IGNORED

I think my church may be dying. What can I do?

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  16
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

When I look around I see more and more empty pews. Only select Sundays are they filled. The majority of the buzz from the elders is "how do we attract/keep the younger generation here?"

We are a Bible rooted church, but, I do think we lean more to head knowledge vs. truly getting to the heart and allowing the Holy Spirit to flow freely and unhindered. 

All that said, do any scriptures come to mind that I can pray? Or take back to the elders when they ask me my thoughts/ideas?

God Bless

• Praying! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  940
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,412
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

13 minutes ago, Cool of the Day said:

When I look around I see more and more empty pews. Only select Sundays are they filled. The majority of the buzz from the elders is "how do we attract/keep the younger generation here?"

We are a Bible rooted church, but, I do think we lean more to head knowledge vs. truly getting to the heart and allowing the Holy Spirit to flow freely and unhindered. 

All that said, do any scriptures come to mind that I can pray? Or take back to the elders when they ask me my thoughts/ideas?

God Bless

Hi, Growth is  a poor secondary measure of effectiveness of the testimony of the members more than is the styling  of an elder from a pulpit.

If growth is the goal then has not that become the idol  that is being worshipped, perhaps even over God? 

Growth in numbers is secondary to quality of worship and obedience to God's will. In fact God winnow's out those not to be used of Him so that all that is then done in his name is shown to be impossible except by His will. God is to receive the Glory, and  God alone. If elders and or members are measuring God by their own success and ability to attract attendees then they will fail in their effort to worship God in all that they do.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • This is Worthy 1
  • Praise God! 1

@Sonshine☀️ we do a lot of that! My pastor is a great teacher in that regard. It is the thing that draws people in for awhile. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Praise God! 1

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  238
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  6,776
  • Content Per Day:  3.24
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/23/1954

25 minutes ago, Cool of the Day said:

God Bless

Hi Cool of the Day. As long as you are in regular fellowship with one or two other genuine Christians with whom you can search the Scriptures, you are not in a dying ekklesia. God is not confined to pulpits and pews, all followers of Christ are ministers of the Gospel. 

1Pe 4:9-11
(9)  Use hospitality one to another without grudging.
(10)  As every man has received the gift, even so minister the same one to another, as good stewards of the manifold grace of God.
(11)  If any man speak, let him speak as the oracles of God; if any man minister, let him do it as of the ability which God gives: that God in all things may be glorified through Jesus Christ, to whom be praise and dominion for ever and ever. Amen.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1
  • Thanks 1

@nzkev I agree. I don't think our focus should be on the numbers. Though, the numbers are important as they do keep the doors open. The numbers make up the hands and feet to reach the greater community and serve in various capacities. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • This is Worthy 1

35 minutes ago, Neighbor said:

Hi, Growth is  a poor secondary measure of effectiveness of the testimony of the members more than is the styling  of an elder from a pulpit.

If growth is the goal then has not that become the idol  that is being worshipped, perhaps even over God? 

Growth in numbers is secondary to quality of worship and obedience to God's will. In fact God winnow's out those not to be used of Him so that all that is then done in his name is shown to be impossible except by His will. God is to receive the Glory, and  God alone. If elders and or members are measuring God by their own success and ability to attract attendees then they will fail in their effort to worship God in all that they do.

@Neighbor Growth, in and of itself, is not the goal. If anything, the elders are feeling quite...eld? (If that is even a word.) I think there are too few to pick up the slack. Overall, the church is aging with too few to fill in.

The older saints are going home, seemingly rapidly or finding themselves more and more homebound. The newly retired are manifesting life threatening illnesses. The next generation, parents of teens, have left in droves, either moving out of state or looking for places with more activities for their kids. The parents with younger kids are pitching in wherever we can, when we can (that's my demographic, at least). The newlyweds church hop and the singles do as well. I'm oversimplifying, but I hope you get the gist. 

No, it is not about the numbers, in and of themselves. It is wanting desperately to be about our Father's business.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Praise God! 1

4 minutes ago, Betha said:

You are asking for a miracle friend, but you are not going to like it when offered.

I would first ask yourself and also the church if you are obedient to GOD's instructions ? or are your assemblies based on HUMAN traditions which this world is following ? Because what is NOT of GOD will not survive. Are you reading and studying scriptures that WARN of deception  that leads to destruction ?

The heart of the matter is that the ROOTS/foundation supports Us and moving away from them is like a flower cut off....it CAN NOT SURVIVE. ALL churches who have left the CREATOR's FOUNDATION will meet their END when the LORD FROM HEAVEN returns.

Correction and admonition to CHANGE is sounded now by a loving caring GOD who does not want anyone to perish. People are free to accept or reject ! Many scriptures apply.

@Betha God has yet to provide me with a miracle that I did not like. ? But, yes, I get what you are saying and agree. 

Ugh, I don't think I worded my OP very well. We are a bible based church so stepping out of His will is never the goal nor intent. No decisions are made without prayer, etc....

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1
  • Praise God! 1

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  238
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  6,776
  • Content Per Day:  3.24
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/23/1954

23 minutes ago, Cool of the Day said:

@nzkev I agree. I don't think our focus should be on the numbers. Though, the numbers are important as they do keep the doors open. The numbers make up the hands and feet to reach the greater community and serve in various capacities. 

You have named the problem, there Cool of the Day, "keeping the doors open". Having been the treasurer of a "remnant church" such as you describe I am familiar with the institutional denominational dilemma of maintaining a building and property when the congregation is down in numbers. At 55 years I was the youngest person in the assembly with a couple of regulars being around 90 years. Fortunately the building and large land area were suitable for hire and the income from their regular weekly lease paid the bills and balanced the books. 

The Lord has moved me on to simple in-house fellowshipping now and none of the property maintenance issues arise.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • This is Worthy 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Praise God! 1

8 minutes ago, Betha said:

Friend if you are serious about the last sentence in your post it would mean a 'change and sacrifice many are afraid to make, because it requires turning from the world....and TURNING TO THE LORD FROM HEAVEN.    

You've lost me and I am desperately, sincerely trying to follow. How have we turned to the world when our desire is to seek and save, care for the widows and orphans, visit the shut ins...

• This is Worthy 1

5 minutes ago, Michael37 said:

You have named the problem, there Cool of the Day, "keeping the doors open". Having been the treasurer of a "remnant church" such as you describe I am familiar with the institutional denominational dilemma of maintaining a building and property when the congregation is down in numbers. At 55 years I was the youngest person in the assembly with a couple of regulars being around 90 years. Fortunately the building and large land area were suitable for hire and the income from their regular weekly lease paid the bills and balanced the books. 

The Lord has moved me on to simple in-house fellowshipping now and none of the property maintenance issues arise.

Yes @Michael37 you get part of the dilemma. The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few.

• This is Worthy 1