how much news should a Christian watch?

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  119
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Days Won:  0

I watch a lot of news (not lib news or what some call fake news, although I often wonder if we get the "whole story" anywhere)

But I am getting burnt out on doing this because it seems it is always about celebrities and famous people and etc... It is only about everyday people when there is a natural disaster or something like that.

So I am wondering how much news you people watch, if any? I used to not watch any but a few yrs ago, I began to watch a lot because I had some work-related issues and was not able to work as much as I wanted and so.. had time on my hands. I am not sure I have as much time anymore but in any case... just want to hear from others, esp those who have been more/less closely following current events..

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  3,298
  • Content Per Day:  1.73

I think the question should be. 'Why do we watch the news?'

Just thinking about this has made me realise how rarely I pray for people and situations in the news.

A second question would be. 'Do you need to watch the news?'

For those suffering from depression or giving to worrying should not watch the news, human curiosity being what it is it is very difficult not to watch it.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,990
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,688
  • Content Per Day:  11.83
  • Days Won:  226

43 minutes ago, cantankerous5 said:

I watch a lot of news (not lib news or what some call fake news, although I often wonder if we get the "whole story" anywhere)

But I am getting burnt out on doing this because it seems it is always about celebrities and famous people and etc... It is only about everyday people when there is a natural disaster or something like that.

So I am wondering how much news you people watch, if any? I used to not watch any but a few yrs ago, I began to watch a lot because I had some work-related issues and was not able to work as much as I wanted and so.. had time on my hands. I am not sure I have as much time anymore but in any case... just want to hear from others, esp those who have been more/less closely following current events..

I used to like to be informed and go on the news on-line. It has gotten so bad that I rarely go on the news anymore. I figure God has it so I will just put it aside. 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,795
  • Content Per Day:  6.22
  • Days Won:  58

We are told to watch. How can we watch if we wilfully hide out from news on a consistent basis? My husband is a news junkie and follows national and international news to see whats going on in the middle east. I follow news too, but more local and national news to see whats going on around me. Cant vote unless I know the issues. Cant contact my local politicians to express my opinions on issues unless I know what they are. Cant make a difference unless I know what is going on.

Lots of fake news sure, but if you read the same story from multiple sources, you can usually get a good idea of what is going on. By mulitple I dont mean nbc abc only mainstream media as multiple. I mean reuters, afp, mainstream media etc. 

• Thumbs Up 1

39 minutes ago, missmuffet said:

I used to like to be informed and go on the news on-line. It has gotten so bad that I rarely go on the news anymore. I figure God has it so I will just put it aside. 

I have often had the thought that I should be doing something more.. um.. something that would bring people to Jesus.. the only problem being that I'm not very good at that, except in certain ways.. I do share what I learn on the news w/ others and also, it is very helpful to know about what is  going on when you evangelize because you can incorporate current events into.. well, you know.. you can use examples from the news to make a spiritual  point

34 minutes ago, ayin jade said:

We are told to watch. How can we watch if we wilfully hide out from news on a consistent basis? My husband is a news junkie and follows national and international news to see whats going on in the middle east. I follow news too, but more local and national news to see whats going on around me. Cant vote unless I know the issues. Cant contact my local politicians to express my opinions on issues unless I know what they are. Cant make a difference unless I know what is going on.

Lots of fake news sure, but if you read the same story from multiple sources, you can usually get a good idea of what is going on. By mulitple I dont mean nbc abc only mainstream media as multiple. I mean reuters, afp, mainstream media etc. 

what is afp?

what do u consider "mainstreaM"?

17 minutes ago, cantankerous5 said:

I have often had the thought that I should be doing something more.. um.. something that would bring people to Jesus.. the only problem being that I'm not very good at that, except in certain ways.. I do share what I learn on the news w/ others and also, it is very helpful to know about what is  going on when you evangelize because you can incorporate current events into.. well, you know.. you can use examples from the news to make a spiritual  point

You can always pray. Get hooked up with the voice of the martyrs. They need folks praying for their efforts. Pray for worthy. The goal of this ministry is to lead folks to the Lord. Prayers are very important. 

• Thumbs Up 1

17 minutes ago, cantankerous5 said:

what is afp?

what do u consider "mainstreaM"?

Afp is a news source outside the us. 

https://www.afp.com/en

I consider abc, cbs, nbc, fox, cnn, msnbc to be mainstream media. Newspapers like the new york times are also mainstream. News sources like associated press fall under that too.

If there is a story Im interested in, and I want a different perspective, I will google it and see who else is covering it. Then read more than one (often several) news sources. 

One can read fake news and seperate facts from hype too. 

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, ayin jade said:

You can always pray. Get hooked up with the voice of the martyrs. They need folks praying for their efforts. Pray for worthy. The goal of this ministry is to lead folks to the Lord. Prayers are very important. 

i do pray a lot. I think I am addicted to watching news because almost every spare minute I get, I go for Fox News.. but again, it is  rather tiring always hearing about "them".. the people in DC or Hollywood. I like people I can relate to.. people who can't afford to eat out every night and that kind of thing.

what do you mean by "voice of the martyrs"

i know what a martyr is, but not sure if you are speaking of same thing I am thinking....

3 minutes ago, ayin jade said:

Afp is a news source outside the us. 

https://www.afp.com/en

I consider abc, cbs, nbc, fox, cnn, msnbc to be mainstream media. Newspapers like the new york times are also mainstream. News sources like associated press fall under that too.

If there is a story Im interested in, and I want a different perspective, I will google it and see who else is covering it. Then read more than one (often several) news sources. 

One can read fake news and seperate facts from hype too. 

so what do you think of Fox?