• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  24
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  27
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

I need help with a question.  

I have a son who just sees Christians as being a doormat.  People take advantage of them, cheat them (as people who have stolen $20,000 from me, ) and to him, all he sees is a lopsided Christian model where "we have to pray for them, and forgive them".  To him, we (as Christians) are just being naive and stupid, and have a mentality that "vengeance is God's" and He will repay, which makes as little sense as a screen door in a submarine.   I personally have no problem, as I have seen the devil steal $20,000  from me, and actually gave me back $142,000! (seven times what he stole).  But my son does not see that as a viable answer.  He thinks that to just "leave matters in God's hands" is just "lame" and lopsided, and the model has no accountability, and to him, people (even Christians, as this couple described claim to be) have a hayday stealing and lying and carrying on with this lifestyle, then attend church Sunday morning and seem to "get away with murder" as if nothing happened.  The whole model just makes no sense at all.  Can anyone give me a SATISFYING answer to this.  Christianity to him are just a bunch of churchgoers where they have a life of nothing more than "having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof".

David Film

• Praying! 1

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  241
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  6,932
  • Content Per Day:  3.27
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/23/1954

21 minutes ago, DavidFilm said:

I need help with a question.  

I have a son who just sees Christians as being a doormat.  People take advantage of them, cheat them (as people who have stolen $20,000 from me, ) and to him, all he sees is a lopsided Christian model where "we have to pray for them, and forgive them".  To him, we (as Christians) are just being naive and stupid, and have a mentality that "vengeance is God's" and He will repay, which makes as little sense as a screen door in a submarine.   I personally have no problem, as I have seen the devil steal $20,000  from me, and actually gave me back $142,000! (seven times what he stole).  But my son does not see that as a viable answer.  He thinks that to just "leave matters in God's hands" is just "lame" and lopsided, and the model has no accountability, and to him, people (even Christians, as this couple described claim to be) have a hayday stealing and lying and carrying on with this lifestyle, then attend church Sunday morning and seem to "get away with murder" as if nothing happened.  The whole model just makes no sense at all.  Can anyone give me a SATISFYING answer to this.  Christianity to him are just a bunch of churchgoers where they have a life of nothing more than "having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof".

David Film

Hi David. 

As you spend time in this passage of Scripture maybe some thoughts will come to you in answer to your son's comments. From a worldly perspective the Christian response to being ripped off seems like weakness but in actual fact it is the reverse, a sign of the inner conviction that we are strangers and sojourners in this world, and its troubles are but for a short season prior to our eternity with Christ in glory.

1Pe 3:8-17
(8)  Finally, be you all of one mind, having compassion one of another, love as brethren, be pitiful, be courteous:
(9)  Not rendering evil for evil, or railing for railing: but contrariwise blessing; knowing that you are thereunto called, that you should inherit a blessing.
(10)  For he that will love life, and see good days, let him refrain his tongue from evil, and his lips that they speak no guile:
(11)  Let him eschew evil, and do good; let him seek peace, and ensue it.
(12)  For the eyes of the Lord are over the righteous, and his ears are open unto their prayers: but the face of the Lord is against them that do evil.
(13)  And who is he that will harm you, if you be followers of that which is good?
(14)  But and if you suffer for righteousness' sake, happy are you: and be not afraid of their terror, neither be troubled;
(15)  But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asks you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear:
(16)  Having a good conscience; that, whereas they speak evil of you, as of evildoers, they may be ashamed that falsely accuse your good conversation in Christ.
(17)  For it is better, if the will of God be so, that you suffer for well doing, than for evil doing.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.93
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

Hi David, 

Well, it is unfortunate to know and realize, how many Christians are such poor examples of Christ Himself. I take it that your son is around church often enough and sees this personally, or perhaps he wouldn't have this opinion. Knowing about your being cheated, certainly doesn't help I'm sure.   

I suppose suggesting another better body of believers wouldn't convince him at this point in time. Sometimes when conviction is weighing heavily on a younger person, they get a dim view of Christianity as a whole. This makes for excuses to keep running from God.

All this aside, the thing is for you to be the best model fitting the life of a true believer in Jesus, at all times and situations. And I'm sure that you are trying your hardest to do so, by the post submitted. Be not weary in well doing, and continue being consistent in your walk before Him. God bless. 

Shalom, 

David/BeauJangles  

Edited by BeauJangles
  • Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,299
  • Content Per Day:  1.72
  • Days Won:  0

Two very basic points.

1. If they have not repented you do not have to forgive them.

2. If what has been done is illegal or breaking the law report them to the police.

If they are going around churches conning people out of money warn the churches around your area.

Edited by Who me