Sign in to follow this  
ozrick33

How to develop friendships?

Part of the challenge in being a Pastor is loneliness. I am friends with many of the people in our church but there is and most likely always be some degree of separation between them and me. A recent survey found 78% of Pastors have no close friends. 

What I am not sure of is how to find and make new friends. 

I welcome any input.

Thanks very much

Rick

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1

If your schedule allows, have you thought of some type of volunteering outside of your church?   

Shalom @ozrick33

That's an interesting question.  I hadn't considered how one might be lonely in that position.

I hope the below advice gives you some ideas.

1. Your Mission

Yes, being a pastor may be lonely, but I'm sure all leaders of the flock have felt this way at one time or another.  I can believe that Moses felt lonely even though he was surrounded with many.  Even his brother and sister seemed to have some separation between them and him.  However, this lonely time is bonus time for you and Yahweh!  It is time that can be wholly devoted to study, prayer, and fellowship with the Lord through the Holy Spirit.  In a way, this separation is a blessing, to ensure you are refilled with wisdom and insight for the flock.  One day. all this hard work and endurance through loneliness will be recompensed.

2. Others in a similar situation

Are you able to have good fellowship with the rest of the staff at the church?  Or perhaps there are other pastors in churches nearby you could meet for fellowship?  Perhaps you could host a "Pastors Lunch" in your church for all the local pastors in your town and surrounding areas?  I'm sure you'll meet at least a handful that you see eye to eye with, and you can share your similar burdens.

3.  WCF!

I hope you make plenty of friends on here.  There are many wonderful people in this forum who are kind, caring and eager to fellowship with others.  On here, you are not a pastor, doctor, scientist or lawyer - you are simply a username and user image.  Take advantage of the anonymity and feel encouraged to share from the heart,  not as a pastoral leader but as a brother.  If you would ever like to chat or need to get somethings of your chest, you can always post in the forum or PM me directly.  I'm sure there are many others who would also be glad to fellowship with you in this way.  Yes, it's digital, but it can also be as fulfilling as face-to-face at times.

Love & Shalom

• Loved it! 2

1 hour ago, ozrick33 said:

Part of the challenge in being a Pastor is loneliness. I am friends with many of the people in our church but there is and most likely always be some degree of separation between them and me. A recent survey found 78% of Pastors have no close friends. 

I welcome any input.

Thanks very much

Rick

Spend time with congregants without doing ministry work per se. My pastor used to take me fishing with our kids. Fishing, camping, eating together, hanging out.

• Brilliant! 1

7 hours ago, ozrick33 said:

I welcome any input.

Thanks very much

Rick

We have a good family friend who's single and pastoring a pair of small churches.  We met him in a small group when we all attended the same church.  He had spent a few decades as a minister and burned out.  After we met him, he had spent some time away from full time ministry, had a chance to recover, and grow spiritually away from the demands of pastoral ministry.  He then started getting back into ministry in another denomination.

For a few years, he'd usually come to our house on Sunday nights (about an hour's drive) for supper, to hang out, and relax.  We got in the habit of watching a few episodes of some fun TV series.   After we moved (over 2 hours away), he decided to come on Sunday night, stay overnight, and then head back home on Monday.  We weren't sure how that would work, but it's been great for him.  It's like a mini vacation every week where he can get away with friends who have nothing to do with his churches, have a home cooked meal, and just relax.  We've become his confidants as he needs to vent at times or simply bounce ideas and situations off of us.

My sense is that one of the biggest things that benefits my friend is that our relationship is completely independent of his ministry.  He doesn't have any family in the state and often makes it to some of our family events.

This may sound dumb, but perhaps one idea is to set aside some time (even if it means dropping some current activity) to find a small home group (or prayer group or bible study) at some other church or ministry that doesn't know who you are to get to know those people completely independent of your current ministry work.  I'd see the goal as not to add more commitments but to replace something that is draining you right now with something that will build you up and make you better able to minister.  Just a thought.

Those are great ideas, thank you so much. What you are doing for your friend is absolutely priceless. What a great gift you are giving him. I am sure this giving brings a great smile to God. Impressive 

9 hours ago, Billiards Ball said:

Spend time with congregants without doing ministry work per se. My pastor used to take me fishing with our kids. Fishing, camping, eating together, hanging out.

Great idea. I will definitely try that. 

12 minutes ago, ozrick33 said:

Those are great ideas, thank you so much. What you are doing for your friend is absolutely priceless. What a great gift you are giving him. I am sure this giving brings a great smile to God. Impressive 

He's been bringing every bit as much encouragement to a few particular members of our family who need it.  :) 

11 hours ago, Debp said:

If your schedule allows, have you thought of some type of volunteering outside of your church?   

Excellent idea. I am actually scheduled to start some outside volunteering soon. See what happens 

• Thumbs Up 1

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Babygal
      My boyfriend and his ex are in the same class. They're best of friends because theyp apparently realized that they're better off as friends than anything else.
      A few months back I found messages on his phone between them, she was feeling upset so he tried cheering her up and even went as far as to call her baby 😔... Since then we have broken up nonstop and she was the cause of it. The fact that he didn't want to cut her out of his life keeps causing us to break up. He says they're just friends and he keeps making excuses for their friendship. 
      I feel like she holds a higher level of importance in his life and that hurts me.
      He comes from a broken home and because of that whenever we break up he uses that as an excuse to guilt trip me by making me take him back. 
      Our relationship has reached the point where we reply with just one word. 
      I am so tired of hurting and worrying about his loyalty towards me. It's painful to go to bed every night wondering what he has been up to behind my back seeing as we're in a long distance relationship. 
      Before she came into the picture I trusted him with my whole life. Now I can't say the same. 

I want to observe a spiritual fast for him and for him to have a change of heart and also for him to become a Godly Christian man, as well as for our future together. But I don't want to do it if it's all gonna be in vain later down the line. 

i am so confused. I really need someone to give me clearance from a Christian view. 
      Please help me 

• By Sunflower86
      Hi everyone. This past weekend following into the week ive been dealing with a lot. My boyfriend and I are both believers and followers of Christ. He struggles with addiction, which I have been praying about and seeing God work in his life. He has been doing very well as far as drugs up until this weekend. He has a friend who does not believe in God and openly denounces God. This friend is always supplying him with drugs and bad advice. Everytime they hang out my boyfriend will back peddle so much in life and in his walk with God. This friend has such a dark presence that he will tend to sway my boyfriends belifs a little bit. This weekend he has been on drugs to another degree that ive never seen before. I have been fasting and praying for him constantly to combat this. Today my employer let me know that I wouldnt have to come in out of the blue, which i was relived by. As i was praying i kept getting distracted and my prayers would just stop. This happened about 2 or 3 times when suddenly I got up and walked toward the dresser that he rested his phone on. Before i knew it I picked up his phone and saw that he had gps open to an address very far into the city. I looked to see the last app he had open and turns out he had made arrangements with a prostitute and have since found out that he had met with one yesterday. Ive been fasting and praying for him as well as our relationship. I believe that God wanted me to see what i saw today. What do i do??
    • By ozrick33
      Earlier this week I posted about the need for friendships. This morning I arrived at church to find an anonymous note on my seat. It read:
      Dear Rick
      You have been such a great influence and supporter for my family and although some may not understand the sacrifices and efforts you have gone through to manifest riches in us, I want to thank you so very much for choosing to sew seed into places uncomfortable and sacrificial.
      it is because of people like yourself that I can see a glimpse of Jesus and learn to continue the ripple that comes from God. 
      Sincerely from your friend not too far away.
      I am speechless. 

• By PurpleOrchid
      Hi! I wanted to share this sermon by Pastor Nick Nilson called "A Message From The Future You". It is about having Biblically inspired relationships, and not compromising the vision God has put in you. It was a real eye opener for me, and I'm hoping to will help someone today. God bless!!
    • By Gary7
      I am new but I need to find someone to talk to. I hope I don't overshare. My son and his girlfriend live with me. They have a child together, my granddaughter. They have lived with me for about 10 months. Before that they were homeless, living out of my son's truck. I don't agree with his decisions, but with her being pregnant and they were not in safe circumstances, I decided to ask them to live with me. It has been very rocky at times both between me and them and them between each other. I have had to talk her off of the precipice of self-harm several times. There have been some minor instances of physical "interaction" between them as well. 
      All this to say I am looking for advice, admonishment, encouragement, Etc. My siblings and parents are very supportive but I feel like I need some third party perspective sometimes.