Pekoudah

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  27
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  302
  • Content Per Day:  0.17
  • Days Won:  1

Have you ever read a verse in the bible and saw new meaning in it as if you were reading it for the first time? Even though you had read it many times before?

There are layers of meaning in the bible....especially in the OT....since the gospel was truly hidden at that time. But not so hidden that it can't be revealed by the Spirit and careful study.

i would like to list some of these verses and I hope others will contribute as well.

The goal is to encourage study of the bible for the purpose of edification, encouragement and general biblical understanding.

Ok, here is one that kind of sets up all the rest..and shows that God is encouraging us to dig deeper into His word because He has hidden many treasures therein.

It is the glory of God to conceal a matter,
But the glory of kings is to search out a matter.
Prov. 25:2

The word "matter" used here is the Hebrew דבר

Davar...which is better translated as "word". So then God hides meanings in words. He hides words (in plain sight) that have new layers or depths of meaning that convey His will and His ways.

Many of these examples are too difficult to explain in short posts so then I'll try listing only those that can be more readily understood.

(I read the bible in Hebrew as this is something that the Lord told me to do...by saying simply "learn Hebrew"...and from there on I've had a passion for reading the OT in the Hebrew.)

Edited by Pekoudah
  • This is Worthy 1
  • Brilliant! 1
  • Praise God! 1

Here is one that surprisingly few believers know. It brings 2 prophetic verses into one statement by Jesus as He hung on the cross.

That statement is...אלי אלי למה סבכתני or in English transliteration "Eli Eli lama sabachthani" (Mat. 27:46)

Eli Eli Lama sabachthani? refers to the opening words of Psalms 22:1 "My God, my God, why hast Thou forsaken me"

There is a hidden word being used here that ties this statement to another word found in Gen. 22:13

The word "forsaken" has been replaced from "My God My God why have you forsaken Me?" (from Psalm 22:1) for what Jesus said on the cross which actually means... "My God My God why have you entangled Me?" (the word "entangled" coming from Gen. 22:13)

So Jesus fuses these 2 ideas together to make up a new statement.

When Abraham was about to sacrifice Isaac...the angel said "God Himself will provide a sacrifice" and then a ram was seen caught in the thicket. The Hebrew for thicket (entanglement) is סבך which in noun form sounds like "sevach" but in verb form is "sabach" (as in sabachthani meaning "entangled Me" in the past tense).

So then Jesus is claiming to be the sacrifice that God promised to Abraham. To prove this He wore a crown of thorns...as if He was caught Himself in an entanglement...just as the ram.

So then 2 prophecies were fulfilled in one statement and one act...which requires such a depth of sovereignty to accomplish...that it bears meditating on! :)

• This is Worthy 1
  • Brilliant! 1

Here is a harder one that shows the depth of the word. It involves Proverbs 7. This chapter about the "strange woman", which, on the face of it, is about physical adultery and a warning against it. It concerns they who lack "understanding." More on this later.

Prov. 7:7 And beheld among the simple ones, I discerned among the youths, a young man void of understanding,

The Hebrew shows a deeper meaning on a spiritual level. (Should we be surprised at this?) It involves false teaching. Spiritual error.

In Hebrew the words for "strange woman" or...isha zarah... אשה זרה is in the feminine form... and this is an obvious play on words that refers to, and closely resembles, another biblical idea, that of "strange fire"...esh zarah. אש זרה which is the same idea but in masculine form.

In order to get "strange woman" we only have to use the feminine form of "strange fire"...by adding a "hey" (meaning "behold") to the word for "fire". Play on words like this are very common in the OT and are one of the more common ways to convey deeper truths. God likes these. He loves to hide the truth in plain sight. :)

This refers to the dangers of false doctrine...with many warnings and allusions in the chapter to that effect.

If a man has no understanding of the word...then he can be easily "flattered" into believing a lie. He falls prey to what sounds good to the ear..but is meant to deceive and take one into spiritual adultery.

it would take a lot of explaining to get into all the hidden references in the chapter that shows that there is a hidden spiritual message underlying it. How many care to know more about this?

I wonder if anyone wants to try looking for them... :)

• Thumbs Up 1
  • This is Worthy 2

To add to this post on Proverbs 7.

Prov. 7:5 That they may keep thee from the strange woman, from the stranger which flattereth with her words.

Prov. 7:21 With her much fair speech she caused him to yield, with the flattering of her lips she forced him.

False doctrine is very appealing to the carnal side of men. That is the target of the fair speech. We notice that a false teacher does not differentiate a person who is living by the power of the flesh and one who lives by the power of the Spirit. The teaching is meant to appeal to the uncrucified...those that still seek advantage for themselves. These are susceptible to flattering words. We all know that God loves us...but this truth is used to extend to the part of us that is in rebellion to God. For many it is difficult to tell the difference between what is life giving and what eventually leads to death. The thing that we see over and over again is the way a lie will seek to flatter a person as they are. As if God loves us in our sin. But God is seeking to love us AWAY from our sin.We need to cultivate a good understanding of God's ways...and what His holiness means to us.

There is more hidden messages in this chapter...for example...who is the "goodman" in the verse below?

Prov. 7:19 For the goodman is not at home, he is gone a long journey:

• Brilliant! 2

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,679
  • Content Per Day:  1.40
  • Days Won:  16

11 minutes ago, Pekoudah said:

There is more hidden messages in this chapter...for example...who is the "goodman" in the verse below?

Prov. 7:19 For the goodman is not at home, he is gone a long journey:

When I saw "goodman"....right or wrong my mind instantly remembered Jesus response to the rich young ruler in Luke:

Now a certain ruler asked Him, saying, “Good Teacher, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?”

So Jesus said to him, “Why do you call Me good? No one is good but One, that is, God.

I've found that statement very interesting for a long time.  I don't read Hebrew, but I'm curious....is there any  reason to believe the 'goodman' in the OT passage y0u cited is related  to what Jesus was trying to convey to the rich young ruler?

• Praise God! 2

7 minutes ago, Jostler said:

When I saw "goodman"....right or wrong my mind instantly remembered Jesus response to the rich young ruler in Luke:

I've found that statement very interesting for a long time.  I don't read Hebrew, but I'm curious....is there any  reason to believe the 'goodman' in the OT passage y0u cited is related  to what Jesus was trying to convey to the rich young ruler?

Hey Jostler...yes. The young ruler was speaking idly about something important. Jesus was indeed good...but not in the way the young man was saying it. Jesus was actually Good. So then the goodman in  Prov.7 is indeed Jesus...gone on a long trip.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,679
  • Content Per Day:  1.40
  • Days Won:  16

7 minutes ago, Pekoudah said:

Hey Jostler...yes. The young ruler was speaking idly about something important. Jesus was indeed good...but not in the way the young man was saying it. Jesus was actually Good. So then the goodman in  Prov.7 is indeed Jesus...gone on a long trip.

thank you for the confirmation :)   Jesus had this wonderful way of subtly revealing who He really was, without DEMANDING others recognize Him.  I thought that might be the parallel and the goodman might be a hidden reference to Jesus.   If it is, then it's not hard to draw parallels between faithfulness to Him while He is away, and spiritual adultery.

I noticed a couple things in Jesus' exchange with the rich young ruler, and one was that He did not deny that He was the good teacher the ruler addressed Him as.  He simply tried to get the ruler to ask himself who he was calling good, and why.  In a way I see Jesus asking very gently and subtly asking "Do you really understand who you are talking to?"

Edited by Jostler
  • This is Worthy 1
  • Brilliant! 2

6 minutes ago, Jostler said:

thank you for the confirmation :)   Jesus had this wonderful way of subtly revealing who He really was, without DEMANDING others recognize Him.  I thought that might be the parallel and the goodman might be a hidden reference to Jesus.   If it is, then it's not hard to draw parallels between faithfulness to Him while He is away, and spiritual adultery.

I noticed a couple things in Jesus' exchange with the rich young ruler, and one was that He did not deny that He was the good teacher the ruler addressed Him as.  He simply tried to get the ruler to ask who he was calling good, and why.  In a way I see Jesus asking very gently and subtly "Do you really understand who you are talking to?"

Good observations. :) I would add that when the young man asked what he needed to do to be saved...Jesus only lists the 6 righteousness commandments...the 2nd tablet...leaving the first tablet, the holiness tablet, out of the conversation. So when the young man asks what is more than that...Jesus reveals that forsaking all to follow Him FULFILLS the first 4 commandments of the first tablet which is to love God with all we have and are.

• This is Worthy 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  30
  • Topic Count:  265
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  13,172
  • Content Per Day:  3.49
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  10/06/1947

6 hours ago, Pekoudah said:

Have you ever read a verse in the bible and saw new meaning in it as if you were reading it for the first time? Even though you had read it many times before?

There are layers of meaning in the bible....especially in the OT....since the gospel was truly hidden at that time. But not so hidden that it can't be revealed by the Spirit and careful study.

Hi Pekoudah,.

Thank you so much for posting these wonderful treasures. I am really appreciating what you have found out. I had a song going round my head this morning, -

"More, more about Jesus, tell me more about Jesus,

More of His wonderful saving grace, more of His tender love for me.`

Not sure if I got the words right, but the intent is that I want to know more about Jesus, and there you are bringing in fresh `manna` about our precious Lord and His word.

Blessings, Marilyn.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Praise God! 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  860
  • Content Per Day:  0.47
  • Days Won:  0

Now you all say Jesus is this good man gone a long journey. 

Beginning in the chapter, God is calling all of this earth(earthly people) to have understanding so connected with you, so that the act of non understanding is kept from you. The man void of understanding is enticed.

Proverbs 7:1 My son, keep my words, and lay up my commandments with thee.
2 Keep my commandments, and live; and my law as the apple of thine eye.
3 Bind them upon thy fingers, write them upon the table of thine heart.
4 Say unto wisdom, Thou art my sister; and call understanding thy kinswoman:
5 That they may keep thee from the strange woman, from the stranger which flattereth with her words.
6 For at the window of my house I looked through my casement,
7 And beheld among the simple ones, I discerned among the youths, a young man void of understanding,

To the earthly thinking doing man, they are enticed, by the wickedness of this world, to love it fully. The excuse for doing so in this example, is there will be no problems, no chance of being discovered and caught.

Proverbs 7:18 Come, let us take our fill of love until the morning: let us solace ourselves with loves.
19 For the goodman is not at home, he is gone a long journey:
20 He hath taken a bag of money with him, and will come home at the day appointed.

Now this woman is the paths to hell, is the devil, and Christ is not married to that at all, is not that good man. But the kings of the earth have committed fornication with it, and all the inhabitants of the earth are made drunk with the wine of her fornication. But here is the good man I suppose as told, it is the one who let his house be broken up, because he did not watch, exactly as happened in this case, this good man was not watching or caring about what his fornicating wife was doing, this was the point, which we see nobody got., and I think will not.

Proverbs 7:24 Hearken unto me now therefore, O ye children, and attend to the words of my mouth.
25 Let not thine heart decline to her ways, go not astray in her paths.
26 For she hath cast down many wounded: yea, many strong men have been slain by her.
27 Her house is the way to hell, going down to the chambers of death.

Revelation 17:2 With whom the kings of the earth have committed fornication, and the inhabitants of the earth have been made drunk with the wine of her fornication.

Revelation 18:3 For all nations have drunk of the wine of the wrath of her fornication, and the kings of the earth have committed fornication with her, and the merchants of the earth are waxed rich through the abundance of her delicacies.

Revelation 18:9 And the kings of the earth, who have committed fornication and lived deliciously with her, shall bewail her, and lament for her, when they shall see the smoke of her burning,

Just in case after I explain you still do not get the point. The Lord comes at an hour you are unaware of. You are that good man of the house, you are the one failing to watch your own house. You are the one joining in with the wickedness of this world, even married to the evil, to the devil, because you did not watch your home to stop the evil that was occuring, you did not watch, so now your title becomes an evil servant, and you will be cut in sunder and have your portion with the hypocrites, unless you can agree with the point being told to you, you will be blessed if you are ruling your household better than that example in Proverbs of the good man away and the wife to play with the fornicators inhabitants of the earth, and just think how many verses you do not know the meaning of then, well it is them all..

Matthew 24:42 Watch therefore: for ye know not what hour your Lord doth come.
43 But know this, that if the goodman of the house had known in what watch the thief would come, he would have watched, and would not have suffered his house to be broken up.
44 Therefore be ye also ready: for in such an hour as ye think not the Son of man cometh.
45 Who then is a faithful and wise servant, whom his lord hath made ruler over his household, to give them meat in due season?
46 Blessed is that servant, whom his lord when he cometh shall find so doing.
47 Verily I say unto you, That he shall make him ruler over all his goods.
48 But and if that evil servant shall say in his heart, My lord delayeth his coming;
49 And shall begin to smite his fellowservants, and to eat and drink with the drunken;
50 The lord of that servant shall come in a day when he looketh not for him, and in an hour that he is not aware of,
51 And shall cut him asunder, and appoint him his portion with the hypocrites: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

Luke 12:36 And ye yourselves like unto men that wait for their lord, when he will return from the wedding; that when he cometh and knocketh, they may open unto him immediately.
37 Blessed are those servants, whom the lord when he cometh shall find watching: verily I say unto you, that he shall gird himself, and make them to sit down to meat, and will come forth and serve them.
38 And if he shall come in the second watch, or come in the third watch, and find them so, blessed are those servants.
39 And this know, that if the goodman of the house had known what hour the thief would come, he would have watched, and not have suffered his house to be broken through.
40 Be ye therefore ready also: for the Son of man cometh at an hour when ye think not.
41 Then Peter said unto him, Lord, speakest thou this parable unto us, or even to all?
42 And the Lord said, Who then is that faithful and wise steward, whom his lord shall make ruler over his household, to give them their portion of meat in due season?
43 Blessed is that servant, whom his lord when he cometh shall find so doing.
44 Of a truth I say unto you, that he will make him ruler over all that he hath.
45 But and if that servant say in his heart, My lord delayeth his coming; and shall begin to beat the menservants and maidens, and to eat and drink, and to be drunken;
46 The lord of that servant will come in a day when he looketh not for him, and at an hour when he is not aware, and will cut him in sunder, and will appoint him his portion with the unbelievers.
47 And that servant, which knew his lord's will, and prepared not himself, neither did according to his will, shall be beaten with many stripes.
48 But he that knew not, and did commit things worthy of stripes, shall be beaten with few stripes. For unto whomsoever much is given, of him shall be much required: and to whom men have committed much, of him they will ask the more.

What wickedness you think of Christ to opinion that he is married to an harlot and one with it, instead of know Christ is married with the faithful and one with them!

Romans 7:4 Wherefore, my brethren, ye also are become dead to the law by the body of Christ; that ye should be married to another, even to him who is raised from the dead, that we should bring forth fruit unto God.

1 Corinthians 6:16 What? know ye not that he which is joined to an harlot is one body? for two, saith he, shall be one flesh.
17 But he that is joined unto the Lord is one spirit.
18 Flee fornication. Every sin that a man doeth is without the body; but he that committeth fornication sinneth against his own body.
19 What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?

• Thumbs Up 2