed in Grand Coteau and Lafayette Louisiana.

• Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,352
  • Content Per Day:  0.63
  • Days Won:  1

Hi Ryan,

I think to answer the question, you first need to understand the purpose of water baptism. Water baptism is the public consummation of a life dedicated to Christ. It represents a determined decision )i.e. a public declaration) that one has settled the issue of faith in Christ in their heart. We are not just 'testing out' God, but are decided that our pre-salvation life is now dead to us. It doesn't matter how people disappoint us, or what life throws at us, or what doubts mat attack our mind - we have decided that our life belongs to God; and that's the end of it - from now, and into eternity. When we go under the water, that former version of us is considered dead and buried, and the new Christian ascends out of the water.

So if someone wants to self-baptise, I would need to know their motives. If there is some legitimate reason that they can't be baptised by another, but still want to make this statement; at-least before God - then I think God would probably honour that. But if they want to self-baptise to hide their faith in God from the public, then their motives are a betrayal of the purpose of baptism as a public declaration.

The Christian God is not legalistic. He cares more about the heart's intent than He does about the ritual appearance.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  693
  • Content Per Day:  0.42

On 5/8/2019 at 12:42 AM, Ryan2203 said:

Baptize, means submerge in water.   Can you submerge yourself in water....  Yes you can.

However, the purpose of baptism, is to publicly declare your faith in Jesus Christ the Lord.

The whole purpose is to make it known to the world, that you are a Christian, and a follower of Jesus.

Can you do that by yourself?  No.

You can't make your faith public, by going out into the water by yourself.

So one requirement is that you have witnesses.  So you can't do it by yourself Thursday night, at 3 AM, with no one around for 100 miles, and be baptized.    People have to see the baptism, or it's not a public declaration of your faith in the Lord.

Then you have one other problem.  Millions of people around the world, that know nothing of the Lord, dunk themselves in water.

What makes your water dunk, different than their water dunk?

This is why your baptism should generally be administered by a recognized person of faith in the Lord.

Then your purpose and meaning of your baptism is clearly established.  You are baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus, the Christ and son of G-d.

So to answer your question directly, yes on a purely technical level, you can baptize yourself.  If you were a man in a remote village, where no Christians existed, and you found a Bible, you would have to baptize yourself in public.

But generally if you are anywhere, where there are other Christian people, you should have a Christian baptize you, and typically a Christian leader of some sort.  Pastor, Elder, Deacon.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  662
  • Content Per Day:  0.44

13 hours ago, BeauJangles said:

On the other hand, I did watch a movie called The Apostle, starring Robert Duvall and co-starred Farrah Fawcett. It was an interesting film. In one scene after Duvall murdered his wife's (Fawcett) lover, he leaves and goes on the lam. Pulls off to the side of the road where a muddy river was running and baptized himself both in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost, then in the name of Jesus. I don't want to spoil any of the rest of this. I've already given too much of it away. :whistling:

Sounds like a 'come to Jesus moment' for the Apostle. More like a re-dedication moment than a baptism (even though he did baptise himself).

I have had some of those moments, where I did something to prove to myself that I meant business and was not playing games with the Lord. Some of those times, well, it cost me something that I could never get back (I won't go into detail to spare you all). my point is: I meant business and was not 'playing' around with the Lord.

I am not against any 'come to Jesus moments' for any believer, anywhere, or any time. I do think that since Jesus' baptism was done publicly, we should follow suit and have a public baptism IF possible.

Grace & Peace . . .   Ray . . . 

• Well Said! 1

48 minutes ago, Ray12614 said:

Sounds like a 'come to Jesus moment' for the Apostle. More like a re-dedication moment than a baptism (even though he did baptise himself).

Yes. Without giving to much more of the plot away on The Apostle starring Robert Duvall, co-starring Farrah Fawcett, (RIP) and supporting star June Carter Cash, as the apostle's mother, he did this to attempt washing his sins away for the crime of murder in the 2nd degree. He hadn't fully intended to slay his wife's lover, but just get back at him for the affair. 

After this procedure of re-baptistry, he wanted to also re-establish his ministry for the Lord. Wholeheartedly, and without reservation. Total abandon in Christ. Full immersion. Very symbolic as the act of immersion baptism is in the first instance. This establishes the main theme of the movie as Robert (The Apostle) Duval begins a new life and new ministry for Him. Again, I'm giving too much away here.

I really am recommending this film for everyone. You should see this one. It is very inspirational.