• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,625
  • Content Per Day:  0.79
  • Days Won:  1

7 minutes ago, Still Alive said:

Your number two is a rule I've had in place since 1997. I articulate it thusly: Every time you post something on the internet, assume that the one person in the world that wants to do you the most harm will read it. And they will use it in any way possible to harm or discredit you. It's served me very well. 

A great way to approach posting on the internet because there is a real potential of such things happening.  But even worse, imagine your own posts being read before you on Judgement Day.  A sobering thought...

• This is Worthy 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,024
  • Content Per Day:  1.34
  • Days Won:  3

1 hour ago, OneLight said:

Christian sites have always had those who come in to challenge the beliefs of the members.  That is expected, and even welcomed.  How else will they hear the truth?  Some are trolls, but others are not.

But, I think you are talking more about the members who are Christians that continue to battle with each other.  It seems that more and more people have studied the scriptures and developed their own theology, which is normal and can be a really good step forward.  What is not an act of maturity in Christ is when they close and lock their theology and will not consider that they may be wrong, often degrading a question posted to them into a heated debate that includes name calling, insulting and even questioning someone's salvation.  That is an act of pride and arrogance, not one where people reason together.   I would suggest when a conversation begins down a negative path, speak the truth and then turn away.  An argument needs two sides.  If one walks away, the argument stops.  If you do decide to do the mature thing and realize that the discussion is going nowhere and leave, don't be drawn back in when someone posts something negative to you last post, usually coming in a way of trying to have the last word in proving how wrong your words are.  Let them stand on their own merit.  If they are the truth, others will see it.

Never have a closed mind, as if you hold the truth and if anyone disagrees with you, they are wrong.  Everyone is in a different place in Christ, some just beginning, usually very zealous, and others more mature, usually calmer and more reserved.  Yet, even Paul tells us that we see through a glass darkly, or in a mirror dimly.  Nobody on any site holds the truth 100% of the time.

I also see it this way: The internet is doing to Christianity something similar to what the invention of the printing press did: Giving us a form of reformation.  Case in point: Now that people can freely study, discuss and debate the ECT vs CI issue, ECT is in real trouble and CI is growing at an amazing pace. When people are free to discuss, the truth percolates to the top. But it also causes a lot of debate and downright consternation with those that refuse to budge or even really debate - kinda like the Pharasees.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  949
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,522
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

6 hours ago, Tzephanyahu said:

At the moment I'm not recommending this forum to anyone.

You and the Pope eh?:)

Personally, I love Worthy Christian Forums! It leads me into  Bible study each day. It leads me into prayer for various saints and visitors and enemies of our Lord and savior each day. It leads me into praise of God each day. It leads me into  joy and into  encouragement and appreciation of fellowship with born again believers from cultures so different from my own, and to the humor of others.

May God continue to bless the ministry Worthy Christian Forums.

4 minutes ago, Neighbor said:

May God continue to bless the ministry Worthy Christian Forums.

Amen and amen.

My plight is not against WCF itself.  Unfortunately, you've misunderstood my posts.

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.24
  • Days Won:  115

23 minutes ago, Still Alive said:

I also see it this way: The internet is doing to Christianity something similar to what the invention of the printing press did: Giving us a form of reformation.  Case in point: Now that people can freely study, discuss and debate the ECT vs CI issue, ECT is in real trouble and CI is growing at an amazing pace. When people are free to discuss, the truth percolates to the top. But it also causes a lot of debate and downright consternation with those that refuse to budge or even really debate - kinda like the Pharasees.

I am not good with acronyms.  Can you spell out ECT and CI for me so I can follow?  I blame it on age!  LOL

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  949
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,522
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

Hi again, Just an additional thought:

If a thread seems to be a set up for an argument one does not wish to engage in nor see anymore, use the nifty feature Ignore this Thread.

And if one does not wish to be reading a particular poster's essays and comments just use Ignore Poster with all it's options.

I use ignore this thread often just to thin out what I no longer can gain much from. And I do use ignore  This  Poster as well. 

One can always turn the features back off  at any time or peek in  on a thread or a posters response should the desire overcome.

Seems to me reading posts that one does not like because they contain views different from one's own is silly. Just stop reading them. Just as I am now doing on this one, and putting it on ignore, before it becomes like reading vain argument.

May God bless all with a happy heart today.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  99
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,036
  • Content Per Day:  7.97
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

1 hour ago, OneLight said:

Christian sites have always had those who come in to challenge the beliefs of the members.  That is expected, and even welcomed.  How else will they hear the truth?  Some are trolls, but others are not.

But, I think you are talking more about the members who are Christians that continue to battle with each other.  It seems that more and more people have studied the scriptures and developed their own theology, which is normal and can be a really good step forward.  What is not an act of maturity in Christ is when they close and lock their theology and will not consider that they may be wrong, often degrading a question posted to them into a heated debate that includes name calling, insulting and even questioning someone's salvation.  That is an act of pride and arrogance, not one where people reason together.   I would suggest when a conversation begins down a negative path, speak the truth and then turn away.  An argument needs two sides.  If one walks away, the argument stops.  If you do decide to do the mature thing and realize that the discussion is going nowhere and leave, don't be drawn back in when someone posts something negative to you last post, usually coming in a way of trying to have the last word in proving how wrong your words are.  Let them stand on their own merit.  If they are the truth, others will see it.

Never have a closed mind, as if you hold the truth and if anyone disagrees with you, they are wrong.  Everyone is in a different place in Christ, some just beginning, usually very zealous, and others more mature, usually calmer and more reserved.  Yet, even Paul tells us that we see through a glass darkly, or in a mirror dimly.  Nobody on any site holds the truth 100% of the time.

yes and this as well

1 Cor 8:1-3

8 Now as touching things offered unto idols, we know that we all have knowledge. Knowledge puffeth up, but charity edifieth.

2 And if any man think that he knoweth anything, he knoweth nothing yet as he ought to know.

3 But if any man love God, the same is known of him.
KJV

1 minute ago, Neighbor said:

Seems to me reading posts that one does not like because they contain views different from one's own is silly.

I think you are misunderstanding Neighbor, but that's okay.  

What I mean is how it appears as a witness to new joiners or new believers.  Such posts also pull peaceful brothers and sisters into it, with provocative comments, and then those who are in need in the forum get less time and attention.

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,024
  • Content Per Day:  1.34
  • Days Won:  3

10 minutes ago, OneLight said:

I am not good with acronyms.  Can you spell out ECT and CI for me so I can follow?  I blame it on age!  LOL

Sure

ECT - Eternal Conscious Torment

CI - Conditional Immortality i.e. only the saved have eternal life. The lost are annihilated.

It's covered in more detail here: http://www.jewishnotgreek.com/

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.24
  • Days Won:  115

41 minutes ago, Still Alive said:

Sure

ECT - Eternal Conscious Torment

CI - Conditional Immortality i.e. only the saved have eternal life. The lost are annihilated.

It's covered in more detail here: http://www.jewishnotgreek.com/

Thank you for explaining.

• Thumbs Up 1