Debp

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  52
  • Topic Count:  1,018
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  12,302
  • Content Per Day:  1.79
  • Days Won:  92

Another member mentioned being visited by JW's recently.   Would anyone like to share how you have ministered to them?   Also, I know we have a newer member who is a former JW.... can't recall his name.   If he happens to see this, I hope he will share how he came out of that cult.  Thanks!

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  679
  • Topics Per Day:  0.36
  • Content Count:  1,327
  • Content Per Day:  0.71
  • Days Won:  0

5 minutes ago, Debp said:

Another member mentioned being visited by JW's recently.   Would anyone like to share how you have ministered to them?   Also, I know we have a newer member who is a former JW.... can't recall his name.   If he happens to see this, I hope he will share how he came out of that cult.  Thanks!

I use to have Jw's visit my door quite often. I was always polite and kind to them but would refuse their brochures. Once I told them that I would take their material if they would take some of mine. They refused and I was told that I would have to deliver it to their door just as they were delivering their material to mine. I then asked for their addresses so that I could come and visit them, they refused to give this information. I stated that I would like to talk with one of their ministers.  I was told simply that someone else would visit me. A few days later a man and woman came to my home and said they understood I had questions. I told them that I wanted to know why they wouldn't allow me to share my materials at their doors and have an open discussion of our beliefs? The man and woman talked to me for a few minutes more and decided what I was sharing was "too dangerous". They left my home and dusted off their feet. I didn't have another visitor from the JW's for several years.... even though up to that time, I was seeing them at least once a month. I discovered that my home had been quote "banned" and they had been warned not to come to my home. This, of course, didn't bother me but found great humor in this.

I don't know a lot about all that the JW's believe, but do have a problem that they can quote "dish it out" but "not take it". I admit that I do admire at least their dedication of attempting to evangelize, as misguided as it is. We have a bible college within 15 miles of us and sometimes young men on bicycles wearing ties will come by (not Jw's) and they are greeted kindly just as I will to the JW's.  All people who come to my door with proper intentions are welcomed and invited in, But if the sharing of the gospel is their intention then they best be ready to discuss these beliefs. 

I noticed Debp that you did label the Jehovah Witnesses as a cult.  What is your definition of a cult? I am curious as many times it seems that the term is used very randomly.  Perhaps it could come under another subject under this forum and I may proceed with that but what exactly is a cult? Perhaps you can address that under the separate topic.  

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Oy Vey! 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,299
  • Content Per Day:  1.72

21 minutes ago, Debp said:

As we all evangelism one has to know what one believes and something about what the person one is talking to believes.

This means learning what JW believe and learning the techniques to sow seeds of doubts in them.

The problem of 'witnessing' to any cult member, is each side hurls arguments at each other and no one listens to what the other is saying. Think about how one responds to the others arguments, do they convince you?

So a question asked about what they believe has to raise questions in the mind of the cult member for the spirit to work on.

What Christians have and no cult member has is the assurance of salvation asking about the reality of 2Cor 13:5 is one challenge to there belief.

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  951
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,565
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

37 minutes ago, Tigger56 said:

I use to have Jw's visit my door quite often. I was always polite and kind to them but would refuse their brochures. Once I told them that I would take their material if they would take some of mine. They refused and I was told that I would have to deliver it to their door just as they were delivering their material to mine. I then asked for their addresses so that I could come and visit them, they refused to give this information. I stated that I would like to talk with one of their ministers.  I was told simply that someone else would visit me. A few days later a man and woman came to my home and said they understood I had questions. I told them that I wanted to know why they wouldn't allow me to share my materials at their doors and have an open discussion of our beliefs? The man and woman talked to me for a few minutes more and decided what I was sharing was "too dangerous". They left my home and dusted off their feet. I didn't have another visitor from the JW's for several years.... even though up to that time, I was seeing them at least once a month. I discovered that my home had been quote "banned" and they had been warned not to come to my home. This, of course, didn't bother me but found great humor in this.

I don't know a lot about all that the JW's believe, but do have a problem that they can quote "dish it out" but "not take it". I admit that I do admire at least their dedication of attempting to evangelize, as misguided as it is. We have a bible college within 15 miles of us and sometimes young men on bicycles wearing ties will come by (not Jw's) and they are greeted kindly just as I will to the JW's.  All people who come to my door with proper intentions are welcomed and invited in, But if the sharing of the gospel is their intention then they best be ready to discuss these beliefs. 

I noticed Debp that you did label the Jehovah Witnesses as a cult.  What is your definition of a cult? I am curious as many times it seems that the term is used very randomly.  Perhaps it could come under another subject under this forum and I may proceed with that but what exactly is a cult? Perhaps you can address that under the separate topic.  

Two men on bicycles wearing black pants white shirt and a black tie are likely interns serving their two years of "missionary service" earning acceptance into  the cult The Church Of  Latter Day Saints of Jesus Christ. - Or in some city areas they may have been  the "security  patrol" of Dianetics (Scientology), now termed FLAG (as in flagship). Generally those  are herding their sheep keeping them in line and on course so they don't break free from the cluster as they go from building to indoctrination building.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, Neighbor said:

Two men on bicycles wearing black pants white shirt and a black tie are likely interns serving their two years of "missionary service" earning acceptance into  the cult The Church Of  Latter Day Saints of Jesus Christ. - Or in some city areas they may have been  the "security  patrol" of Dianetics (Scientology), now termed FLAG (as in flagship). Generally those  are herding their sheep keeping them in line and on course so they don't break free from the cluster as they go from building to indoctrination building.

Actually they come from a local Methodist college.

30 minutes ago, Tigger56 said:

Actually they come from a local Methodist college.

Methodist! Well there ya go. :D  United they ride. United methodists.

Here they are more likely to be security patrol of Flag. Just herding their own. Haven't seen a Mormon  in a long time, but do get knocks on the door from JW's and come to think of it the local United methodists.

The group, new to me, that God has led me to attend and try to participate with actually has missionary  witness to The strip club women of the area, and  a donut hand out witnessing  program. [No the men do not participate in witnessing  with the ladies of the clubs].

So it's getting crowded out there; Flag , JW's, Mormons, Methodists, Us independent Spurgeon Christians, Baptists on occasion too.

• Haha 2

• Followers:  52
  • Topic Count:  1,018
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  12,302
  • Content Per Day:  1.79
  • Days Won:  92

1 hour ago, Tigger56 said:

I hope you don't mind my answering here about what I consider a cult.

It's any religion that deviates from the main doctrines of the Christian faith.

BTW, as you might know, the JW'S do have their own translation Bible where they have translated certain words to fit their doctrine.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  191
  • Content Per Day:  0.08

Do they believe only 144,000 will get to the Kingdom? How many members are in their following? wouldn't that mean that only a small fraction will make it to the Kingdom? The Word in revelations tells us that after the 144,000 multitudes that no man can number.

After this I beheld, and, lo, a great multitude, which no man could number, of all nations, and kindreds, and people, and tongues, stood before the throne, and before the Lamb, clothed with white robes, and palms in their hands;

10 And cried with a loud voice, saying, Salvation to our God which sitteth upon the throne, and unto the Lamb.

11 And all the angels stood round about the throne, and about the elders and the four beasts, and fell before the throne on their faces, and worshipped God,

12 Saying, Amen: Blessing, and glory, and wisdom, and thanksgiving, and honour, and power, and might, be unto our God for ever and ever. Amen.

13 And one of the elders answered, saying unto me, What are these which are arrayed in white robes? and whence came they?

14 And I said unto him, Sir, thou knowest. And he said to me, These are they which came out of great tribulation, and have washed their robes, and made them white in the blood of the Lamb.

15 Therefore are they before the throne of God, and serve him day and night in his temple: and he that sitteth on the throne shall dwell among them.

16 They shall hunger no more, neither thirst any more; neither shall the sun light on them, nor any heat.

17 For the Lamb which is in the midst of the throne shall feed them, and shall lead them unto living fountains of waters: and God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes. Revelation 7:9-17

1 minute ago, Debp said:

I hope you don't mind my answering here about what I consider a cult.

It's any religion that deviates from the main doctrines of the Christian faith.

BTW, as you might know, the JW'S do have their own translation Bible where they have translated certain words to fit their doctrine.

Why isn't the main doctrine... simply the belief in the Lord Jesus. The belief in his life, his death, his teachings, the belief that he is the Son of God. Why must it incorporate all other doctrines? This meaning that there can be a variance of beliefs in what his teachings were. Isn't Jesus the root of it all? Christian... one who follows Christ. Can it be that simple or must there be "main doctrines"?

I agree with the Bible mention. Too many liberties have been taken with so many variations of the Bible. I realize that the KJV isn't perfect and has a very added verses and Some words deliberately changed by the translators, but all in all, I have found it to be the most accurate and at least most added or changed things are in italics to show you that it varies from the original Hebrew and Greek.

2 hours ago, Debp said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nIh-BZI2rU Walter Martin

Give it fifteen minutes, see if it becomes interesting.  "Who is the real Jesus?" His divinity- His humanity.

2 Corinthians 11:3&4" But I am afraid that as the serpent deceived Eve by his cunning, your thoughts will be led astray from a sincere and pure devotion to Christ. For if someone comes and proclaims another Jesus than the one we proclaimed, or if you receive a different spirit from the one you received, or if you accept a different gospel from the one you accepted, you put up with it readily enough." 

• Thumbs Up 1