• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.24
  • Days Won:  115

17 minutes ago, loverofhumanity said:

Of course Jesus is my Lord and Saviour but I’m not a member of any Christian organisation as I side with Jesus and the Bible not any denomination.  That way I can accept the truth as I understand it.

Welcome.  Sitting in a church does not make you a christian any more then sitting in a garage makes you a car.  It is a heart commitment and relationship with God that will determine if you believe in Jesus or not.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • This is Worthy 1

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  107
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,820
  • Content Per Day:  1.30
  • Days Won:  2

Welcome to the forum.  Ask away.

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,299
  • Content Per Day:  1.72
  • Days Won:  0

46 minutes ago, loverofhumanity said:

Of course Jesus is my Lord and Saviour but I’m not a member of any Christian organisation as I side with Jesus and the Bible not any denomination.  That way I can accept the truth as I understand it.

The bible tells us to meet together, why do you chose to disobey that?

Yes I know no church/housegroup is a perfect example of a church etc, but then none of us are perfect examples of what a Christian is.

There are two basic reasons for attending church.

1. so you can encourage others.

2. so you can be rebuked/disciplined/ taught how to be a better Christian.

If you cannot stand Christian now, how will you cope with the Christians in heaven?

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.81
  • Days Won:  226

52 minutes ago, loverofhumanity said:

You do not have to be a denomination to be a Christian. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  26
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

Do any of you know the Old Testament really well? 

How do you deal with the accusation that God committed genocide against the Amalekites by ordering the extermination Of  every man, woman and infant? 

The author of the Book is stated in commentaries as ‘unknown’ and that it was recorded about 200 or more years after the event. Also, weren’t the Amalekites continually attacking the Israelites over a 500 year period?

The question of course is why women and infants were mentioned or is the recording not divinely revealed revelation and the mistake of a historian as to the details?

Edited by loverofhumanity

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  52
  • Topic Count:  1,017
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  12,296
  • Content Per Day:  1.79
  • Days Won:  92

3 hours ago, loverofhumanity said:

If Jesus is your Lord and Savior....that is, you have accepted Christ's atoning sacrifice for your sins so you are forgiven through Him....then you are a Christian.   It would be nice if you could find a good church for hearing God's word and for fellowship, but attending doesn't make anyone a Christian.

1 hour ago, loverofhumanity said:

How do you deal with the accusation that God committed genocide against the Amalekites by ordering the extermination Of  every man, woman and infant? 

The author of the Book is stated in commentaries as ‘unknown’ and that it was recorded about 200 or more years after the event. Also, weren’t the Amalekites continually attacking the Israelites over a 500 year period?

The question of course is why women and infants were mentioned or is the recording not divinely revealed revelation and the mistake of a historian as to the details?

Some others might have specific answers for you.   Here is a good site with hundreds of answers about the Bible that you might find interesting...

https://www.gotquestions.org/Amalekites.html

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  26
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

Thanks for the link. I’ve been there.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  2,367
  • Content Per Day:  0.63
  • Days Won:  1

6 hours ago, loverofhumanity said:

Hello LoH,

You stated in your opening post that you are “not a Christian”, but later you said that “Jesus is my Lord and Saviour”.

If you have sincerely confessed Jesus as your Lord, then He is your Saviour – and your are a Christian. Labels aren't really all-that important, but I suspect that is the understanding of most Christians here. And that may have been a source of confusion earlier in the discussion.

How do you deal with the accusation that God committed genocide against the Amalekites by ordering the extermination Of every man, woman and infant?

This discussion requires dealing with some uncomfortable premises of Christian doctrine.

1- The problem of sin to God

God is perfectly just. That means He is morally obligated to punish every sin. Sin is treason against the highest Authority in all of reality. The just punishment for sin is eternal separation from our Creator (the ultimate source of all peace, joy, love, comfort, rest and hope). Since all humans are infected with the corruption of sin (even infants), God not only has every right to destroy any human He chooses, but is obligated by perfect justice to destroy every human. That fact that God A) provides humanity with a path to pardon, and B) gives any human a life to find His pardon, is an act of outrageous, stupendous, incomprehensible mercy. God could have, with full moral integrity, chosen to destroy and condemn us all.

2 – The Problem of sin for humans

Sin corrupts and destroys. It is the source of all death and suffering. Continued sin continues to corrupt and destroy. Sin corrupts mostly the person committing the sin. But the effect of sin extends beyond the sinner in proportion to proximity to the sin. That is, the influence of sin will bring corruption most acutely to the people close to us, as well as the natural world around us. Ultimately, every sin corrupts the entire creation to some degree. Adam ate some fruit that didn't belong to Him, and thereby introduced corruption to the whole of creation, and condemned all his descendants to a life of suffering and death.

3 – The redemption of humanity

God has promised humanity a Saviour from the just consequences of our sins.

In order to qualify as our Saviour, the Messiah has to be a human – because He had to demonstrate that it was possible for a human to live according to God's standards – and that God's standards and judgements were morally just. Therefore, the Messiah was originally promised as a descendant of Eve (and later, Abraham, Israel (Jacob) and David). The Messiah also had to be a human without the inherited nature of sin. If the Messiah was corrupted by sin, then He would owe His own life for His own sin (like the rest of us) – and not be qualified to pay the price for anyone else's sins. And so Jesus inherited the uncorrupted nature of God, His Father (as did Adam - before he corrupted his own nature through sin).

4 – The corruption of sin is heritable

Children inherit the corruption of sin from their parents. They then pass that corruption, along with the additional corruption gained through their own life, onto their children. Over time, that corruption can accumulate to a point where the line of the promised Saviour jeopardised. If God didn't act, there would be no Saviour, and therefore no redemption for humans. And so, on several occasions, God has had to cleanse those corrupted societies from the vicinity of the promise (e.g. the Biblical flood, Sodom and Gomorrah). After entering a covenant with Israel, God worked through Israel to accomplish His will on earth – and so commanded them to perform the necessary destruction.

The Amalekites had been used to attack the promise since the people of Israel left Egypt. Note that God didn't just order the destruction of humans, but also "all they have" including the cattle (1 Sam 15:3)– as the corruption of the Amalekites had spread beyond the humans.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Steward

• Group:  Steward
  • Followers:  110
  • Topic Count:  10,465
  • Topics Per Day:  1.26
  • Content Count:  27,772
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  129
  • Birthday:  09/21/1971

10 hours ago, loverofhumanity said:

Hi everyone.

I’m new here and I thank you for having me. 

Sometimes I get some really hard questions asked of me because I defend and uphold the Bible. I’ve bought commentaries and looked online but sometimes people are the best resource so I came here. 

I’m not a Christian but I believe in Jesus that He was of God and the Bible is the Word of God so is it still alright if I ask a question as it will help me defend the Bible better? 

So im courteously asking if it’s alright first as I don’t want to upset or offend anyone. 

Welcome to Worthy!  :)

Ask away!  God bless,

George

• Thumbs Up 2

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,361
  • Content Per Day:  2.31
  • Birthday:  02/03/1953

18 hours ago, loverofhumanity said:

If a nation unjustly went to war with the Israelites, and if the Lord decided to eradicate that nation, what is wrong with that? Death isn't a bad thing - it is just the moment where we cross over to the resurrection.