The Survivor

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  29
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  236
  • Content Per Day:  0.13
  • Days Won:  0

My title implies that we assume the people we see are in fact homeless.

So you are driving home from work, school, the pizzeria and you see this human holding a sign about being homeless from a fire, job, a war veteran, etc. Looking for donations, money, etc. Ends it usually with "God bless." You are in your car, at the dreaded red lights that causes me to waste time, gain stress, and wear out my brakes....... <clears throat> back to topic.... You are in your vehicle and the homeless person in question is five feet from your window standing there holding said sign at the corner. They could easily turn their head to see you on your fancy, expensive Apple (I HATE APPLE) phone probably thinking two things: one, that person can afford that they could give me a buck, two, does that idiot know it is dangerous to drive with those bloody things they are so addicted to in their hands). So now what do you do? Ignore the person or give him/her something you have like a prayer, money, a bottle of water, or that $15 McDonald's meal you just bought?

What about when you see them the next day? All week? How about almost everyday for a year or two and they can easily recognize your face and car if they ever saw you elsewhere.

What do you do?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

1 hour ago, The Survivor said:

My title implies that we assume the people we see are in fact homeless.

So you are driving home from work, school, the pizzeria and you see this human holding a sign about being homeless from a fire, job, a war veteran, etc. Looking for donations, money, etc. Ends it usually with "God bless." You are in your car, at the dreaded red lights that causes me to waste time, gain stress, and wear out my brakes....... <clears throat> back to topic.... You are in your vehicle and the homeless person in question is five feet from your window standing there holding said sign at the corner. They could easily turn their head to see you on your fancy, expensive Apple (I HATE APPLE) phone probably thinking two things: one, that person can afford that they could give me a buck, two, does that idiot know it is dangerous to drive with those bloody things they are so addicted to in their hands). So now what do you do? Ignore the person or give him/her something you have like a prayer, money, a bottle of water, or that $15 McDonald's meal you just bought?

What about when you see them the next day? All week? How about almost everyday for a year or two and they can easily recognize your face and car if they ever saw you elsewhere.

What do you do?

First of all I do not have an expensive Apple. The homeless shelters tell us never ever to give them money. They suggest putting together a small baggie of practical usable items such as a bottle of water, a candy bar, soap, shampoo etc. If these people are genuinely in need there is help for them if they seek it. We don't need to give them anything. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  839
  • Content Per Day:  0.45

you do have some good points here,  I've seen homeless people with those signs asking for money,  the problem is I don't want to give them any because then they will use it for alchol or drugs,  I know that some people say well why does it matter what they do with the money but I agree that the homeless shelter is probably the best place to help out, some of the people who have signs sit there all day with that sign but then their car is parked in a undisclosed location,  another thing I've thought is giving them some food or water

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

4 minutes ago, shortangel said:

you do have some good points here,  I've seen homeless people with those signs asking for money,  the problem is I don't want to give them any because then they will use it for alchol or drugs,  I know that some people say well why does it matter what they do with the money but I agree that the homeless shelter is probably the best place to help out, some of the people who have signs sit there all day with that sign but then their car is parked in a undisclosed location,  another thing I've thought is giving them some food or water

There was a lady with a sign asking for food because she said she was hungry. This was in front of a couple of stores and a deli. I told the woman that I would take here inside and get her a sandwich and chips. She said " honey I don't want the food I want the money". 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Oy Vey! 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  29
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  236
  • Content Per Day:  0.13

Indeed.

I was curious how others handle these situations.

missmuffet, very nice on your phone comment. :)

Growing up in Boston, MA I gave people now and then money. Over the years I learned of homeless scams and such. Once a bust in Chicago that took five years I think to crackdown on some scammers. People begging for money all summer long and they go to their homes in Florida during the winters.

Now in Raleigh, NC, I see the same people all the time in the same areas. Many have to have something called a "pandhandling license" in order to ask for help without cops grabbing them each time (although I rarely see them paid police people doing anything anyway around here in such cases).

Over the years I would give someone an unopened bottle of water if I had it while hot outside, but I can not afford to give them a bottle every day. I barely can survive off Dollar Tree myself.

Despite my self defense training, I am not going to ask a guy into my car and offer to take him to McDs either. But I have with some individuals in the past under certain circumstances.

Many times people have come up right into my face asking for something. I am usually in defend mode because a few have been, over the years, confrontational. One took out a knife. Another followed me. Each situation I had to deal with it my way, but you never know someone may have the upper hand one day.

Ah, and similar to missmuffet again, once in Nevada somewhere. I do not recall where. I was driving. A guy came up asking for some money and help because he not eaten in "days." All I had was food as i was traveling on a mission and gave him a bunch of spare snacks. He was not very grateful.

Am interested to see other people's thoughts/encounters on the subject.

Edited by The Survivor

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  940
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,412
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

Hi,

Panhandlers and homeless are not the same individuals. I do not submit to the grift of the con artists. I don't have to look away. I can look right at them and my expression alone turns them down.

I never give cash to anyone presenting that "emergency " need  for a gallon of Gas or whatever their scam is. I don't even listen to the whole spiel if it is started on me. I say No; and continue on my way. If confronted further, I say  go seek out Everybody's Tabernacle they are equipped to help with needs. I give directly to them. And that is that, nothing further.

On the other hand; I have carried water for myself, then seen a couple on bicycles in the heat suffering, a  rather fat lady  in real heat distress. I have stopped my car turned around gone back and scared heck out of them by speaking offering them cool water and  assistance if they need to get to where it is cool and safe from the heat. The man hesitantly took the water found it had not been opened sampled it and gave it to  the lady with him and said thanks.

I have seen former subcontractor construction workers  I had used, stopped to say hello, seeing their distress asked how they were doing, found they had nothing , no food for their child even. I prayed with them, said I was so sorry, asked if they still lived at the same place, an apartment in the woods.  Then have driven 40 miles to go get my own money,, gone shopping for water, food, diapers, milk, even  packet of cigarettes, and a couple  beers, and small amount of cash for gas. Driven back to their apartment and gave them the packages with a simple here, sorry I have to rush off. May God provide work very soon. Then driven another 40 miles home for the evening satisfied God had wanted it that way.

I have given to ministries that help the desperately poor  many  who just cannot make it without some help of laborers to make handicap walkways or repair roofs or whatever the structural need might be. I have been led to do so thinking in terms of a small amount of money only to find my wife's idea of a small amout is ten times my own thinking, and so I just had her write a check without my knowing the amount at the time. I later learned yep it was ten times my own thought and lead. And yes it was the exact amont needed right then by the ministry to the penny. The Holy Spirit had led my wife accordingly.

Normally  I wouldn't share of any of the above, but  for the sake of mutual conversation and the seeking of what might be common reaction I share.

Much of America is a couple days away from being homeless. One more failure, one more bad day where there is no work, will put many  on the streets, homeless. Can't help them all; but just must listen to the Holy Spirit and follow His lead regardless of  rules or good sense.

Many others in trouble just sit at  a parent's house for years on end, never launching at all. So sad they don't ever try, they just sit and lament about life, as they are so beat down  they no longer have energy to get about the business of life.

I guess I do as led to do, without much rhyme or reason  that is known to me. I just do as led at the time.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Loved it! 1

• Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.94
  • Days Won:  3

3 hours ago, The Survivor said:

(I HATE APPLE)

You hate Apple! Well we can't be friends! :o

Edited by LadyKay
  • Haha 2

• Followers:  32
  • Topic Count:  471
  • Topics Per Day:  0.17
  • Content Count:  6,541
  • Content Per Day:  2.30
  • Days Won:  9

Some people are on drugs. They use the money for drugs. I think alcohol and drugs are the main reason many are homeless. And some are mentally I'll. I do give money sometimes but probably it does little good. God loves a cheerful giver. I think housing is very expensive now. The best thing is to own your house. This year I will try to buy a house. 

• Loved it! 1

• Group:  Non-Trinitarian
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  842
  • Content Per Day:  0.47

I do it the OLD FASHIONED WAY!!

If I see someone in the scenario the (Thread Op) is discussing, the Holy Spirit quickens in me and I get this sudden urge that I need to help them.   The odd thing is, I mostly see them and feel the Holy Spirit tugging at me to help just after going through a fast food drive-thru.   And so far, each time that I have been able to pass some cash and a few tacos/burgers while telling that individual, that Yeshua loves them and is wanting to help them.   You can see tears well up or their countenance change to a more positive expression.   I have been able to pray with a few and take them to get a proper meal + witnessed them rededicate their lives to God.   What is shocking to me, many homeless actually believe in God.   

But what always crosses my mind as I depart from that person, did I just entertain God, or an Angel of God?

And that alone makes me cherish being able to understand the Holy Spirit, when I am directed to help someone!!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1
  • Praise God! 1

• Followers:  38
  • Topic Count:  365
  • Topics Per Day:  0.17
  • Content Count:  8,700
  • Content Per Day:  3.97
  • Days Won:  64

I try to have food bars in my car.  Have given diff things at diff times. People do need bus fare and other things sometimes.  I do whatever I feel led to do. Even if I have been taken I did it for the lord. It's best, if possible to say I am a Christian and do u need prayer too. Sometimes u can just pray for people I did that before as I was walking had no purse with me. I used to not say much but it's a opportunity to share. Hard to do at a light though. People have taken food from me at a light...time enough to say gbu.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Brilliant! 1