IGNORED

What are Sins, and why is it bad to have it?

Leyla

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  162
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  12/24/1997

Hello, I feel the need to add in a backstory that you can skip, the question will start with another colour. Im leyla and im 14, I was born muslim, left it and now I lean towards christianity. I thought that I accepted Jesus and I also spend alot of my time lately studying the bible, however I still did not study it enough to claim that I know the Bible as much as I know the Quran.  I dont want to say that Im a christian, because I still have many doubts in christianity and it would be wrong for me, to call myself something that I am not (atleast something that Im not fully in my heart).  As some of you may have noticed, I tend to be fairly active on some parts of the forum lately, because of my doubts  (it usually involves me trying to prove something about christianity wrong). I dont do it because I want to get my point across. Throwing away all my biases and emotions, and putting myself in the shoes of a sceptic, was the thing that helped me leave islam, something that I consider to be wrong now. This method generally gave me good results and it helped me alot in my life. The thing is that I dont stop with christianity and that I want to scrutinise christianity too, to see if it holds any meaning or value. I dont know if this part of the forum is made for confessions like that, but many people here started to view me differently, after I started asking my questions. I also lost some of my friends, I made in my new more or less christian enviroment, so I experienced how it feels to be left because of my doubts for a second time, and I would rather have these things not happen at all but i value the truth more than comfort.  These things were bothering me and I felt the desire to get them out of my chest. Now back to the Question. What exactly are "Sins"? Are sins bad because God said that they are bad, or are they bad because they are bad? Also, why are silly things like homosexuality, or not believing in a God a sin? (Edit: I intend to let this thread go offtopic alot if you dont mind)

Edited by Leyla
  • Brilliant! 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  107
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,820
  • Content Per Day:  1.30
  • Days Won:  2

There are a lot of Hebrew and Greek words in the Bible that mean sin:  words translated in to English as transgress, trespass, offend, sin, and evil deed.

The main one used is the Greek word "harmartia".  It means to "miss the mark" as in archery.  What mark?  The holiness of God.  That's why Romans 3:23 says "All have sinned and come short of the glory of God." We have all missed the mark of God's holiness.  A person who tells just little white lies has missed the mark.  So has a person who is a serial killer.  So has a person who steals small amounts of cash from the petty cash box with no intent to return it.  So has the person who has beaten a child.

If you and I fail to mean the holy and perfect standard of God's goodness, we are sinners.

God loved us even while we were sinners - so says the Bible and sent his Son to die for us, to take our shame and disgrace for us.

Why is homosexuality a sin?  In the book of Genesis, God made a male and a female.  The intent was that they were to be "one flesh".  That means a lot of things: bonding, sex, spiritually one unit.  And their bodies were made so that they fit - in all of those ways - like two pieces of a puzzle.  One incomplete without the other.  Our sex organs are different, yet match.  Our brains are different, yet match.  Our endocrine system are different, yet match.  The woman, Eve, was made a "help meet".  Or in the original Hebrew - an "ezer kenegdo".  Ezer means a "succor or relief".  It's the word for help that David describes God as.  Though that does not make Eve divine.  It just show how important her "help" is.  Meet or "kenegdo" is found once in the Bible.  And it's here for Eve.  It means opposing.  Opposing as in opposite.  Like opposable thumbs.  Just think if your thumb couldn't be turned to face your fingers.  

God said it was not good that man should be alone.  He did not create another man - like Adam.  He created a woman - different from him.  NECESSARY for him.  The other  piece of the puzzle - emotionally, physically, and spiritually.

A lot of people think that "help meet" means the chief cook and bottle washer or to stay home, pregnant, and as a servant.  Both in and out of Christianity, people don't value the role of the wife as God intended in his very Hebrew words.

Homosexuality is not silly.  Sin is not silly.  Homosexuals cannot procreate as God ordained husbands and wives to do.  They do not fit the divine plan for the man and the woman.

God calls this unnatural union an abomination.  Abominations are brought about by the devil.  God gives us  perfect things to be used for good.  The devil creates the counterfeit to be thrown in God's face as trash.  Look what has happened to music, marriage, helpful drugs, sex, the family, and more.

If it does not fit the divine  plan of God for us to live - it is an abomination.

I love my  homosexual friends and they know where I stand.  I've had homosexual students and homosexual friends.  I do not hate them.  But I pray for them to be changed and to face the truth.

My dear, you are 14.  I pray God help you to understand all that you are having questions over.  I may seem like we are mean, but we care deeply for your immortal soul and your life here on this earth.

• Loved it! 2
  • Brilliant! 1
  • Praise God! 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,625
  • Content Per Day:  0.79
  • Days Won:  1

4 hours ago, Leyla said:

Now back to the Question. What exactly are "Sins"? Are sins bad because God said that they are bad, or are they bad because they are bad? Also, why are silly things like homosexuality, or not believing in a God a sin?

Shalom Leyla,

Thanks for sharing your backstory.

You ask a great question - for those new and experienced in Christianity!  Let me answer, assuming you have no prior knowledge for the benefit of everyone.

The English understanding of the word "sin" is much different that the Hebrew counterpart "chatah".  Chatah means "miss the mark" as if you missed the target in archery.  So, to chatah (or sin) is to miss the target of behaviour that Yahweh (the God of the Bible) intended you to hit.

With this understanding of the Hebrew word in mind, we get a insight into what sin is - a fail! Fair enough, but what IS sin?

We often think a sin is certain behaviour or action that we feel are "morally" wrong. But the problem with that understanding is that our morals change with age and circumstance.  This is my first point - our morality is subjective. For example, if I said you could run the world, do you think you would do a better job now than you would have done 4 years ago? But then don't you also think you could do even better in 4 years time?  And even better still in 40 probably!  Yes, you and your morals will change with time - it's the same for everyone.  Another example could be to think how you morals would change from how you are today compared to a future you living on the street alone.  Yes, morals change under circumstance pretty quickly too.  

My second point is that our morality is socially conditioned.  We only need to look through our recent history (the past 5 years) to see how morality has changed in the media, government and entertainment. But if you keep going back through time, you'll only see more and more changes across the ages and across the world. Yes, yesterday's morality is different to today's and today's will be different than tomorrow's.

Therefore, Yahweh has given us a master blueprint. He made clear an absolute, universal, eternal set of morals.  These "morals" were established by the Creator of the Universe Himself, Yahweh, an Almighty being who lives outside of our time domain - so His morals are constant and consistent.  These "morals" were provided to us by Yahweh who rules above all and who remains the same, always - so His morals aren't socially conditioned or manipulated.  With these morals, Yahweh set the "targets" in place for us to "hit".  When we don't hit them we "miss" or sin.

For example: 

• Do not steal (Target)
  • You don't steal (Hit!)
  • You do steal something (Uh oh, Miss!)

That's the basic idea. Now to something a little more deeper for you to meditate upon...

In English, we associate the word sin with bad actions (murder, stealing, rape etc). But then we get confused as to why not believing in God is a sin, as you mentioned in your post. However, now we know the word sin actually means "miss" we can understand this a lot better:  

• Trust in Yahweh (Target)
  • You trust in Yahweh (Hit)
  • You don't trust Yahweh (Miss!)

This is the difference of what Jews call negative and positive commandments.  A negative commandment being a "Do not..." and and positive one being "Do this.."  Therefore, sin is actually NOT doing what Yahweh commands, or rather not hitting the targets He set, whether that means resisting doing something or actively doing something.

So then, sin is not what the world calls sin and it's not only doing "bad" things.  Rather, it's missing the targets set by the universal, eternal, loving and wise Creator. Targets put in place to show us the way to behave correctly by His standards. Targets set with the goals of love, peace, family, equality, and freedom.  That's another conversation though.   

Consider this also - the word for Law in Hebrew is Torah.  The word Law we associate with negativity and heaviness.  But Torah means guidance and teaching.  Consider this difference deeply, along with the understanding of the word chatah (miss), and you'll understand what sin actually is, as described within the Bible, and not by society or in some churches.

I hope that gives you some food for thought.  

Keep asking questions!  I sense a bright future ahead of you with your upfront and brave attitude.  It sounds like your story so far has been a very interesting one.

May Yahweh bless you richly in your quest for truth.

Love & Shalom

• Loved it! 1
  • Brilliant! 1

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  3,299
  • Content Per Day:  1.72

On 09 May 2019 at 6:23 PM, Leyla said:

. Now back to the Question. What exactly are "Sins"? Are sins bad because God said that they are bad, or are they bad because they are bad?

A good question.

to parapharase it, is good 'good' because it is 'good' or because God says it is good.

It is called 'euthyphro dilemma' The christian answer is that there is a third option, that because Gods chaeracter is to be 'good', then good is a reflection of Gods character.

the link below is to a philsophical site that will explain it better than I can.

https://www.reasonablefaith.org/videos/interviews-panels/what-is-the-euthyphro-dilemma-bobby-conway/

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  46
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

Sin, in the most basic definition, is falling short of God's perfection, or not following His will. So yes, sin is sin, because God declares it so, we all do it. Last I knew, there has only been one human, to ever not sin. Things like homosexuality, is a sin, because God created mankind for specific purposes, one was procreation. He has declared also, that sex take place within an ordained relationship, of husband and wife, man and woman.

Not believing in, and obeying God, are also against His will, and are also therefore, sins.

Edited by New Member
  • Thumbs Up 4

• 3 weeks later...

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  50
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Birthday:  08/01/1917

Sin is harmful. God wants us to be holy as He is Holy. We are protected from harm if we don't sin. It is possible to live holy, or God would not instruct us to be holy. He wants us to live long and lead others to love and honor Him. Christ Jesus gave His Life so that we could live forever. God gave us instructions on how to live free and safe lives. He loves us and loves everyone. He wants everyone to be saved from their sins but the only way that is possible is through Jesus.

Jesus saith unto him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me." 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  860
  • Content Per Day:  0.47

1 hour ago, Cletus said:

i think a real good example of what sin is would be a lie.  lies can be destructive.  lies can bring people to a place in life that by believing the wrong thing that their view on what really is... is not reality.   not honest.  when we realize someone has lied to us it really hurts us inwardly.  it also makes us not be able to trust them after we realize this.  I think we can all agree that we would prefer that people would not deceive us and that we would desire people to be transparent with us.  when we tell lies it also hurts our lives in various ways.  consider the story about the boy who cried wolf.  he just wanted some human company because he was lonely all day long watching sheep.  but when the wolf really did come after the sheep and he cried for help... wolf wolf, no one came to help him.  they did not trust him anymore. 

Jesus said he is the way, the TRUTH, and the life.  God always wants to give us the truth, even when the content is not something we will like.  this is being honest.  God wants us to be truthful with others to because of a lies destructive nature.  Honesty is always the best policy.  When King David in the old testament had sinned and then had to get right with God he said, Psa 51:6  Behold, thou desirest truth in the inward parts: and in the hidden part thou shalt make me to know wisdom.

God does want us to be transparent with Him and others.  a good example in the bible of when two people were not honest is found in Acts...

Act 5:3  But Peter said, Ananias, why hath Satan filled thine heart to lie to the Holy Ghost, and to keep back part of the price of the land?
Act 5:4  Whiles it remained, was it not thine own? and after it was sold, was it not in thine own power? why hast thou conceived this thing in thine heart? thou hast not lied unto men, but unto God.
Act 5:5  And Ananias hearing these words fell down, and gave up the ghost: and great fear came on all them that heard these things.

God does not want us to hold back anything from Him.  This is because of one simple fact.  The bible tells us the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life.  all sin brings death.  real life can only be found in God.  Spiritually alive.  When God comes into our hearts and lives in us, He begins to make it so we sin less and less.  We begin to live more and more in righteousness.  We no longer do some of the sinful things we used to do because God is taking this out of us.  God wants to do this because He does love us and sin is very very bad for us.  He wants whats good for us.  He wants us to know truth.  And He IS the truth.  As we walk with Him we begin to realize just how far off we are from living right.  Honesty can have many faces.  not just in our words but also in our business dealings.  when someone cheats you out of work or money this is bad too.  it destroys our relationship with the one who does us this way.  but God wants to have a relationship with us.  open, honest, transparent, and full of love. 

If we really desire to have truth in our life, Jesus Christ is the way.  there is no other way.  there is no other who will lead us into this truth.  and its really a freedom when this happens in our heart because we become free from the bondage of these lies/sins in our life. 

when someone lies its really to serve our own selfish desires.  to manipulate others.  what one person would say i have been lied to and i enjoyed it, cant wait until next time?  no one will ever say that and mean it.  sin is destructive.  and sin kills the life in us.  sin is very bad.  our sins put distance between us and God.  There is only one remedy... Jesus Christ.  by turning from our sins, and turning to Him, by accepting Him as Lord and savior, and pursuing before all else, His Kingdom and His righteousness.... we CAN live a life right now where we have less lies and more truth.  and this is the power of God in us, and thru us. 

In muslim terms, sin will be not doing the duty that muslims are required to do.

Giving charity, prayers, fasting, being of peace, and no other before Allah.

In Christianity, God shows a way first similar to the Muslim way, of the old testament, warring, keeping sabbath, fasting praying, general righteous ways, apart from the warring, that was to exist with those around them without being taken over.

Now, with Jesus Christ showing the meek gentle way, the swords are gone, persecution is a blessing, as Christ was not with an army, but was persecuted until death. The purpose of the death is to show overcoming death, for the reason we all die in our sins, now the way of Christ in us, in Spirit, is to live without sin, any hurt or hurting for anyone else, just the same as Him, with His Holy Spirit inside of your heart, and this overcomes death, because you now have true life in you which never can die.

Sins are when you do not love others the same way as yourself or your family, and hurt other because you do not care enough for them and care more for yourself, now we see Gods example to follow and believe in and love as highly as Heaven itself.

Acts 2:24 Whom God hath raised up, having loosed the pains of death: because it was not possible that he should be holden of it.
Edited by gordon7777
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.81
  • Days Won:  226

Sin is rebellion against God. If we are a born again Christian we have redemption through the blood of Jesus Christ. Our sins are forgiven and we are saved to spend an eternity with God. If not they will spend an eternity in hell. It is a choice everyone on this earth must make.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Praise God! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,228
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

God said to be perfect even as He is perfect.  Not being perfect as God is, is sin.  It is missing the mark of perfection.  God created us and has the right to say what is sin.  Rebelling against God is sin.  In the garden Eve was tempted and deceived.  Adam had heard the very words of God to not eat of the tree of knowledge of good and evil.  He chose to defy God and rebel.  Eating of the tree in itself may not have been sin, but defying God was definitely sin.  Most moral laws are to prevent our doing harm to ourselves.  I call them "Thou Shalt Not Jump Off The Cliff" signs.  However, to be prideful and rebel against God also will cause us irreparable harm since it will lead to eternal damnation as it did satan.

• Loved it! 1

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  2,280
  • Content Per Day:  1.23
  • Days Won:  2

According to 1 John, sin is the transgression of the law, meaning God's laws.