• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  27
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  302
  • Content Per Day:  0.17
  • Days Won:  1

9 hours ago, Darrell 48 said:

I am having trouble understanding the bible, I read it and next thing I find what  I forget what I just read.  is this what Jesus was talking abought in Matthew 13:3,

when abought the various types of soil ? And if so can one change ?

Hi Darrell...of course we can change. Change comes about in 2 ways...gradually and suddenly. Do you believe this? If you do then your attitude will facilitate that change much sooner. It's when we don't believe we can change that we have the hardest time acting differently.

Prayer helps too! :)

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  208
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  0

10 hours ago, Darrell 48 said:

I am having trouble understanding the bible, I read it and next thing I find what  I forget what I just read.  is this what Jesus was talking abought in Matthew 13:3,

It is impossible to understand the New Testament Scriptures in isolation from the Hebrew Scriptures/Old Testament. You have to study and see for yourself. Depending on secondhand interpretations from others is a sure way to your Satanic/Demonic manipulation, deception and discipleship that is fervently opposing the Word of Elohim.

Earnestly contend/compete for the faith that was once delivered to the Saints. 

Acts 17:11 Young's Literal Translation (YLT)

11 and these were more noble than those in Thessalonica, they received the word with all readiness of mind, every day examining the Writings whether those things were so;

Acts 17:11 King James Version (KJV)

11 These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were 

Edited by Elihoenai

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  40,782
  • Content Per Day:  7.95
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

11 hours ago, Darrell 48 said:

Darrel specifically it is a lack of understanding what is before you... it is the only way to get to know God by His design! As you take in the Bible you begin to piece together The Who of God and what He stands for... much of the time with new believers they don't understand that it is work and with work there are some area that don't appeal to the doing but God's Word tells us

1 Tim 4:8

8 For bodily exercise profiteth little: but godliness is profitable unto all things, having promise of the life that now is, and of that which is to come.
KJV

This is saying that physical advancement is a little profit due to this world passes away... but trying to be like God in you ways is both profitable now and in the new heaven and earth... now in order to advance in being like God in your ways you must understand Him through His Word by Spirit teachings... on your end hermeneutics- application of written material and on God's end The Holy Spirit directing the application of study to rightly dividing the Word...

2 Tim 3:15-17

15 And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.

16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

17 That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.
KJV

2 Tim 2:15

15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.
KJV

Satan does not wish you to enter this s/Spiritual greatness so he plies upon the flesh to keep you from it... if you believe what God promises you will see the need of intense study and application of God's Word both for life now and into the eternity....

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  87
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,795
  • Content Per Day:  1.36
  • Days Won:  3

13 hours ago, Darrell 48 said:

Ive not read all the responses, so maybe someone else has already given you the correct advice.

First.  .. Are you saved?   Born Again?   Received Christ?   The reason i ask, is, .. you need to.   But also, the bible is a Spiritual book.  Its not just a "read".  Its a book filled with God.  And to understand it, you are going to need 3 things.     1.) You have to be born again to understand it, as this book is closed to the natural mind, and is only revealed to the born again Spirit.   2nd.  You need a good New Testament Teacher.

3rd. Its the Holy Spirit who will open your spiritual eyes, not only to the word of God, but to the teaching of an anointed teacher.

Get those 3 things lined up, and you'll know more about the bible, and more of the bible, in a year, then many who are saved 20 - 30 yrs, and are still quite lost in the word.

Edited by Behold

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,280
  • Content Per Day:  1.25
  • Days Won:  2

Nobody fully understands everything the first time.  Just read it straight through a couple of times.  The more you read it, the more you will understand.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  24
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Content Count:  1,459
  • Content Per Day:  0.61
  • Days Won:  2

Most (well...all) Christians have struggled with understanding the Bible at times.  Here are a few of the most important things I've learned over the years.

1. The Bible consists of different types of literature that need to be read differently.  The gospels (Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John) and Acts are historical books.  There are a number of private and public letters (the books from Romans to Jude).  Psalms is a collections of songs/poems.  You cannot read a history book the same way you read a hymnbook or a personal letter.  You need to adapt how you are reading to the book you are reading.

2. Individual verses usually need to be understood in their context.   Now, there are times where the Holy Spirit might bring our attention to a specific verse in some way to speak to us for a given day or situation.  However, most of the time, we should be reading the Bible in paragraphs or sections rather than individual words or verses.  

3. Pick a version that you can easily understand and enjoy reading.  Various English translations having different reading levels.   My recommendation is to start with the books in the Bible which are historical, narrative, and devotional in nature.  Save the prophetic books and epistles for later.  The historical books set the context for the prophetic books and epistles.

4. There is simply too much in the Bible to take in all at once.  It is a task of a lifetime that is never ending.  If you read a few pages per day and only one thing remains in your memory, be content with that.   In a year, that's hundreds of things that you remember to some degree.  In a decade that thousands of things. Over a life time, that's many thousands of things.

5. Learn to use Bible dictionaries, Bible encyclopedias, atlases of maps, and other reference books that provide background information about the Bible.  These are references that provide facts and information about the history, geography, politics, economics, people, etc. of the world the Bible was set in.  In contrast, reference books called commentaries are written to give people's opinions of what the Bible means.  As fair warning, some commentaries are well-written and provide a good balanced exposition of what various passages mean.  Good commentators will make reference to places where various Christians disagree.  On the other hand, some commentaries are very opinionated and only give one view of things.

One helpful book (now in it's 4th edition) is "How to read the Bible for all it's worth" by Gordon Fee and Douglas Stuart.  I haven't read the 4th edition but I've still got my first edition from the early 1980s.  

• This is Worthy 1

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  46
  • Content Per Day:  0.03

what scriptures are you having trouble with? 

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  19
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Birthday:  10/11/1970

I want to thank you all for your replies, and helpfulness.

• Loved it! 1

• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,361
  • Content Per Day:  2.35
  • Birthday:  02/03/1953

On 5/23/2019 at 5:03 PM, Darrell 48 said:

I don't know if this will help, but I think a lot of Bible scholars don't understand the Bible, even while acting like they are experts. I think there is only one way to understand it: You have to do what the Lord instructs us to do. Simply reading about it isn't good enough.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

You are not alone. Take 10 different people in a room and give them a verse of the Bible to translate and interpret. You may get 10 different interpretations. Some correct and some no biblical. Sometimes is it good to get a really good bible study from a trusted theologian who is grounded in the true literal truth of the Bible.