• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  593
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  55,872
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

4 hours ago, The Survivor said:

My title implies that we assume the people we see are in fact homeless.

So you are driving home from work, school, the pizzeria and you see this human holding a sign about being homeless from a fire, job, a war veteran, etc. Looking for donations, money, etc. Ends it usually with "God bless." You are in your car, at the dreaded red lights that causes me to waste time, gain stress, and wear out my brakes....... <clears throat> back to topic.... You are in your vehicle and the homeless person in question is five feet from your window standing there holding said sign at the corner. They could easily turn their head to see you on your fancy, expensive Apple (I HATE APPLE) phone probably thinking two things: one, that person can afford that they could give me a buck, two, does that idiot know it is dangerous to drive with those bloody things they are so addicted to in their hands). So now what do you do? Ignore the person or give him/her something you have like a prayer, money, a bottle of water, or that $15 McDonald's meal you just bought?

What about when you see them the next day? All week? How about almost everyday for a year or two and they can easily recognize your face and car if they ever saw you elsewhere.

What do you do?

when I worked for our local TV station back in the early 70's we did a story on those people....   Turned out that were doing that panhandling as a full time job....   stand out with your hand out and back in the early 70's were taking in 30 to 40 thousand dollars a year...

So I developed my own ideas of who was homeless and who was really just panhandling....   if a person is standing out there every day they do not want to be uncomfortable so they wear very comfortable shoes that are expensive...   homeless people can't afford new shoes and you can tell the difference....   that is my first check.   Like someone else has mentioned I've offered them food and if they don't take it I just pass them up..  It's easy for me to do because I seldom carry any cash on me at all except for going to church      and we take up collections for all kinds of emergency things.

After I ended my career in the TV business and went to work for Xerox, I often found myself in the parts of town where real homeless people live and hang out...   I've met some very nice people and a few that were definitely mentally challenged...   even met a neurosurgeon one might that was living on the street just helping the people who were there....   long story...   I let him buy my breakfast half the time when we met early.    I would say that way over half the people I met were on the streets because that was what they wanted....   complete freedom.  Doesn't mean that don't need our help at times and I would suggest to give to them freely....   I even met a few that had jobs but didn't want to deal with having a home so as they would put it, they were on a permeant camping trip.     When  homeless person not on a corner with signs comes up to me an asks for something I try my best to always help them.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Loved it! 1

• Group:  Seventh Day Adventist
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,786
  • Content Per Day:  0.33
  • Days Won:  0

6 hours ago, The Survivor said:

So you are driving home from work, school, the pizzeria and you see this human holding a sign about being homeless from a fire, job, a war veteran, etc. Looking for donations, money, etc. Ends it usually with "God bless." You are in your car, at the dreaded red lights that causes me to waste time, gain stress, and wear out my brakes....... <clears throat> back to topic.... You are in your vehicle and the homeless person in question is five feet from your window standing there holding said sign at the corner. They could easily turn their head to see you on your fancy, expensive Apple (I HATE APPLE) phone probably thinking two things: one, that person can afford that they could give me a buck, two, does that idiot know it is dangerous to drive with those bloody things they are so addicted to in their hands). So now what do you do? Ignore the person or give him/her something you have like a prayer, money, a bottle of water, or that $15 McDonald's meal you just bought?

What about when you see them the next day? All week? How about almost everyday for a year or two and they can easily recognize your face and car if they ever saw you elsewhere.

What do you do?

Give him or her some food, and the answer will show itself as those truly in need will appreciate it in way that reveals it.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Brilliant! 1

• Followers:  32
  • Topic Count:  471
  • Topics Per Day:  0.17
  • Content Count:  6,542
  • Content Per Day:  2.30
  • Days Won:  9

Also I think we need to really show Gods love to the homeless no matter why they are homeless. Buy them new shoes at times. I cannot afford to do that often. But look and see if there foot ware is ok. I know what it feels like to have holes in my shoes. When I was 12 about I always had to put card board in my shoes lol. Even other years too. We were not really poor. I think gambling was a factor in our house. So we went hungry and shoeless lol. I cut the bottom of my feet many times. I only had one pair of pants at that time. But it taught me not to look down on the poorer ones. 

• Brilliant! 1
  • Praise God! 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  29
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  236
  • Content Per Day:  0.13

19 hours ago, Neighbor said:

Much of America is a couple days away from being homeless. One more failure, one more bad day where there is no work, will put many  on the streets, homeless.

Due to my 2011 layoff, I almost was as well. I lost everything. Not just money, but my 800+ credit, personal/sentimental possessions (I do not go buying things, but things I had for decades), vehicle, friends, family, reputation... everything. A country where many fill their bellies and toss out food, there are people especially children and pets starving. During my layoff I was hungry. Barely eating. Lost 40 pounds on the "laid off diet" plan.

19 hours ago, LadyKay said:

You hate Apple! Well we can't be friends! :o

I hated them before working for them for a year, and even more so after the fact.

:th_frusty:

Everyone has some really good responses here.

I am still playing catch up myself and do at times wish I could assist the less fortunate than I but the way I live is knowing I may not have a job tomorrow. I want a home again. I want to get to a certain country I need to go to. I want to eat better tasting foods than Dollar Tree. But I am always trying to pinch pennies so I have at least a week or so of reserves in hopes that if I lost me job, God would give me a better one within a week (because that is all I still can muster for savings) than having me wait three years like the last time.

Maybe making up some business card size, er, cards with a line from scripture and addresses to local shelters be good to have in car and pass out when needed.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1

• Followers:  38
  • Topic Count:  365
  • Topics Per Day:  0.17
  • Content Count:  8,700
  • Content Per Day:  3.97
  • Days Won:  64

Jesus said to give. He did not say what or how much. We give according to need and our ability. But spiritual need is the most important. Great idea survivor.  Praying for u right now about what u shared. Gbu

• This is Worthy 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Content Count:  6,726
  • Content Per Day:  2.92
  • Days Won:  5

Bible also says “ if you don’t work,you don’t eat....”

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Content Count:  6,726
  • Content Per Day:  2.92
  • Days Won:  5

A local guy here worked at a good paying plant.....went outside during his lunch hour and held up a sign saying “ please help”...... he never came back from his lunch break....

every bum in our area will take canned goods, blankets ,etc to the other side of town where they trade them for drugs....

used to worry about these pitiful souls during the winter ......they all gather together at a place just outside town and I considered taking them  coats and blankets to help them stay warm. Then I found out they had several large gas  run generators hooked up to big heaters , snug as a bug in a rug as they enjoyed their heroin highs.....

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  679
  • Topics Per Day:  0.37
  • Content Count:  1,327
  • Content Per Day:  0.72

On 5/21/2019 at 12:32 PM, The Survivor said:

What do you do?

I try to never pass by. I go as the Lord leads me. Sometimes I have little care bags in my car to give them. Sometimes I give them a gift card for five dollars to a Burger King or McDonalds. Sometimes I have parked my car and gotten out and talked with them. I have had some wonderful experiences doing that.  I walked by one in a park and he was doing a terrible job of playing a trumpet. I stopped and talked with him and left a gift card. As I went to leave he thanked me.... not for the card but he said, "thank you for taking the time to talk with me and treat me like a human being."  Last week, I saw a man and I asked him what he needed. He told me he was hungry. I parked and walked with him to a restaurant and bought him a meal. I have given money before, just like the car bags I keep in my car, I also keep five dollar bills in my glovebox. I know some are alcoholics and some are grifters, but I let the Lord lead me. I don't try to be an enabler but also don't want to be too harsh in my judgement. If love leads me, I believe I am pleasing the Lord.  If I see them numerous times.... so?  You aren't homeless one day and not homeless the next... not how it usually works. I have talked with homeless that have been on the streets for years. Sometimes its due to mental illnesses, addictions, choice and sometimes by hard circumstances. I also keep in mind that I may be entertaining an angel unawares.

Edited by Tigger56
Added more words