IGNORED

What does Jesus mean when he calls himself the Son of Man?

nickm727

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  46
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0

Does it relate to when he says "Hollowed be thy name?" or "through the mouth of babes and nursing infants are prayer will be made perfect"

The word came to me when i was reading scripture as Jesus said "these are my brothers and sisters" or "Man may not live off bread alone".  that Jesus wants us to go straight to the Father. Does that mean when we do so he can learn from us? 

just curious

• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,361
  • Content Per Day:  2.35
  • Birthday:  02/03/1953

1 hour ago, nickm727 said:

Does it relate to when he says "Hollowed be thy name?" or "through the mouth of babes and nursing infants are prayer will be made perfect"

The word came to me when i was reading scripture as Jesus said "these are my brothers and sisters" or "Man may not live off bread alone".  that Jesus wants us to go straight to the Father. Does that mean when we do so he can learn from us? 

just curious

I think "Son of man" alludes to the fact that he came to serve us.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  7,778
  • Content Per Day:  2.42
  • Days Won:  3

1 hour ago, nickm727 said:

just curious

"Son of Man", had a special meaning...to Jesus, when used by Jesus. 

But it also had a special meaning to the Jews who heard it, and it was not the first time....

Jesus may have use it for many different reasons and proposes... 

Studying their scriptures we will read the part that a man appeared to the would be mother of Samson...and told her the blessing that is coming to her to have a son...the woman met the man again, and again this her husband....

Then they invited him to eat with them...he accepted their invitation but he said that he would not eat...

They did not know that he was an angel of the Lord their God. 

Then something happened and the man did some miraculous things....and that's how they found out that he was an Angel from God....

Jesus was doing many miraculous things among the people, and many of them were wondering if he was an Angel sent from God to benefit the people of God...

They knew not much about him....and they thought that he was sent by God in the same way as the Angel appeared to Samson's parents. 

So Jesus was telling them that "I am not an Angel", I have a mother just like you...

This also included the fact that Jesus knew, but not the people, that in everything he looks like them, and not anyone can tell his secret by looking at him, because all of them were sons of men, they all had a mother and a father...

But Jesus allured to the fact that he was not in everything like them, even though they cannot tell...and this is the difference that he did not have an earthly father...he knew that God was his FATHER..

(Follow in Luke to read about his miraculous birth). 

And the fact that Jesus often saying that he has come from above, from God help the people to talk among themselves that he maybe an Angel of God, when he was not.

That also cause fear among many, and even though they wanted to kill him, just like the Pharisees, that fear for some time held them back...and they were saying that he was not from God to alleviate their fear for planing to find an opportunity to kill him. 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  30
  • Topic Count:  265
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  13,130
  • Content Per Day:  3.50
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  10/06/1947

8 hours ago, nickm727 said:

just curious

Hi nickm,

Good question. Now man through his rebellion lost his inheritance and relationship with God. The divine law was that to ransom these a benefactor must provide legal evidence to prove he holds a close kindred relationship to those in adversity. Thus the saviour of the world came and was manifest as a man to fulfil this important function.

We see the type when Boaz was a kinsman to Ruth and restored her and the land by claiming to be the nearest kinsman.

Thus at the commencement of His public ministry, Jesus Himself brought forth this significant title, `The Son of man.` (John 5: 26 & 27) And also -

` The Son of man is come to seek and to save that which was lost.` (Luke 19: 10)

Also as a divine delegate, Jesus taught that he held the highest honour in the celestial court, even prior to His manifestation, by saying,

"No one has ascended up into heaven, but He that came down from heaven, even the Son of man which is in heaven." (John 3: 13) 

Marilyn.

• This is Worthy 1
  • Brilliant! 1

• Group:  Non-Trinitarian
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  160
  • Content Per Day:  0.09

Very good question! 

Let me share a couple thoughts, as I've done a bit of study and writing on this...

Dominion over God’s creation, rulership of the earth was given to man way back in Genesis Chapter 1:28. As we shall discover, God created the physical realm to even have dominion over the spiritual as well.

"When I consider Your heavens, the work of Your fingers,
The moon and the stars, which You have ordained,
4 What is man that You are mindful of him,
And the son of man that You visit him?
5 For You have made him a little lower than God,
And You have crowned him with glory and honor.
6 You have made him to have dominion over the works of Your hands;
You have put all things under his feet."
- Psalm 8:3-6 NKJV Heb

The first Adam fell, and forfeited this inheritance, yet the promise of God remained: to grant man rulership over creation. Through Abraham, Israel, man continued to fall short and prove unworthy. 

Enter the Man Jesus - 

He had to be like us, born of a woman, a flesh and blood man, to be eligible to be our Redeemer, our King. He had to become flesh in order to conquer the spiritual enemies of God and His creation. Jesus greatly emphasized His humanity in His teaching, always referring to Himself as the “Son of Man.” Jesus rose and emerged from the grave as a physical Man (Luke 24:36-43). He ascended as a physical Man (Acts 1:4-11). And He is coming again to set up the Kingdom of God on the earth as a physical Man (Matt 24:29-31).

“Since then the children have shared in flesh and blood, He also Himself in the same way partook of the same, that through death He might bring to nothing him who had the power of death, that is, the devil.”
– Heb 2:14 WEB

“He was manifested physically and proved righteous spiritually.”
- 1Tim 3:16 CJB

This is an excerpt from an essay I did a couple years ago on The Greatest Gift (Man's Inheritance of Creation) Below is a pdf of the article if any are interested. 

Truly God's great plan & purpose are incredible. And because of Jesus, the Man who now sits at the right hand of the Father in Heaven, God's desire to have man inherit and rule over creation is going to happen. Oh Glory! I look forward to that Day!

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

Daniel 7:13-14 It was a messianic title. Jesus was proclaiming Himself as the Messiah. Also Jesus was a human being. Jesus was also fully God. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • This is Worthy 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  30
  • Topic Count:  265
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  13,130
  • Content Per Day:  3.50
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  10/06/1947

4 hours ago, missmuffet said:

Daniel 7:13-14 It was a messianic title. Jesus was proclaiming Himself as the Messiah. Also Jesus was a human being. Jesus was also fully God. 

Good one missmuffet.

`I was watching in the night visions, and behold, one like the Son of Man, coming with the clouds of heaven!`

There we see the ascended, glorified Lord Jesus Christ receiving the power & authority & dominion to rule from the highest heavens. (More detail in Rev. 4 & 5)

Marilyn.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  27
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  302
  • Content Per Day:  0.17
  • Days Won:  1

12 hours ago, Michael (limmuwd) said:

Very good question! 

Let me share a couple thoughts, as I've done a bit of study and writing on this...

Dominion over God’s creation, rulership of the earth was given to man way back in Genesis Chapter 1:28. As we shall discover, God created the physical realm to even have dominion over the spiritual as well.

"When I consider Your heavens, the work of Your fingers,
The moon and the stars, which You have ordained,
4 What is man that You are mindful of him,
And the son of man that You visit him?
5 For You have made him a little lower than God,
And You have crowned him with glory and honor.
6 You have made him to have dominion over the works of Your hands;
You have put all things under his feet."
- Psalm 8:3-6 NKJV Heb

The first Adam fell, and forfeited this inheritance, yet the promise of God remained: to grant man rulership over creation. Through Abraham, Israel, man continued to fall short and prove unworthy. 

Enter the Man Jesus - 

He had to be like us, born of a woman, a flesh and blood man, to be eligible to be our Redeemer, our King. He had to become flesh in order to conquer the spiritual enemies of God and His creation. Jesus greatly emphasized His humanity in His teaching, always referring to Himself as the “Son of Man.” Jesus rose and emerged from the grave as a physical Man (Luke 24:36-43). He ascended as a physical Man (Acts 1:4-11). And He is coming again to set up the Kingdom of God on the earth as a physical Man (Matt 24:29-31).

“Since then the children have shared in flesh and blood, He also Himself in the same way partook of the same, that through death He might bring to nothing him who had the power of death, that is, the devil.”
– Heb 2:14 WEB

“He was manifested physically and proved righteous spiritually.”
- 1Tim 3:16 CJB

This is an excerpt from an essay I did a couple years ago on The Greatest Gift (Man's Inheritance of Creation) Below is a pdf of the article if any are interested. 

Truly God's great plan & purpose are incredible. And because of Jesus, the Man who now sits at the right hand of the Father in Heaven, God's desire to have man inherit and rule over creation is going to happen. Oh Glory! I look forward to that Day!

Hi Michael. Just wondering how that "Non-trinitarian" label got onto your profile and why?

Edited by Pekoudah