how much news should a Christian watch?

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  347
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,460
  • Content Per Day:  2.70
  • Days Won:  1

I'm not a news junkie, but the wife seems to be. I try to "watch" current events and see how things are lining up according to prophecy of our generation. It's all there taking shape right now in our generation. So many events have transpired that even the main liberal news media often assigns titles as, "historic, unprecedented, never before seen, once in a lifetime, etc." Just as Jesus spoke about in Matthew 24:, not to mention Ezekiel, Daniel, Revelation and elsewhere. 

I could go on and on, but it's readily apparent to those with eyes to see and ears to hear. Hopefully I will not be surprised when I hear the trumpet and the voice that says, "DENNIS, COME UP HITHER"! For I am watching and waiting for my Lord and Saviors return. What a wonderful day that's going to be! AMEN?

• Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,795
  • Content Per Day:  6.21
  • Days Won:  58

15 minutes ago, cantankerous5 said:

i do pray a lot. I think I am addicted to watching news because almost every spare minute I get, I go for Fox News.. but again, it is  rather tiring always hearing about "them".. the people in DC or Hollywood. I like people I can relate to.. people who can't afford to eat out every night and that kind of thing.

what do you mean by "voice of the martyrs"

i know what a martyr is, but not sure if you are speaking of same thing I am thinking....

https://www.persecution.com/

That is voice of the martyrs.

• Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,795
  • Content Per Day:  6.21
  • Days Won:  58

15 minutes ago, cantankerous5 said:

so what do you think of Fox?

I know that most folks either love them or hate them. There is a change in them lately in that they are starting to lean more left. I was never that big on looking at them. I probably give them the same attention I do cnn. Which isnt much. 

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  347
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,460
  • Content Per Day:  2.70

23 minutes ago, ayin jade said:

Afp is a news source outside the us. 

https://www.afp.com/en

I consider abc, cbs, nbc, fox, cnn, msnbc to be mainstream media. Newspapers like the new york times are also mainstream. News sources like associated press fall under that too.

If there is a story Im interested in, and I want a different perspective, I will google it and see who else is covering it. Then read more than one (often several) news sources. 

One can read fake news and seperate facts from hype too. 

Absolutely correct. I take it a step farther; when I want to know exactly what is going on, say in the middle East, I check with knowledgeable Christians such as Amir Tsarfati (a former Israeli officer living in Israel), and Jan Markell of Olive Tree Ministries. 

I think it should go without saying; that the major media outlets no longer objectively and accurately report on events, but are in the business to sway opinion and generate income and have become political and influences for the polling place. Namely democrats and their liberal anti-God agendas. 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  151
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  3,149
  • Content Per Day:  1.05
  • Days Won:  0

2 hours ago, Who me said:

I think the question should be. 'Why do we watch the news?'

Just thinking about this has made me realise how rarely I pray for people and situations in the news.

A second question would be. 'Do you need to watch the news?'

For those suffering from depression or giving to worrying should not watch the news, human curiosity being what it is it is very difficult not to watch it.

i got rid of the tv nearly a decade ago and i dont miss it. its so grim i havent the stomach for it. listen to world service radio instead from time to time

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  119
  • Content Per Day:  0.07

20 minutes ago, ayin jade said:

I know that most folks either love them or hate them. There is a change in them lately in that they are starting to lean more left. I was never that big on looking at them. I probably give them the same attention I do cnn. Which isnt much. 

how are they leaning left (other than appearing to accept gay-ness)?

i do notice that they use the term "abortion rights" as opposed to saying "pro abortion" or whatever

4 minutes ago, existential mabel said:

i got rid of the tv nearly a decade ago and i dont miss it. its so grim i havent the stomach for it. listen to world service radio instead from time to time

i didn't watch tv for something like 10 yrs and didn't miss it either. But then i got addicted to Fox News (cable included in the rent) and I really like it (most of the time). I don't like some of the more liberal personalities on Fox but a lot of them are very .. seem to have old-fashioned morals..

12 minutes ago, Dennis1209 said:

I think it should go without saying; that the major media outlets no longer objectively and accurately report on events, but are in the business to sway opinion and generate income and have become political and influences for the polling place. Namely democrats and their liberal anti-God agendas. 

that is for sure. I do believe Fox attempts to be "fair" although.. I don't know.. Lefties IMO don't deserve a fair hearing. How, for example, does  baby killing deserve a fair discussion. I mean, you don't have to be Mother Teresa to realize that killing a child in the womb is hideously wrong, so I refuse to sit there and listen to pro-abortion people justify that

• Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  5,247
  • Content Per Day:  0.97

The only news I seek is that which can do anything about.
I never tell people to vote without emphasizing the need to be an INFORMED voter.
I watch zero anything TV news, paper, etc. I found an alternative!
Through network of friends, we share voting records of our elected officials.
I get too boomed out and commit a bazillion mental sins listening to the mainstream media.
(I've murdered a million of them mentally) And yes, I pray for them. uhh,  occasionally.

alternative;
(mainstream media has zilch of what is below )
Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are
true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.  Philippians 4:8

Ahh..   I feel better already...........default_cool2.gif.fdd9f3db573f9c367f78c7825a01aaf9.gif

5 minutes ago, Sower said:

The only news I seek is that which can do anything about.
I never tell people to vote without emphasizing the need to be an INFORMED voter.
I watch zero anything TV news, paper, etc. I found an alternative!
Through network of friends, we share voting records of our elected officials.
I get too boomed out and commit a bazillion mental sins listening to the mainstream media.
(I've murdered a million of them mentally) And yes, I pray for them. uhh,  occasionally.

default_cool2.gif.fdd9f3db573f9c367f78c7825a01aaf9.gif

Nadler and Schiff.. (mysteriously, they came to mind when i read that last line of yours) :)