nickm727

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  46
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0

What do you tell someone who asks you "Who created God?" ?

I could only go to scripture that tells us that our God is a Jealous God. 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  6,726
  • Content Per Day:  2.92
  • Days Won:  5

I would tell them “ who cares”. If we knew who created God, Then we would be asking “ who created the guy that created God”. The next question would be “ who created the guy who created the guy who created God. Then we would have to ask “ who was the guy that..........” Get the point? The questions would never end....it’s a silly, useless pursuit 

I was amiss in this original post that I did not state the obvious— God has no beginning, no “ creator”, and no end......my bad...

Edited by Blood Bought 1953
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Brilliant! 1
  • Oy Vey! 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  679
  • Topics Per Day:  0.37
  • Content Count:  1,327
  • Content Per Day:  0.72

1 hour ago, nickm727 said:

Tell them the truth, God has always existed. You can't explain  "always", our minds have difficulty with it for all of us had a beginning. But "always" is something even atheist believe in. They refute an ever existing God but will claim life started from matter (where did the matter come from?), life started from a chemical pool (where did the chemicals come from?), life started from a big explosion (where did the elements come from to cause the explosion?) It's hard to use the Bible as proof since atheist won't accept it as God's inspired word. Belief is a choice, doubt is a choice. So simply tell them the truth, our God is eternal.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Followers:  24
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,459
  • Content Per Day:  0.61
  • Days Won:  2

1 hour ago, nickm727 said:

It depends who is asking and why they are asking.   If it is a Christian trying to understand spiritual matters, they're likely to accept traditional Christian responses about God's transcendent and self-existent nature. If it's with someone with non-Christian beliefs (e.g. LDS who roughly speaking believe God is an evolved being who was once finite like us), some other authoritative teaching is likely being used.   If it's an apologetics type of situation, I doubt they'd accept an answer from the Bible as authoritative and some amount of reason must be used.  I try to understand why they are asking the question before giving an answer.

The standard Christian answer about God's self-existence is rooted more in theology that specific Bible verses.  In much of the Bible, it is simply assumed that God is all-powerful and self-existent.  There are a few verses here and there that allude to this, but in general, it's simply taken for granted.

When dealing with those who hold to authoritative extra-biblical sources, the starting point may need to be related to what sources of authority are to be accepted in answering such questions.  There's no quick and simple answer for this.   It's easy to memorize some questions, answers, and arguments about this.   However, in my opinion, it's often more about reaching them as a unique human being than scoring points in a debate.

In apologetics situations, I often go for presenting plausibility rather than proof.    Ultimately, if politely and prudently questioned, most people come to the realization that they already believe in something eternal and self-existent in some sense.  They'll also realize that their opinion about it is ultimately based on some type of conjecture and various degrees of confidence about that conjecture.  Their own existence and the existence of some type of world around them usually point to questions about where the universe come from.  I just try to gently tease out what they are really thinking and then go from there.

To summarize, my response depends on the person doing asking.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,272
  • Content Per Day:  1.73

2 hours ago, nickm727 said:

As Gandalf has said, 'Who is asking?

If an atheist/agnostic you could ask them who or what caused the big bang to happen and when they've finished spluttering point out that what ever has a begining also has a cause.

The universe has a begining and must have something that caused it to begin.

Then ask them what caused what ever caused the big bang to happen to exist and ditto into infinity or can they comprehend the idea of a supernatural being that exists outside of our universe and so no subject to its laws or to time that is God.

• Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.94
  • Days Won:  3

5 hours ago, nickm727 said:

I tell them I don't know. Because I don't know. God has just always been. The beginning and the end.  

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,776
  • Content Per Day:  1.29

5 hours ago, nickm727 said:

I teach 4-5 year olds in Vacation Bible School every year.

I've had a few ask with a simple and earnest desire for understanding, "Ms. Jayne - who is God's mama?"

I tell them simply that God does not have a mama because God has always been here and always will be.  He didn't need a mama or daddy.  He was not born like we were.  He is different than us that way and that's good because he gets to be the boss and loves us and wants us to love him.

They seem to be always satisfied.

I find children to be so much more accepting of the truths of God that some adults.

If an adult asks - and usually trying to trip up a Christian - one should say that God is not a created being.  He is the Creator and the Bible teaches that God is, was, and will be from everlasting to everlasting.  And let it go.  Don't argue the point.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.95
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

23 minutes ago, Jayne said:

I teach 4-5 year olds in Vacation Bible School every year.

I've had a few ask with a simple and earnest desire for understanding, "Ms. Jayne - who is God's mama?"

A fascinating question. In all my days as a toddler growing up in church, the thought never entered my mind. 

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,776
  • Content Per Day:  1.29

25 minutes ago, BeauJangles said:

A fascinating question. In all my days as a toddler growing up in church, the thought never entered my mind. 

HA!  Me neither!  

I will say this.  I dig deep with those little guys and gals.  They can take it.

I asked a question once about the Tower of Babel.  I said, "Why do you think God just didn't knock down the tower?"  [I was telling the story as we were using wooden blocks to build a tower as high as we could.

I always pause for a while......and sure enough, one tot said, "Well, you how bad those people were.  They would have just built it back again."

• Haha 1
  • Loved it! 1