• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,024
  • Content Per Day:  1.34
  • Days Won:  3

On 5/18/2019 at 6:34 AM, thomas t said:

Hi Still Alive,

I agree with Neighbor: Bible should always be taken literally, in case a metaphor isn't indicated.

You have context. You have the possibility to compare the translation of a Hebrew word that you prefer to other occurances in the Bible to cross check if your translations stay the same. 

Amen.

No. It merely speaks about death. However, death in the Bible is always temporary, as I see it. Look at this, Samuel being dead while talking....

Then Samuel said to Saul, “Why have you disturbed me by bringing me up?” 1. Samuel 28:15. Please note, Samuel died as early as in verse 3.

Regards,

Thomas t

I don't believe death in the bible is always temporary. The Samuel example doesn't speak to all humans that ever lived. And it happened before the GWTJ. i.e. I don't think it speaks to the issue at all. 

And yes, you have context. And it is interpreted. It is why different bibles sometimes say different things. The word Elohim occurs thousands of times in the bible. Sometimes it is translated God, sometimes Gods, and sometimes demons. All it really means, without context, is someone from the spiritual realm.

One of the reasons I simply can't take all of the bible as literal is that some of the things it teaches, from a scientific level, are simply wrong. But it is not a science book so one can cut the writers slack since they were speaking from their world view.