Is it possible to baptize yourself?

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  593
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  55,875
  • Content Per Day:  7.55
  • Days Won:  271

they will baptize you for any church.....  what they believe has nothing to do with your personal relationship with the Lord....    Are you saying that none of their baptism's are legitimate?

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  50
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0

On 5/10/2019 at 7:57 PM, johnthebaptist said:

I don't think that would be appropriate. Isn't there someone who could do it for you?

Yes there is, I was just curious about the answer 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 5/11/2019 at 2:45 PM, Neighbor said:

Hi,

However CoC adherants that I knew, and still know, believe that water baptism is for their salvation,that they are not saved without it.  

The Church of Christ which I attended for a couple of years believed that they are in the mellinial kingdom today, that Satan is bound for a thousand years, and that the book of Revelation is not to be read in services as they go through the Bible "verse by verse" in their worship services. *

Personally I think I would just  seek to be baptized in water elsewhere than as part of some errant emergency salvation process in someone's pool at 11 PM as I learned happened in  my own CoC circle of acquiantances and brothers and sisters in the Lord.

They also believe they can lose their salvation  and regain it and lose it and regain it. Yet oddly I do not recall any of my brothers and sisters  being baptised in water each time.

* Their leadership explained ot me that  revelation is forbidden to be presented because  it cannot be understood without reading Isaiah at the same time, something they cannot do  going through verse by verse. So it is skipped entirely. And that is when I bailed out. We had just finished Jude and I was lookingforwar dot how they were going to explain th ebook of Revelation in light of their doctrine. I found out- We just go directly to Genesis do not stop on  Revelation. But they were very kind and generous brothers and sisters  in the Lord.

----------

SORRY  for the lengthy sidetrack, I do find it is important why one is baptized ( water ).

It is more than ceremony, it is contrition, it is declaration, it is confession, it is obedience. Even God was so obedient that He Jesus  demanded to be baptized by the baptism of John. He pleased His Father in so doing!

-The Baptism of Jesus- ESV Matthew 3 excerpt at 13-17

..." Then Jesus came from Galilee to the Jordan to John, to be baptized by him. John would have prevented him, saying, “I need to be baptized by you, and do you come to me?”  But Jesus answered him, “Let it be so now, for thus it is fitting for us to fulfill all righteousness.” Then he consented.  And when Jesus was baptized, immediately he went up from the water, and behold, the heavens were opened to him, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and coming to rest on him;  and behold, a voice from heaven said, “This is my beloved Son, with whom I am well pleased.”.

Jesus received the baptism  by immersion of John for repentance, His Father was pleased  and declared it, and God the Holy Spirit, dedicated it by the landing upon Jesus personally as a dove from the heavens which the Father (presumably) had opened.

Now some local bodies of Christ do perhaps make it too difficult in that they want  the professing christian to study  and to prepare a text to read, a confession, a praise, all as a public testimony. To the shy that is difficult, perhaps more so than need be.

I have one good friend who waited nearly thirty years, though he is outgoing, because his wife is very shy and he wanted them to both be baptized  together on the same occasion. Then one day  with much prayer by many she overcame her own extreme timidity and shyness and was baptized alongwith her husband. I found her bold act bold for her to be very moving and I hope it pleased our God  as much as it encouraged all that were present. It still serves  strongly to me especially as her grand testimony of God's will in her life,  her desire to be the obedient bond-servant, and her thankfulness for his mercy upon her, the very awesomeness of our God.

And so that very shyness was used of God  to eventually present a truly grand testimony of the will to be obedient no matter how difficult any moment in one's life may be.

are you suggesting that no CoC baptism is legitimate?

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  940
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,413
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

34 minutes ago, other one said:

are you suggesting that no CoC baptism is legitimate?

I am stating what I stated; that my CoC Friends believe they must be baptized by immersion in water to be saved, that without it they are not saved.

They do believe they can be in a state  of having lost their salvation and can regain it again, yet I never knew of anyone that was then re-baptised.

As to legitimate, why would it not be legitimate, they may misunderstand it, but I don't see how that would make it illegitimate whatever that  may mean. What  is a legitimate baptism?  Immersion  is an act of obedience to God, not a means of salvation far as I know. They are trying to be obedient as they understand obedience.

Course it took me two years to realize they were just not going to  go through the book of Revelation as the went "through the Bible word by word". Then they further confused me by stating we are in the Kingdom now and that Satan is bound for a thousand years now. About the time I finally "heard" that I was half way out of the door  and seeking a new church.

Errant? I think there is massive errant teaching there, but I also know they are some of the kindest  most generous brothers and sisters in Christ  that I have met or been associated with. They think I am in serious fault for attending a church that  has musical instruments used for worship too. Can't hardly  dislike people so concerned for me. Why they even set up a let's all go to church together when we were all out camping. The whole service was built around trying to get me back into restoration  of my salvation. I see them as kind and generous brothers and sisters with a really odd idea about losing salvation and water baptism, none the less they are my brothers and sisters.

• Thumbs Up 1

are you going to 

1 minute ago, Neighbor said:

I am stating what I stated; that my CoC Friends believe they must be baptized by immersion in water to be saved, that without it they are not saved.

They do believe they can be in a state  of having lost their salvation and can regain it again, yet I never knew of anyone that was then re-baptised.

As to legitimate, why would it not be legitimate, they may misunderstand it, but I don't see how that would make it illegitimate whatever that  may mean. What  is a legitimate baptism?  Immersion  is an act of obedience to God, not a means of salvation far as I know s othey are rying to be obedient as they understand obedience.

Course it took me two years to realize they were just not going to  go through the book of Revelation as the went "through the Bible word by word". Then they further confused me by stating we are in the Kingdom now and that Satan is bound for a thousand years now. About the time I finally "heard" that I was half way out of the door  and seeking a new church.

Errant? I think there is massive errant teaching there, but I also know they are some of the kindest  most generous brothers and sisters in Christ  that I have met or been associated with. They think I am in serious fault for attending a church that  has musical instruments used for worship too. Can't hardly  dislike people so concerned for me. Why they even set up a let's all go to church together when we were all out camping. The whole service was built around trying to get me back into restoration  of my salvation. I see them as kind and generous brothers and sisters with a really odd idea about losing salvation and water baptism, none the less they are my brothers and sisters.

are you going to answer my question or just talk around it?

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, other one said:

are you going to 

are you going to answer my question or just talk around it?

Far as I know I answered it in much direct detail. Can't do more than that.

4 minutes ago, Neighbor said:

Far as I know I answered it in much direct detail. Can't do more than that.

you did not tell me if a CoC baptism was ligitament or not....

So can a person who is baptized by a CoC member consider themselves as Baptized.....   does it count?

It is very important for people to know and all it takes is a yes or no...

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, other one said:

you did not tell me if a CoC baptism was ligitament or not....

So can a person who is baptized by a CoC member consider themselves as Baptized.....   does it count?

It is very important for people to know and all it takes is a yes or no...

People can easily read for themselves.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.95
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

2 hours ago, Neighbor said:

This is absolutely true. I born into and raised in the CoC church, baptized at age 12, and remained a member until my latter teen years. 

2 hours ago, Neighbor said:

Well, I did get baptized again, after quite a few years of leaving the CoC church. But, like yourself, I've not seen a re-baptism within the CoC either. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.95
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

7 hours ago, other one said:

Well I did for quite a few years. And I still do. It's all done accordingly, in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost. But I left their dogmatic teaching, as it seemed to be lacking in a lot of ways. For some reason, the main sector of this denomination believe they are the only 'true' Christians, and therefore, have exclusive rights to Heaven according to their doctrine.

It was kinda sad thinking that all these other believers in Christ weren't going to make it. This would trouble my poorly instructed mind a lot. It was one of the primary reasons for leaving the Church of Christ, and seeking other established fellowship elsewhere. The purpose for getting baptized a second time, was basically a re-affirmation of faith. I was 50 years old at the time. 

• Thumbs Up 1