Questions about Jesus being the Son of God

• Group:  Nonbeliever
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  115
  • Content Per Day:  0.21
  • Days Won:  0

So within the Godhead there is the Father, the Son (Jesus), and the Holy Spirit. Was Jesus always the Son of God, or did He become the Son of God when He was conceived by the Holy Spirit in Mary? And when the term Son of God is used is it meaning Jesus is the Son of God the Father? Also, when someone affirms that Jesus is the Son of God are they saying that Jesus is the Son of God the Father?

Edit: Just to make clear I'm aware that the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit are God and all three are eternal as one God, none being created.

Edited by LeeGreenForest

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  320
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  6,829
  • Content Per Day:  0.85
  • Days Won:  1

Hi LeeGreenForest.

John 1: 1-2, v1, In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 
    2, The same was in the beginning with God. 

The Word became Flesh, John 1: 14, And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.

As the Word, He had no beginning, as man He had a beginning.

He was begotten of the Father, through the Holy Spirit. When was He begotten of the Father? "This Day."

Psalm 2:7,  I will declare the decree: the LORD hath said unto me, Thou art my Son; this day have I begotten thee. 

Acst 13:33, God hath fulfilled the same unto us their children, in that he hath raised up Jesus again; as it is also written in the second psalm, Thou art my Son, this day have I begotten thee. 

Hebrews 5:5, So also Christ glorified not himself to be made an high priest; but he that said unto him, Thou art my Son, to day have I begotten thee.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Praise God! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  940
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,412
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

For consideration:

There are references to incarnations or Christophanies by the Son of God long before He again took on the flesh of man by Mary.

He appeared in the firey furnace with Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego likened to a son of the gods.

He wrestled Jacob ( Israel), and Jacob who had wrestled the man ( Jesus) all night declared  I have seen  the face of God and I have not died.

Jesus makes clear declaration within much  of John 8 that he has always been the Son of God. That He and God  The Father are one. 

-------------

• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,361
  • Content Per Day:  2.35
  • Birthday:  02/03/1953

14 hours ago, LeeGreenForest said:

So within the Godhead there is the Father, the Son (Jesus), and the Holy Spirit. Was Jesus always the Son of God, or did He become the Son of God when He was conceived by the Holy Spirit in Mary? And when the term Son of God is used is it meaning Jesus is the Son of God the Father? Also, when someone affirms that Jesus is the Son of God are they saying that Jesus is the Son of God the Father?

Edit: Just to make clear I'm aware that the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit are God and all three are eternal as one God, none being created.

I believe that Jesus is God in flesh Matt 1:23.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,502
  • Content Per Day:  0.67

14 hours ago, LeeGreenForest said:

There is confusion because the prophecy of the Psalm concerning the resurrection is "You are my Son, today I have begotten You."

Fixed: "You are [eternally] my Son, today I have begotten You [from the grave]."

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  897
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,621
  • Content Per Day:  2.03
  • Days Won:  9

On 5/20/2019 at 5:08 PM, LeeGreenForest said:

Philippians 2:6 states that Jesus is equal with the Father (as do passages in John's Gospel).

Can't be equal with the Father if he is a lesser being / junior God.

He clearly had a preincarnation existence (John 1:1 / John 1:14)

The Father (in that same verse) is the direct Creator of this progenitor (btw see 1 Corinthians 15:45) body (implications that the virgin Mary was a surrogate... but that's a firestorm for another thread) and that the Father created this second / last prototype human being (Hebrews 10:5) making God the Word the Son at that point (Hebrews 1:5) and him (the Father) a Father at that point. Until then neither was the case. Hence the language in the verse "I WILL BE... a Father to him"  and "HE  SHALL BE... a Son to me"

Also... the Holy Spirit also played a role in the incarnation of God the Word as the one who played the holy embryo in the womb of the virgin surrogate Mary.

The Bible text merely states that holy thing is "OF the Holy Spirit" not meaning the Holy Spirit created this embryo.  

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  50
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Birthday:  08/01/1917

On 5/23/2019 at 9:31 AM, JohnD said:

Also... the Holy Spirit also played a role in the incarnation of God the Word as the one who played the holy embryo in the womb of the virgin surrogate Mary.

The Bible text merely states that holy thing is "OF the Holy Spirit" not meaning the Holy Spirit created this embryo.  

Scripture states that Jesus was 'conceived' in Mary, not placed there as an embryo. I believe Scripture. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  237
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  6,773
  • Content Per Day:  3.24
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/23/1954

On ‎5‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 10:08 AM, LeeGreenForest said:

Hi LeeGreenForest. Christiology is the study of such things as the pre-existence, humanity, and exaltation of Christ. There are many charts and resources that show how the Gospels emphasise different aspects related to Christ. This one below is simple to follow so I hope it is of some help to you. 

Chart Source

image.png.4db46d85e008579cd753afe41deadeb7.png

7 hours ago, Aimiel said:

Scripture states that Jesus was 'conceived' in Mary, not placed there as an embryo. I believe Scripture. 

A valid point. However, is the Greek indicating that the conception involved Mary? Or rather defined as "that holy conceived thing in your womb is of...?"

Furthermore, it does not say that it is of you (Mary) and the Holy Spirit but only of the Holy Spirit.

Your interpretation reads is as though the passage says the former rather than the latter.

Hebrews 10:5 (AV)
5 Wherefore when he cometh into the world, he saith, Sacrifice and offering thou wouldest not, but a body hast thou prepared me:

It doesn't say a body you and Mary have prepared me.

1 Corinthians 15:45–48 (AV)
45 And so it is written, The first man Adam was made a living soul; the last Adam was made a quickening spirit.
46 Howbeit that was not first which is spiritual, but that which is natural; and afterward that which is spiritual.
47 The first man is of the earth, earthy: the second man is the Lord from heaven.
48 As is the earthy, such are they also that are earthy: and as is the heavenly, such are they also that are heavenly.

First of all Adam is the prototype human (from Earth).

The Second / Last Adam is the prototype human (from Heaven).

The evidence exists in scripture that Jesus Christ is human but not from the actual line of Adam (where he would have

inherited a sin nature if he had been). Rather, he is the second prototype human being Adam was in Genesis.

Think about it. Why would God not have simply made his body from the dust in the same way Adam was? This would not establish the

link between the new human race (population = Jesus) and the old human race (population = all humanity), but rather to place the Holy

Embryo in the womb of the Virgin Mary for gestation and birth meets all the legal requirements of linking Jesus to the heirs of the first Adam 

without being an actual blood heir himself.

And this is the life he laid down for the heirs of the first Adam. Which he and the Father and the Holy Spirit raised  from the dead on the third day.

Edited by JohnD