Sign in to follow this  
Cool of the Day

I think my church may be dying. What can I do?

When I look around I see more and more empty pews. Only select Sundays are they filled. The majority of the buzz from the elders is "how do we attract/keep the younger generation here?"

We are a Bible rooted church, but, I do think we lean more to head knowledge vs. truly getting to the heart and allowing the Holy Spirit to flow freely and unhindered. 

All that said, do any scriptures come to mind that I can pray? Or take back to the elders when they ask me my thoughts/ideas?

God Bless

• Praying for You! 1

Can i ask how many from an estimate count? because it doesn't matter about the amount its about who believes if you have people there you are doing ok:t2:

• Loved it! 1

13 minutes ago, Cool of the Day said:

When I look around I see more and more empty pews. Only select Sundays are they filled. The majority of the buzz from the elders is "how do we attract/keep the younger generation here?"

We are a Bible rooted church, but, I do think we lean more to head knowledge vs. truly getting to the heart and allowing the Holy Spirit to flow freely and unhindered. 

All that said, do any scriptures come to mind that I can pray? Or take back to the elders when they ask me my thoughts/ideas?

God Bless

Hi, Growth is  a poor secondary measure of effectiveness of the testimony of the members more than is the styling  of an elder from a pulpit.

If growth is the goal then has not that become the idol  that is being worshipped, perhaps even over God? 

Growth in numbers is secondary to quality of worship and obedience to God's will. In fact God winnow's out those not to be used of Him so that all that is then done in his name is shown to be impossible except by His will. God is to receive the Glory, and  God alone. If elders and or members are measuring God by their own success and ability to attract attendees then they will fail in their effort to worship God in all that they do.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • This is Worthy 2
  • Praise God! 1

@Sonshine☀️ we do a lot of that! My pastor is a great teacher in that regard. It is the thing that draws people in for awhile. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1
  • Praise God! 1

25 minutes ago, Cool of the Day said:

God Bless

Hi Cool of the Day. As long as you are in regular fellowship with one or two other genuine Christians with whom you can search the Scriptures, you are not in a dying ekklesia. God is not confined to pulpits and pews, all followers of Christ are ministers of the Gospel. 

1Pe 4:9-11
(9)  Use hospitality one to another without grudging.
(10)  As every man has received the gift, even so minister the same one to another, as good stewards of the manifold grace of God.
(11)  If any man speak, let him speak as the oracles of God; if any man minister, let him do it as of the ability which God gives: that God in all things may be glorified through Jesus Christ, to whom be praise and dominion for ever and ever. Amen.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1
  • Thanks 1

@nzkev I agree. I don't think our focus should be on the numbers. Though, the numbers are important as they do keep the doors open. The numbers make up the hands and feet to reach the greater community and serve in various capacities. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • This is Worthy 1

45 minutes ago, Cool of the Day said:

God Bless

You are asking for a miracle friend, but you are not going to like it when offered.

I would first ask yourself and also the church if you are obedient to GOD's instructions ? or are your assemblies based on HUMAN traditions which this world is following ? Because what is NOT of GOD will not survive. Are you reading and studying scriptures that WARN of deception  that leads to destruction ?

The heart of the matter is that the ROOTS/foundation supports Us and moving away from them is like a flower cut off....it CAN NOT SURVIVE. ALL churches who have left the CREATOR's FOUNDATION will meet their END when the LORD FROM HEAVEN returns.

Correction and admonition to CHANGE is sounded now by a loving caring GOD who does not want anyone to perish. People are free to accept or reject ! Many scriptures apply.

35 minutes ago, Neighbor said:

Hi, Growth is  a poor secondary measure of effectiveness of the testimony of the members more than is the styling  of an elder from a pulpit.

If growth is the goal then has not that become the idol  that is being worshipped, perhaps even over God? 

Growth in numbers is secondary to quality of worship and obedience to God's will. In fact God winnow's out those not to be used of Him so that all that is then done in his name is shown to be impossible except by His will. God is to receive the Glory, and  God alone. If elders and or members are measuring God by their own success and ability to attract attendees then they will fail in their effort to worship God in all that they do.

@Neighbor Growth, in and of itself, is not the goal. If anything, the elders are feeling quite...eld? (If that is even a word.) I think there are too few to pick up the slack. Overall, the church is aging with too few to fill in.

The older saints are going home, seemingly rapidly or finding themselves more and more homebound. The newly retired are manifesting life threatening illnesses. The next generation, parents of teens, have left in droves, either moving out of state or looking for places with more activities for their kids. The parents with younger kids are pitching in wherever we can, when we can (that's my demographic, at least). The newlyweds church hop and the singles do as well. I'm oversimplifying, but I hope you get the gist. 

No, it is not about the numbers, in and of themselves. It is wanting desperately to be about our Father's business.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Praise God! 1

4 minutes ago, Cool of the Day said:

@Neighbor Growth, in and of itself, is not the goal. If anything, the elders are feeling quite...eld? (If that is even a word.) I think there are too few to pick up the slack. Overall, the church is aging with too few to fill in.

The older saints are going home, seemingly rapidly or finding themselves more and more homebound. The newly retired are manifesting life threatening illnesses. The next generation, parents of teens, have left in droves, either moving out of state or looking for places with more activities for their kids. The parents with younger kids are pitching in wherever we can, when we can (that's my demographic, at least). The newlyweds church hop and the singles do as well. I'm oversimplifying, but I hope you get the gist. 

No, it is not about the numbers, in and of themselves. It is wanting desperately to be about our Father's business.

Friend if you are serious about the last sentence in your post it would mean a 'change and sacrifice many are afraid to make, because it requires turning from the world....and TURNING TO THE LORD FROM HEAVEN.    

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Jonathan BeWell
      Free September 21st Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada unifying prayer meeting on Citadel Hill, please pray on and spread the word!
      https://www.facebook.com/plugins/post.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Frevivalhour.ca%2Fposts%2F1100110553477672&width=500&__xts__[0]=68.ARAdfOTYXZ0I-tPfA-2RuxVZ7Obtv3NUejlZQwdKSgnpYPbWRwRXgPOLdT0XXtw6vt2HqodOEqqJ-O-b-t-Ghy0J6BD-640rmrE1tEDCB29qVPaGqEirsAIV3ue7i3U3ZNE9b4CETAn3&__tn__=-UK-R-R-R
      Free September 21st Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada unifying prayer meeting on Citadel Hill, please pray on and spread the word!
    • By jlesso88
      Just thought I’d start a topic on a subject that should be asked in modern day churches.

who believes in revival?

I for one believe that if your church is Holy Spirit filled and lead by the lord, revival can happen.

But the hunger has to be strongly wanted, prayer isn’t strongly encouraged and backed up also.

I just feel like we should be wanting a fresh move of GOD, and it can come spontaneously through the move of the Holy Ghost.

what better way than through revival?
    • By Jonathan BeWell
      Dear Lord, in Jesus Christ's name I pray.   Welcome Holy Spirit, embody this nation, government and military. God bless Donald Trump, keep him protected, helped and leading your nation strong and free. God bless Justin Trudeau, bend his will to yours, humble him and teach him what he needs to know of You. Thank you Lord for the peace talks in Korea! This is an appreciated answer to so many pleading prayers! We pray for the same peace and understanding in Cameroon, please have mercy and save its people. Please forgive us of all our sins. Especially excuse evil where we oppose, mock and vilify You. Please Lord, we know not what we do. Bless and revive us Lord, thy kingdom come. Put us through the painful process of cleansing this world, nation, generation and church of backsliding, sleepiness, enemies within, blasphemy, watering down of God's truth, word and law. Prune and throw such chaff into the lake of fire. Have us accept and cherish your free gift of salvation and eternal life immediately through your Son's sacrifice in place of our sin debt. May we all pray for this in our life now! Heal, restore and revive your body of Christ saved to do good works in the Lord. May we be light, salt and disciples to this desperate world. Hallelujah, he is risen, he is risen indeed!   I pray this sincerely for all lost, enemies and loved ones in Jesus Christ's name, amen!   GregoryB
    • By Jonathan BeWell
      Our Heavenly Father, whose Son is thee door to heaven, Holy Spirit lovingly teaching us meaning of your name.
      I continue to confess, apologize for, rebuke and repent from surfacing sin. May your revival usher in your kingdom according to your will with ours bent to it. May our leaders own up to their power and responsibilities by declaring and enabling your rule, reign and sovereignty. May they be careful and aware of their extreme influence. May we awake and arise to these times of spiritual crisis from which all other curses fester. May we acknowledge Jesus Christ as living water from whom all healing and restoration flows. Forgive us Lord for our distractions, false idols and sin in place of You. We are near rock bottom and have only You to save us. Have mercy on our souls. May You revive us and have us grow, ripe for harvest. Lest we forget the folly and fate of our past. We have You to thank and draw us near in times of desperation. I call upon your terms, cleanse the church to make Christ's body fit for the good Lord's fight, already won, rescue more lost souls. I dare cry "bloody murder" yet truth being told with our Saviour sacrificing himself. All who believe in him live eternally ever after.
      In Jesus Christ's pure perfect holy name I pray, amen.
      GregoryB
    • By Jonathan BeWell
      Dear Heavenly Father, in Jesus Christ's name I come and pray to you, led by the Holy Spirit.
      Thank you for drawing me nearer, closer to you, me going deeper with you.  You are a good, good Father, great at what you do and holy in who you are.  Please forgive me and help me repent from immoral thoughts, wrath, gluttony and distractions from you.  Help me forgive my resentments with this world and way of life we lead.  Remind me to focus on the lumber in my own eye and not the splinter in someone else's eye.  God bless, protect and save president Trump, prime minister Trudeau and all the leaders of this world.  Bend their will to yours and have them make the right decisions according to your will for us all.  Thank you for keeping the peace in Cameroon, may all concerned communicate and come to terms with everyone's needs instead of war (hell on Earth).  I pray against the enemy within and without in the name, blood and power of Jesus Christ, my Lord and my Saviour!  May there be a revival in North America for God's sovereignty, reign and rule over our land.  I pray for the people fighting for unborn children in the womb, thou shalt not murder.  I pray for the law makers of this country struggling with the legalization of marijuana, a false idol and distraction from you, God.  I pray for the people that speak out and act against the Son of God, your Holy Bible and truth that sets anyone free from sin.  May we all have our hearts softened and opened further to the light of Christ.  May your church be the salt of the world, not watered down or tasteless yet working strong.  May I continue to pray ceaselessly to have you hear and answer my prayers, as you already have and continue to do.  Praise God, thank you perfect lamb who was slain for us and welcome Holy Spirit into our lives, land and minds.
      In Jesus Christ's name I pray, hallelujah, amen!
      GregoryB