Blue Lulu

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  77
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,271
  • Content Per Day:  0.57
  • Days Won:  1

I believe that is how the expression goes.  Anyway I contacted an acquaintance to get together but she had things going on.  We finally decided to get together a week after my initial invitation.  That morning she cancelled, saying she pulled a muscle in her back and was going to the chiropractor.  I told her I was concerned and was there anything I could do but heard nothing.  I contacted another acquaintance wanted to get together with her and another girl.  They all say they are very busy, no time but we finally decided on Monday.  Received a text today “Let’s take a rain check”.  How did it get so hard to have a friendly get together?  I don’t feel that bad about it but it’s sad that this is the way things seem to be now.

• Loved it! 1

• Group:  Non-Trinitarian
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  160
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Days Won:  0

There are so many distractions today, and increasing as the Day draws nigh. I believe this is why the writer of Hebrews warns the saints - 

"let us consider one another in order to stir up love and good works, 25 not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as is the manner of some, but exhorting one another, and so much the more as you see the Day approaching." - Heb 10:24-25

And again...

"Beware, brethren, lest there be in any of you an evil heart of unbelief in departing from the living God; 13 but exhort one another daily, while it is called “Today,” lest any of you be hardened through the deceitfulness of sin. 14 For we have become partakers of Christ if we hold the beginning of our confidence steadfast to the end." - Heb 3:12-14

May you find good fellowship with those like-minded and be blessed.

• Thumbs Up 4

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.95
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

17 minutes ago, Blue Lulu said:

I believe that is how the expression goes.  Anyway I contacted an acquaintance to get together but she had things going on.  We finally decided to get together a week after my initial invitation.  That morning she cancelled, saying she pulled a muscle in her back and was going to the chiropractor.  I told her I was concerned and was there anything I could do but heard nothing.  I contacted another acquaintance wanted to get together with her and another girl.  They all say they are very busy, no time but we finally decided on Monday.  Received a text today “Let’s take a rain check”.  How did it get so hard to have a friendly get together?  I don’t feel that bad about it but it’s sad that this is the way things seem to be now.

Well, I'm not sure of your personal status and all, but as time and the years go by, these acquaintances can begin to dwindle if not kept up in personal contact. It's hard also in church if you have one, where singles are left on the out-skirts of fellowship as well. It seems like so many churches are 'family oriented' quite a bit. Maybe there may be one or more in a bible study that you might bond in fellowship outside of church services. Just a thought. God bless. 

David/BeauJangles

• Thumbs Up 4

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,280
  • Content Per Day:  1.25
  • Days Won:  2

2 hours ago, Blue Lulu said:

This world is very fast paced, and nobody has any free time it seems.  It has been that way for a while.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  940
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,412
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

11 hours ago, Blue Lulu said:

Well, it does seem that  "things" separate many individuals from each other even if they are together nowadays.

Just look at any restaurant table. The stoney silence and lack of interplay is overwhelmed by the cacophony of background music and tvs on the walls, the clatter of dishes, and food servers running about, all while a mom is on her smart phone looking at facebook, as two daughters are texting but not to each other, and dad  well he too just received a call, has his ear pods on and is chatting away way too loud  into the air. And oh look, how cute the baby, wait the baby has a baby's Ipad and is banging away at a low quality image  on it. How cute America's family. And at the next table....

Who wants to get together somewhere for this madness?

At her work the receptionist has  her Iphone, her I pad, and her work station computer all on facebook, all at the same time. She is looking at three different facebook postings at the same time and now now she is texting her responses. Ah mam, mam, is pastor Joe in today? Wait just a minute?  ah okay. But you see I have this million dollar donation to give. Wait. wait just a minute? Okay.  Not a respecter of persons? Ah okay. But  it is cash I do want to get it  passed on  quickly. Wait a minute? Well sure okay., Oh pictures of your niece's friends friend's daughter with her little doggie,? Yes cute. I see and oh  your sister from Mississippi  that's her daughter on that one.? Oh.  Is pastor Joe in,  do you know?  

Yep many are very busy- but at what? Nobody wants to play a nice game of monopoly anymore. Unless it is at the drive through at McD's.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  940
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,412
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

When I was young, back before dirt was created, we actually used to get together for weekends away with close work friends, go to an old rickety mountain cabin, chat, and play monopoly. And make a fire, sit and talk to each other. We were poor as church mice, maybe poorer. We would pool our money for gas, food, and refreshment, popcorn, Kool Aid, and if funds were extra plentiful even a little Vodka.

That was an outing, a sharing of the "good times". One time we had a little extra funding for food and the gals decided to cook using the oven. I heard  a call, "hey can someone light the oven? We evidently don't know how to do it."  I said, as Tarzan might to Jane "well Of course", and so I went into the gal's kitchen works where they were fixing all sorts of food, and struck the wood stick match,  opened the oven door to touch it to the pilot gas ignition hole in that marvelous old stove. - Boom!! Flash!! I felt myself airborne then instantly crushing into the refrigerator door on the other side of the kitchen. I no longer had eyebrows nor eyelashes. 

Seems the gals forgot to mention they had been trying to light the oven for some time without success by turning on the gas with the oven door closed, not realizing they first need light the pilot hole inside the oven. And Tarzan good at swinging from trees, but not bright enough to ask have you been turning on the oven gas knob without first lighting the pilot by any chance, spent the rest of the weekend noticing more and more areas that had been stripped completely of hair. Why I was smooth as a new born baby smoother even.

We never used that stove again.

Perhaps some social occasions are not all they are cracked up to be, but... maybe they are worth a shot anyway, shot across the room  or shot of Vodka, or both. Praise God for allowing me to survive all those social occasions.

Ya know what? I am actually trying to close on a mountain cabin  before the month's end. Maybe trying to relive my younger days? Who knows?  I have already looked to see if internet and cable are available  there. Terrible, terrible - I do so hope I will stick to my original  goal of having a no tv, no cable, no internet, cabin and just have a library,... and a monopoly board.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  239
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  1,542
  • Content Per Day:  0.77
  • Days Won:  0

21 hours ago, Willa said:

I used to tell my sons to be a friend to someone who needs a friend.  So they had friends who were of other nationalities and who were not always included.  When I was in my 20s I preferred church friends who were elderly and who were so often rich in the grace of God.  

This is true. Those that need a friend won't turn you away.

• Thumbs Up 1