• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  679
  • Topics Per Day:  0.37
  • Content Count:  1,327
  • Content Per Day:  0.72
  • Days Won:  0

Just now, enoob57 said:

I see The Scripture as that which guides my heart and mind into truth that cannot be taken from me :) 

Not trying to take your truth from you ennob57, so feel safe and secure that's not the reason behind the discussion. So to make you feel better, we will just agree to disagree. I could do an in depth study with you but it would accomplish nothing so I will leave you and the immortal worms alone.;)  Besides, even when we disagree on particular understandings of scriptures, there is always the bond of our love for God and the Lord Jesus.  

• Loved it! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  99
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  40,780
  • Content Per Day:  7.95
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

9 minutes ago, Tigger56 said:

Not trying to take your truth from you ennob57, so feel safe and secure that's not the reason behind the discussion. So to make you feel better, we will just agree to disagree. I could do an in depth study with you but it would accomplish nothing so I will leave you and the immortal worms alone.;)  Besides, even when we disagree on particular understandings of scriptures, there is always the bond of our love for God and the Lord Jesus.  

anyone who denies the clear Biblical statements that the fire is torment and not consuming clearly is of an agenda apart from the authority of Scripture... and making jokes of it clearly declare the spirit of the concept…

9 minutes ago, Tigger56 said:

Not trying to take your truth from you ennob57, so feel safe and secure that's not the reason behind the discussion.

I am not surprised this is wrong assessment as well... God's Word is the authority here and throughout the eternity... that is the proper assessment of what I wrote! 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Please stop fighting!  Thanks!  :) 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,673
  • Content Per Day:  2.46
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

49 minutes ago, JustPassingThru said:

Yes you are correct brother, that is not what John Arminian taught, ...however the churches that claim to follow his doctrine today have metamorphosed it into turn or burn, it's used as a scare tactic because pastors are constantly under pressure from their denominational leaders to increase attendance, I heard it in my first church for three years and I'm hearing it hear in the AoG's, sorry, I didn't clarify that point, ...if John Arminian were alive today he, ...just like Calvin, would be shocked as to what is being taught in their names.

Lord bless  

not all of them. Ive been a member of many armenian churches, and while some do use it as a scare tactic many do not. I would say the ratio is about the same as many of the more calvinistic churches.

But I do agree with you on Calvin and Arminian would be rolling in their graves. What many of these churches dont realize is Arminian, Calvin and even Luther were not only all contemporaries, but were friends/allies at the time who were regularly writing each other and debating the finer points of scripture, and while they didnt always agree with each other they did stand united against the catholic church. I don't think any of them would want to see the division in the churches that we see today in their "names"

Fun fact, the Bible college I attended was very Armenian in nature, and I had one professor in general who was also a pastor of a local CoC (I attended his church as well) who was extremely anti-calvin on everything. Well for one of his papers I went through and used Calvins Commentaries almost exclusively as my sources. And after reading it, he even said that perhaps he misjudged Calvin a lot, because he agreed with both mine and Calvins points so much. The two actually agreed on about 95% of their doctrine.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,979
  • Content Per Day:  1.00
  • Days Won:  1

2 hours ago, The_Patriot2019 said:

But I do agree with you on Calvin and Arminian would be rolling in their graves. What many of these churches dont realize is Arminian, Calvin and even Luther were not only all contemporaries, but were friends/allies at the time who were regularly writing each other and debating the finer points of scripture, and while they didnt always agree with each other they did stand united against the catholic church. I don't think any of them would want to see the division in the churches that we see today in their "names"

Yep, ...absolutely!!!

Also a major factor in the lives was, ...they all lived before May 14, 1948!

That day was a game changer in the Church, which opened the eyes of many as to their limited knowledge of Biblical Truth.

May the Lord continually bless you brother

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

On 5/13/2019 at 12:25 AM, thomas t said:

Hi all.

Jesus told a doubter (Mt 11:4): the blind receive their sight and the lame walk, lepers are cleansed and the deaf hear, and the dead are raised up, and the poor have good news preached to them.

This is the opposite of any posts telling a doubter that they should repent or burn in hell.

So I will always distance myself from turn-or-burn posts.

Thomas

*It should read "repent or burn", but these words don't give a nice rhyme :P.

Edit: Mt 11:4 uses εὐαγγέλιον in Greek meaning literally "GOOD news" according to Britannica.com.

Why do you not like the saying "Turn or burn"?

• Brilliant! 1

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,979
  • Content Per Day:  1.00
  • Days Won:  1

2 hours ago, Tigger56 said:

Death is death. At the time we die as humans, our spirit does return unto the Lord and our physical bodies turn to dust. However, in the Lake of Fire death will be final. So I do understand where you indicate that death is a separation and that is true at our first death but not the final death.

I'm a  Berean, so please show me Scripture to validate your hypothesis...

Lord bless

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  470
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Birthday:  04/07/1946

11 hours ago, thomas t said:

Hi Vlad, no I'm in favor of it.

What I'm against of is people telling others "repent!". If they do it in a good way, then ok. There are awesome things about repentance, indeed.

But please don't just shovel down the calls to repentance through other people's throats. I don't find the love in these. Before Jesus came to talk about hell... he performed many wonders out of love. His message was well balanced I'd say.

I would want the discussions with doubters here on Worthy to be loving and beautiful. "repent or burn forever!" can burst any discussion and to me, it seems to be ignorant behavior because the author of these messages doesn't make it clear that he emphathizes with the doubter. It often comes across as saying "burn you heathen! and I don't care!"

I don't like the style of these fire and brimstone messages.

Thomas

Thank you. I agree that nobody should insist on anyone to repent. Especially so when those who think of others forget their own repentance. Now I understand you perfectly. 

• Thanks 1

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  87
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,795
  • Content Per Day:  1.36
  • Days Won:  3

On 5/13/2019 at 2:25 AM, thomas t said:

Hi all.

Jesus told a doubter (Mt 11:4): the blind receive their sight and the lame walk, lepers are cleansed and the deaf hear, and the dead are raised up, and the poor have good news preached to them.

This is the opposite of any posts telling a doubter that they should repent or burn in hell.

So I will always distance myself from turn-or-burn posts.

Thomas

*It should read "repent or burn", but these words don't give a nice rhyme :P.

Edit: Mt 11:4 uses εὐαγγέλιον in Greek meaning literally "GOOD news" according to Britannica.com.

"turn or burn", is not the Gospel of Grace.

This type of religious assault, generally considered "beating someone with the bible", is a really good way to harm and hinder someone's search for the Love of God.

Normally, the people who are screeching about 'repent", are baby christians, carnal christians, = self righteous christians.

The reality is, people don't generally find God when they are living on the mountain top of life.  They usually seek to find God when they are hurting, and that is good because they discover that "Jesus" came to heal their broken heart and ruined life".   And one of the things most people will never forget, upon entering into their "2nd Birthday", is ....."God calmed my life-storm....God healed my broken heart".... and when this happens, they don't forget, as there is nothing on earth that can come inside you and take away the misery, the guilt, the pain, the fear,  and the anxiety....... Only God can do this, through Christ, and it happens to many who believe, and they never forget what it was like to suddenly have all the heavy heavy weight they were carrying for years, inside themselves, be removed and the peace that passes all understanding replaced this, instantly.  This is not something you forget., this is something that seals your faith.  This is the "proof" that atheists will never understand, as they are looking for outward proof of God's existence, .... however.... God proves Himself internally, inside you.

Edited by Behold
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1
  • Thanks 1

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  679
  • Topics Per Day:  0.37
  • Content Count:  1,327
  • Content Per Day:  0.72

8 hours ago, JustPassingThru said:

I'm a  Berean, so please show me Scripture to validate your hypothesis...

Lord bless

I knew the term Berean was used in Paul's writings.... definition found: The word "Berean" was chosen to reflect the words in Acts 17, "These (Berea) were more noble than those in Thessalonica in that they received the word with all readiness of mind and searched the scriptures daily whether those things were so."

Do you belong to a "Berean church"?  Or is this a title you give to yourself?  Just curious as I hadn't heard anyone use that term before.

As for scripture...  I would recommend you go back and look back over all the scriptures dealing with death and resurrection. It should be a fun study for you and it would save me the time from going over everyone of them. But if you still desire me to do this for you let me know.....  Thanks.