IGNORED

Assurance and Holiness: Incompatible or Complementary?

GandalfTheWise

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.93
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

15 minutes ago, GandalfTheWise said:

I've been observing some rather heated threads lately rehashing the same topic that have been increasingly lacking in grace and obvious fruit of the Spirit.  I enjoy reading and participating in fruitful dialogue and debate.  However, some posts in these threads have gotten to the point of being ludicrous and accusatory.   I'm of course referring to threads debating the presence, role, possibility (or impossibility), and causes of assurance and holiness in a Christian's life.   Whether this is cast as a OSAS/non-OSAS debate or whatever, in my opinion, these threads are ultimately dealing with questions regarding the place of assurance and holiness in a Christian's life.

Tremendous post, Gandalf. Yes, this has been quite a sticky wicket here amongst WCF members. Hopefully we can get onto more edifying posts and topics. Thanks for this thoughtful observant commentary. God bless! 

Shalom, 

David/BeauJangles 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Praise God! 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  27
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  302
  • Content Per Day:  0.17
  • Days Won:  1

The way I see it...holiness IS assurance. Let me explain...

If we are walking in our own strength and still messing things up from time to time...in a very human way...then any assurance we have may be arbitrary...IOW our hope is intact....but what level of faith are we walking in.

Now if a person is walking in the Spirit...filled with love, joy and peace so that NO WAY this is by human power....then one can be assured that they are partaking of the salvation of God.

Of course we will all be judged for more than what we experience in any moment, hour or day. But in the same way we know that there is love for God in our hearts and that our hope of a future salvation is alive...so also the spiritual realm which we enter by faith testifies to the angels as well as men...that we are His. THAT is the kind of assurance that is by faith and not just by hope.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  27
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  302
  • Content Per Day:  0.17
  • Days Won:  1

1 hour ago, GandalfTheWise said:

Sadly, many Christians judge other Christians by what menu they carry around rather than how well they can prepare a meal.

Amen. An interesting way of putting it. What I call this is the false assumption that God is looking for an accuracy of beliefs...rather than a life lived in the power and love of Christ.

We tend to be once removed from truth...as in..."I saw the man that saw the bear." We are after all, reading an account in the bible of those who interacted with God. So unless we also interact with God...as it is written in the bible...then we will only have a knowledge ABOUT God. And since immature believers still walk with pride...that is where the sticking point will be....at their "menu" as you say...or what they see as accuracy of beliefs. 

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,224
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

Mat 5:9  Blessed are the peacemakers! For they shall be called sons of God.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1