IGNORED

How can a sceptic strengthen his belief?

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  50
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0

How can a sceptic strengthen his Belief in God?

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  162
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Birthday:  12/24/1997

16 minutes ago, Ryan2203 said:

From what I concluded so far, its building a personal relationship with God and reading the scripture and to never attempt to strengthen your believe with naturalistic methods like science.

Edited by Leyla
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  105
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,803
  • Content Per Day:  1.29
  • Days Won:  2

25 minutes ago, Ryan2203 said:

Well, this is your 26th post - all questions.  Many people have answered you, yet you do not thank them for their response, ask more questions or engage in any way that shows online courtesy.  I have no idea if you come back and read any responses, but just in case you do, I'll answer it.

You've asked how does a skeptic strengthen his/her faith in God.  It depends on your view of the word skeptic. Some skeptics are atheists who call themselves skeptics.  They need to have a belief in God to begin with before strengthening can occur.

Some Christians have occasional skeptical feelings based on trauma, being young in the faith, having no mentor, not reading the Bible, not praying, having no church home, having no Christian friends, etc.

Here what I would say to them to strengthen their faith and belief.

•  Pray and pray in your own words and pray what you mean.  And listen.  You don't have to use "thees" and "thous" and use words not part of your vocabulary.  Tell God you are a skeptic.  Tell him what it is you are struggling with.  And again, listen.
  •  Read the scriptures.  Mark, John, Genesis, the Psalms, the Book of Acts, and more.  Read regularly.  Writing down what you don't understand and ask someone.  Tell God what you don't understand and ask him before and after reading to help you.
  •  Find something that interests you that you can find God in.  For me, it's three things.  They won't save you, but you can see God here:
    • MUSIC - I've been a musician for 50 years.  Music moves me.  Great hymns heavily increase my faith.  I like all kinds of music.  Playing music increases my belief.  I play the piano by notes on the page, by feel, by color, and by all sorts of ways. I can't explain that.  And the music/word combination of songs like Bob Dylan's "You've Gotta Serve Somebody" and the hymn "A Mighty Fortress is Our God" and instrumental pieces can stir my spirit to think about God.
    •  ART - The beauty of color, stroke, design, and more draw me to a sense of wonder of natural things around me.  I have prints in my home by Van Gogh, Monet, Renoir, and Degas.  
    •  MATH/SCIENCE - I used to teach earth science, biology, physical science, and the maths that go with them.  The beauty of order, design, being flabbergasting by the universe and even the microscopic universe convinces me that God's sovereign hand is over all.  King David said, "The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament shows his handiwork. Day unto day utters speech, and night unto night reveals knowledge. There is no speech nor language where their voice is not heard (Psalm 19:1-3). "  and Paul says in the New Testament, "For since the creation of the world his invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead, so that they are without excuse (Romans 1:20). "

It's not difficult, Ryan.  What saves you is trust and faith in Jesus Christ.

The natural things of this world and you appreciation of them and interest won't save you, but maybe it could bolster you belief that God has a hand in all of them.  A Sovereign Hand.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,990
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,688
  • Content Per Day:  11.83
  • Days Won:  226

8 hours ago, Ryan2203 said:

You ask Jesus Christ into your life to be your Lord and Savior and ask for forgiveness of your sins. You will then put God in control of your life. Give Him your life, your heart and your mind 100%.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  57
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,398
  • Content Per Day:  0.27

Immersion and willful decisions to live according to the Bible. Read the Bible. Pray. Get involved in a church that believes like you want to believe and supports you as you support it. Make a choice to do something charitable that demonstrates God's love and do so often. All of that together is immersion. It's been said that it's easy to be a Christian in church, and it is. But sometimes people need that. New believers and people who struggle especially, but I don't think anyone ever "outgrows" the need to have a safe haven for their faith. As you walk with God, experience tests, and through that come to know God's love for you your belief is strengthened in turn. It's a natural process that takes time, much like a baby eventually growing into an adult. And like a baby growing up some people do it faster or slower than others.

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  241
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  6,900
  • Content Per Day:  3.26
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/23/1954

13 hours ago, Ryan2203 said:

Pray in the Name of Jesus and repent of skepticism.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  50
  • Content Per Day:  0.03

Thank you everyone for your  answers. And yes,  I do read each and everyone of the answers that I get I just forget to reply sometimes. I’ll make sure to do that in future posts. 

Ryan 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,361
  • Content Per Day:  2.32
  • Birthday:  02/03/1953

On 5/9/2019 at 2:32 PM, Ryan2203 said:

When the question arises how one might prove the existence of the Lord, I just point out that the Lord solves all my problems for me. That requires listening to what he says to us, though.

• 1 year later...

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,176
  • Content Per Day:  0.85
  • Birthday:  04/29/1987

On 5/9/2019 at 10:32 PM, Ryan2203 said:

It comes from within and study of scripture, he has to associate it with his life.