• Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  6,726
  • Content Per Day:  2.91
  • Days Won:  5

6 hours ago, turtletwo said:

Repentance

Repentance is a major theme of the Bible and a requirement for sinful humans to approach the holy God. But what does repent mean? What is repentance?

What Is Repentance?
The Greek word translated “repentance” in the New Testament means “to change one’s way of life as the result of a complete change of thought and attitude with regard to sin and righteousness” (Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament Based on Semantic Domains, J.P. Louw and Eugene Nida, 1988).

Vine’s Expository Dictionary of Biblical Words (W.E. Vine, 1985) points out that the Greek literally means “to perceive afterwards.”

Considering these definitions, what is repentance? It is looking at something that you did in the past, recognizing that it was sinful—that it broke God’s good and beneficial laws—and concluding you need to change for the better.

The initial steps
Since it is not natural for us to desire to make the changes necessary to obey God (Romans 8:7), He must lead us to understand the need for repentance (Romans 2:4), which is the starting point of a commitment to a new way of living and to the transformation of the human heart and mind from carnal to spiritual (Acts 3:19; Romans 12:2).

The Bible shows that initial repentance is a significant, personal, life-changing decision. Repentance is characterized by an understanding of the seriousness of sin (Romans 6:23; Ephesians 2:1-3), a deep desire to be forgiven (Psalm 51:1-3; Hebrews 9:14) and a determined commitment to change behavior and thoughts in order to stop sinning (Matthew 3:8; Acts 26:19-20).

The apostle Paul emphasized that “godly sorrow” produces genuine repentance, which results in permanent changes that ultimately lead a person toward salvation, in contrast to “the sorrow of the world,” which does not result in permanent change and leads to death (2 Corinthians 7:10). Verse 11 highlights the diligent effort and vehement desire to change that godly sorrow produces.

Jesus’ gospel message includes a call to repentance (Mark 1:14-15), which leads to a change in direction—turning from the natural pursuit of sinful human values to obedience and seeking the Kingdom of God. Jesus used current events of His time to emphasize that a person’s life is futile and random until he or she comes to repentance and begins to pursue the Kingdom of God (Luke 13:1-5).

After His death and resurrection Jesus instructed His disciples to teach about His sacrifice and also “that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in His name to all nations, beginning at Jerusalem” (Luke 24:46-47; see also Matthew 28:18-20).

Jesus was willing to be beaten and die a horrible death to pay the penalty for our sins. That awesome sacrifice reinforces the seriousness of sin and the thankfulness we need to show to our merciful God.

An ongoing frame of mind
What is repentance? Is it just a single decision that leads to baptism? No, it also must be an ongoing frame of mind, recognizing that overcoming sin is a lifetime effort. Whenever we fall short of full obedience, we need to be forgiven. (1 John 1:9)

What is repentance? Is it just a single decision that leads to baptism? No, it also must be an ongoing frame of mind, recognizing that overcoming sin is a lifetime effort. In Colossians 3:1-10 Paul calls on those who, through repentance, have been baptized and have received the Holy Spirit to “put to death” the sinful ways of the “old man” and to “put on the new man.” In Romans 7:13-25 he vividly describes our battle to overcome our nature and inclination to sin—and explains that our only hope is through Jesus Christ, by whom we can be forgiven (verses 24-25). After initial repentance and baptism, there is a continual need for repentance and the seeking of forgiveness:

“If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. If we say that we have not sinned, we make Him a liar, and His word is not in us” (1 John 1:8-10).

Ultimately, it is God’s plan that everyone will have the opportunity to receive the gift of salvation, beginning with the experience of personal repentance. As Peter wrote, God is “not willing that any should perish but that all should come to repentance” (2 Peter 3:9).

Considering these definitions, what is repentance? It is looking at something that you did in the past, recognizing that it was sinful—that it broke God’s good and beneficial laws—and concluding you need to change for the better.

With all due respect , this sounds more like a regret that was so profound , a person decided it was time to turn over a new leaf and really does not involve God.
  I believe the repentance God desires is the one that involves a “ change of mind” (metanoia—Greek Word for a change of mind that we translate as repentance) that reveals that you are not “ good enough “ for Heaven  and you are hopelessly lost unless you find a Savior.Whatever gets you to the mind- frame that brings you to the end of yourself, and drives you to the point where all you have left is to get on your knees and cry out “ Lord, have mercy on me, a sinner” is true repentance. It got the Publican justified (  viewed by God as if he had never sinned) and it will do the same for you. 
Edited by Blood Bought 1953
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  1,192
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  7,264
  • Content Per Day:  1.19
  • Days Won:  194

@Blood Bought 1953 Thanks for your input. I like what you said about the Publican.:) I agree with your post.

But I just wanted to quote a couple lines in the article that I thought were actually in keeping with what you were explaining ( Perhaps you could re-read & see what I mean. Okay?)

24 minutes ago, Blood Bought 1953 said:

I believe the repentance God desires is the one that involves a “ change of mind”

To me, a "complete change of thought and attitude" is actually the same thing as a change of mind. As I underlined below from the Lexicon.

7 hours ago, turtletwo said:

The Greek word translated “repentance” in the New Testament means “to change one’s way of life as the result of a complete change of thought and attitude with regard to sin and righteousness” (Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament Based on Semantic Domains, J.P. Louw and Eugene Nida, 1988).

28 minutes ago, Blood Bought 1953 said:

that reveals that you are not “ good enough “ for Heaven  and you are hopelessly lost unless you find a Savior

I thought this was covered by the scripture about godly sorrow. To me, that is in keeping with realizing one is hopelessly lost and crying out for salvation.

The apostle Paul emphasized that “godly sorrow” produces genuine repentance, which results in permanent changes that ultimately lead a person toward salvation, in contrast to “the sorrow of the world,” which does not result in permanent change and leads to death (2 Corinthians 7:10). Verse 11 highlights the diligent effort and vehement desire to change that godly sorrow produces.

Below is another line that I thought brought out the realization of how awful our sin was that nailed him to the tree and how desperately we see our lost condition.

That awesome sacrifice reinforces the seriousness of sin

When I read the article, I thought these things I underlined addressed the sinfulness of man crying out for salvation. 

I hope perhaps you see what I mean.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Praise God! 1

4 hours ago, turtletwo said:

@Blood Bought 1953 Thanks for your input. I like what you said about the Publican.:) I agree with your post.

But I just wanted to quote a couple lines in the article that I thought were actually in keeping with what you were explaining ( Perhaps you could re-read & see what I mean. Okay?)

To me, a "complete change of thought and attitude" is actually the same thing as a change of mind. As I underlined below from the Lexicon.

I thought this was covered by the scripture about godly sorrow. To me, that is in keeping with realizing one is hopelessly lost and crying out for salvation.

Below is another line that I thought brought out the realization of how awful our sin was that nailed him to the tree and how desperately we see our lost condition.

When I read the article, I thought these things I underlined addressed the sinfulness of man crying out for salvation. 

I hope perhaps you see what I mean.

The Bible shows that initial repentance is a significant, personal, life-changing decision. Repentance is characterized by an understanding of the seriousness of sin (Romans 6:23; Ephesians 2:1-3), a deep desire to be forgiven (Psalm 51:1-3; Hebrews 9:14) and a determined commitment to change behavior and thoughts in order to stop sinning (Matthew 3:8; Acts 26:19-20).

Thank you for the kind post, my Sister and friend......It seems that we differ quite a bit on our thoughts about repentance .I don’t think God wants a “ determined commitment to change behavior and thoughts” That’s no better than “ turning over a new leaf”.Its like saying “ I can save myself or at least help out with my Salvation  as long as I can “clean  up my act”. If we choose an improved performance to justify ourselves before God, he’ll not have it.The way to get justified is to do what the publican did—- cry out as a lost sinner who KNOWS he can’t improve himself to be become perfect, which is God’s Standard If you choose to go that deceiving route.Repentance is coming to the end of yourself — it’s the complete abandonment of “ trying”. You come to realize the horror that you CANT do it! God will not save anybody “ trying to be saved”.He will only save those TRUSTING to be saved.Trusting in NOTHING BUT THE BLOOD  for your Salvation, and letting HIM finish the work He started.For Trust, and that alone He will give you the Holy Spirit which will take care of all our foibles that we try so hard to “ fix”. Let Him change the inside of the cup- a transformation that only HE can perform and just watch as the sins that beset us so easily start falling by the wayside.Instead of trying to improve ourselves, pray that the Holy Spirit opens our eyes to see that we CANT improve ourselves. THAT is repentance .Its the paradox of Christianity .When you stop “ dead works” that is when the REAL work can begin- God working in you and through you.God bless you,Sister.

Edited by Blood Bought 1953
  • Loved it! 1
  • Oy Vey! 1

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,280
  • Content Per Day:  1.25
  • Days Won:  2

19 minutes ago, Blood Bought 1953 said:

The Bible shows that initial repentance is a significant, personal, life-changing decision. Repentance is characterized by an understanding of the seriousness of sin (Romans 6:23; Ephesians 2:1-3), a deep desire to be forgiven (Psalm 51:1-3; Hebrews 9:14) and a determined commitment to change behavior and thoughts in order to stop sinning (Matthew 3:8; Acts 26:19-20).

Thank you for the kind post, my Sister and friend......It seems that we differ quite a bit on our thoughts about repentance .I don’t think God wants a “ determined commitment to change behavior and thoughts” That’s no better than “ turning over a new leaf”.Its like saying “ I can save myself or at least help out with my Salvation  as long as I can “clean  up my act”. If we choose an improved performance to justify ourselves before God, he’ll not have it.The way to get justified is to do what the publican did—- cry out as a lost sinner who KNOWS he can’t improve himself to be become perfect, which is God’s Standard If you choose to go that deceiving route.Repentance is coming to the end of yourself — it’s the complete abandonment of “ trying”. You come to realize the horror that you CANT do it! God will not save anybody “ trying to be saved”.He will only save those TRUSTING to be saved.Trusting in NOTHING BUT THE BLOOD  for your Salvation, and letting HIM finish the work He started.For Trust, and that alone He will give you the Holy Spirit which will take care of all our foibles that we try so hard to “ fix”. Let Him change the inside of the cup- a transformation that only HE can perform and just watch as the sins that beset us so easily start falling by the wayside.Instead of trying to improve ourselves, pray that the Holy Spirit opens our eyes to see that we CANT improve ourselves. THAT is repentance .Its the paradox of Christianity .When you stop “ dead works” that is when the REAL work can begin- God working in you and through you.God bless you,Sister.

The man that cried out for mercy did so because of his life of sin.  He knew there was no way to undo his past.  He was not saying he was a hopeless sinner forever.  Zaccaeus came to repentance and spoke of restoring back anything he had taken by fraud and promising to change his ways and Jesus said that this day, salvation came to him.   His turning over a new leaf were the result of his faith in Christ.

• Loved it! 1
  • Brilliant! 1
  • Oy Vey! 1

Both men had their consciences pricked by the Holy Spirit.....that’s the absolute beginning of Repentance...they saw that they were lost sinners  

“ Nobody comes to God lest the Spirit draw him”  These are men who are examples of that “ drawing of the Spirit”.    They were blind....but now they see.....

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  52
  • Topic Count:  1,010
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  12,206
  • Content Per Day:  1.79
  • Days Won:  92

I believe repentance starts in our hearts when the Holy Spirit convicts us of sin.   Of course, afterwards our thoughts will agree with what our hearts came to realize.   When our hearts are involved, this is much more than turning over new leafs.

• This is Worthy 1
  • Praise God! 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  839
  • Content Per Day:  0.45
  • Days Won:  0

I agree with everything said here,  repentance is a change of heart,  it starts when we confess sin :)

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  16
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

Repentance is something God told us about through the prophets

http://www.hebrew4christians.com/Holidays/Fall_Holidays/Elul/Teshuvah/teshuvah.html

Four Steps of Repentance Teshuvah:

1  Forsake the sin (Prov. 28:13).  "Sincere repentance is demonstrated when the same temptation to sin, under the same conditions, is resolutely resisted" (Talmud Yoma 86b). Note that according to traditional Jewish views, the atonement is of no avail without repentance (Midrash Sifra). [shuv/strepho] 

2  Regret the breach in your relationship with God and others (Psalm 51). [nacham/metanoia] 

3  Confess the truth and make amends with those we have harmed (Prov. 28:13; 1 John 1:9; James 5:16, Matt. 5:23-4). Note that we must ask for mechilah (forgiveness from others) before receiving selichah (forgiveness from God). [shuv/strepho] 

4  Accept your forgiveness and move forward with the LORD through faith (Phil. 3:13-14; 1 John 1:9). Be comforted by the Presence of the LORD in your life: Nachumu: "Comfort ye my people" (Isa. 40:1). [nacham/metanoia].

Finally, it needs to be said that authentic repentance is a lifestyle, not a "one time deal." We never get past it. Although there is certainly spiritual progress as we walk in grace, all genuine progress comes through ongoing teshuvah. We may repent from a certain action at a given point in time, but that does not mean that no longer need to do teshuvah. Teshuvah is perpetual and timeless, since it corresponds to our spiritual rather than our temporal lives (i.e., chayei olam rather than chayei sha'ah). Indeed, a true penitent is called baal teshuvah , a "master of returning," who is always turning away from self and toward God. We never get beyond the call to "repent and believe the gospel" (Mark 1:15). That is why the season of teshuvah is always timely. The message of Elul and the High Holidays is meant to be carried over throughout the rest of the year.

John the baptist preached repentance and Jesus said His ministry was founded on Jonahs message to Nineveh.