IGNORED

Kingdom of God (or Heaven) - What is it?

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  268
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/25/2004

I did a quick query of the word "kingdom" in the NASB and found 119 occurrences in the Gospels. I am most interested in what Jesus had to say about the kingdom of God or of Heaven. "Kingdom of God" appears 51 times and "Kingdom of Heaven" appears 31 times (all in Matthew and most of all in chapter 13). I would like to know what others may have concluded about it.

I am not very good at understanding subtleties so I have a hard time with parables and metaphors and such.

Edited by NickyLouse
  • Loved it! 1

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  2,679
  • Content Per Day:  1.39
  • Days Won:  16

I've done some digging in this area and begun drawing some conclusions, but I also believe the broadest, most complete answer is likely what @Godismyloveforever just said.

I dragged in the phrase "gospel of the Kingdom" which is the "gospel" Jesus proclaimed He preached and made an emphasis on.  It ties  in well with how  He taught  the  disciples to pray.

So He said to them, “When you pray, say:

Our Father in heaven,
Hallowed be Your name.
Your kingdom come.
Your will be done
On earth as it is in heaven.

That looks to me like a petition looking forward to that day when heaven will be rejoined with the earth as it was in Eden, and Father's rulership of ALL creation is as full and complete as it now is in Heaven. 

When I first began to wonder what the "gospel of the Kingdom" really is, I pretty  quickly realized it's something much bigger than just the gospel of salvation. At least in my  lifetime, and in the  parts of the church i've had personal contact with, the good news of salvation has been treated like an end in itself.  And I think that is part of what  has left most  of the western church powerless. 

I  started wondering  just what the  full extent of what Jesus meant by  "gospel of the Kingom" and determined to review all His words and teachings to see if  i could understand what "distinctives" identified the fullness of the gospel of the Kingdom.  At first I couldn't find any.  Jesus  preached on so many topics and I noticed  the vast majority of His  parables did specifically  relate to the coming Kingdom, but I couldn't find any specific elements in general.  After doing  the  review I took it back to Him still feeling I was missing something, and eventually it dawned on me.  The ONE thing, that always followed Jesus was miracles.   In His ministry  the powers of heaven touching earth and destroying the works and dominion of the devil were always evident.

Jesus was going throughout all Galilee, teaching in their synagogues and proclaiming the gospel of the kingdom, and healing every kind of disease and every kind of sickness among the people.

People often argue that the  gospel of salvation has been preached in the  whole world, all nations, and see that as  a fulfillment of this  prophecy.

“This gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in the whole world as a testimony to all the nations, and then the end will come.

I no longer believe that.  I don't think the full gospel of the Kingdom has been preached effectively  since about the second century.   We've seen a few individuals rise up and walk in kingdom power at different points in church history  since that time, but it's been milllenia since miracles were a normal part of the vast majority of preaching and evangelizing. 

I  don't think that prophecy has been fulfilled yet, but it will be.   The "norm" He expected will be restored and i think this  is what His  idea of "normal" is supposed to look like.

And He said to them, “Go into all the world and preach the gospel to all creation.  He who has believed and has been baptized shall be saved; but he who has disbelieved shall be condemned.  These signs will accompany those who have believed: in My name they will cast out demons, they will speak with new tongues;  they will pick up serpents, and if they drink any deadly poison, it will not hurt them; they will lay hands on the sick, and they will recover.” 

And Jesus came up and spoke to them, saying, “All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earthGo therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit,  teaching them to observe all that I commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.”

I don't think the  gospel of the Kingdom has been preached in  any sustained fashion for many generations now.   We have something to look forward to  :)

• Thumbs Up 2
  • This is Worthy 1
  • Loved it! 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  268
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Birthday:  02/25/2004

43 minutes ago, Jostler said:

That looks to me like a petition looking forward to that day when heaven will be rejoined with the earth as it was in Eden, and Father's rulership of ALL creation is as full and complete as it now is in Heaven. 

Thanks so much for your reply, Jostler. I don't want to take your reply out of context, but I wanted to comment on one thing in particular. I believe that this cannot be completely fulfilled on earth before the return of Christ. I see in Revelation 11 after the 7th trumpet that this kingdom has become His kingdom (and He will reign forever and ever - Hallelujah!). I believe that is the ONLY way His kingdom will come and His will is done on earth.

I want to be in His kingdom, but I do not believe that everyone who believes in Him will be in it - at least not during the Millennial Reign. I refer to the parable of the ten virgins and those who have done works in His name but are cast into outer darkness (that I do not believe is the Lake of Fire). So, my question becomes: What does it take to enter His kingdom? Jesus says that our righteousness must exceed that of the scribes and Pharisees. That may seem pretty easy seeing that they were the ones calling for His death. But I don't know. We must repent. Okay. We must be poor in spirit. Alright. We must keep and teach the commandments. Umm, I would say okay to the best of my ability. Do the Father's will. Again, the same. And the parables about the kingdom leave me scratching my head a bit. Do I not have ears to hear or eyes to see?

Well, thanks again and God bless you.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,361
  • Content Per Day:  2.31
  • Birthday:  02/03/1953

18 hours ago, NickyLouse said:

I did a quick query of the word "kingdom" in the NASB and found 119 occurrences in the Gospels. I am most interested in what Jesus had to say about the kingdom of God or of Heaven. "Kingdom of God" appears 51 times and "Kingdom of Heaven" appears 31 times (all in Matthew and most of all in chapter 13). I would like to know what others may have concluded about it.

I am not very good at understanding subtleties so I have a hard time with parables and metaphors and such.

I believe heaven is what our lives turn into when we repent of our sin. Read Matthew 4:17.

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  2,679
  • Content Per Day:  1.39
  • Days Won:  16

13 hours ago, NickyLouse said:

Thanks so much for your reply, Jostler. I don't want to take your reply out of context, but I wanted to comment on one thing in particular. I believe that this cannot be completely fulfilled on earth before the return of Christ. I see in Revelation 11 after the 7th trumpet that this kingdom has become His kingdom (and He will reign forever and ever - Hallelujah!). I believe that is the ONLY way His kingdom will come and His will is done on earth.

I want to be in His kingdom, but I do not believe that everyone who believes in Him will be in it - at least not during the Millennial Reign. I refer to the parable of the ten virgins and those who have done works in His name but are cast into outer darkness (that I do not believe is the Lake of Fire). So, my question becomes: What does it take to enter His kingdom? Jesus says that our righteousness must exceed that of the scribes and Pharisees. That may seem pretty easy seeing that they were the ones calling for His death. But I don't know. We must repent. Okay. We must be poor in spirit. Alright. We must keep and teach the commandments. Umm, I would say okay to the best of my ability. Do the Father's will. Again, the same. And the parables about the kingdom leave me scratching my head a bit. Do I not have ears to hear or eyes to see?

Well, thanks again and God bless you.

oh boy :)  I get the idea we're on similar tracks.  But this is so complex, I sometimes despair of being able to assemble the parts in coherent, understandable ways.  As I've attempted to study this, I've noticed all through Scripture sets of threes.  And I think those provide some insight into a LOT of things.  But, to name a few;

1.  seeing, entering, inheriting

2. called, chosen, faithful

3.  slaves, bond-servants, sons

4.  spirit, soul, body

5.  outer court, holy place, holy of holies

6.  gentiles, Jews, the Church

7.  in heaven, on the earth, under the earth

I honestly don't even know where to start in trying to share the correlations (and exclusions!) that come to light when we begin to see the Biblical interactions between these sets of three.  Each of those  "threes" requires a good bit of study time and focus to really begin understanding but it's hard to miss the intersections once you  begin to do the work to lay the foundation. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1
  • Praise God! 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  860
  • Content Per Day:  0.47

The answer is, the heavens and earth will be dissolved on fire. 

2 Peter 3:10 But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up.
11 Seeing then that all these things shall be dissolved, what manner of persons ought ye to be in all holy conversation and godliness,
12 Looking for and hasting unto the coming of the day of God, wherein the heavens being on fire shall be dissolved, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat?
13 Nevertheless we, according to his promise, look for new heavens and a new earth, wherein dwelleth righteousness.
14 Wherefore, beloved, seeing that ye look for such things, be diligent that ye may be found of him in peace, without spot, and blameless.

We do not look on what is here, it is temporary.

We look not at what we see, but only what we do not see..

2 Corinthians 4:18 While we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen: for the things which are seen are temporal; but the things which are not seen are eternal.

Friends with this world is enemy of God, enmity with His Spirit, and this world passes away..

James 4:4 Ye adulterers and adulteresses, know ye not that the friendship of the world is enmity with God? whosoever therefore will be a friend of the world is the enemy of God.

1 John 2:17 And the world passeth away, and the lust thereof: but he that doeth the will of God abideth for ever.

Now the last part, we see what does not pass away, so we see where our life is only, and it is not in what people say to look out for to see on earth, that is them ignoring what is told, because only one thing is to be seen, and that is the thing you cannot see, and if you look for things to see, you will only see heaven and earth and yourselves pass away. 

Matthew 24:35 Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away.

Mark 13:31 Heaven and earth shall pass away: but my words shall not pass away.

Luke 21:33 Heaven and earth shall pass away: but my words shall not pass away.

Revelation 21:1 And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away; and there was no more sea.

Yes I understand about Revelations, I know it's purpose, and everybody who talks about it fulfils it, because it is created for talk. But if anyone is of God, they turn those words that are Spirit and life, into LIVING LIFE in themselves, and that is the Kingdom that does not pass away..

1 John 3:18 My little children, let us NOT LOVE IN WORD, neither in tongue; but in deed and in truth.

1 Corinthians 4:20 For THE KINGDOM OF GOD IS NOT IN WORD, BUT IN POWER.

Luke 8:10 And he said, Unto you it is given to know the mysteries of the kingdom of God: but to others in parables; that seeing they might not see, and hearing they might not understand.

Luke 17:21 Neither shall they say, Lo here! or, lo there! for, behold, the kingdom of God is within you.

Ephesians 1:9 Having made known unto us the mystery of his will, according to his good pleasure which he hath purposed in himself:
10 That in the dispensation of the fulness of times he might gather together in one all things in Christ, both which are in heaven, and which are on earth; even in him:

Colossians 1:27 To whom God would make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles; which is Christ in you, the hope of glory:

Ephesians 2:6 And hath raised us up together, and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus:

Philippians 3:20 For our conversation is in heaven; from whence also we look for the Saviour, the Lord Jesus Christ:

2 Timothy 4:18 And the Lord shall deliver me from every evil work, and will preserve me unto his heavenly kingdom: to whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen.

1 John 5:7 For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one.

John 17:23 I in them, and thou in me, that they may be made perfect in one; and that the world may know that thou hast sent me, and hast loved them, as thou hast loved me.

• Loved it! 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.81
  • Days Won:  226

On 5/31/2019 at 11:57 AM, NickyLouse said:

Heaven is the throne of God Isaiah 66:1, Matthew 5:34-35  All true believers will go to heaven when their life is finished on earth. 

Edited by missmuffet
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  860
  • Content Per Day:  0.47

12 minutes ago, missmuffet said:

Heaven us the throne of God Isaiah 66:1, Matthew 5:34-35  All true believers will go to heaven when their life is finished on earth. 

Our conversation is already in heaven, and we look to there for our Saviour, we look nowhere else, but where our conversation already is. Also raised us up and quickened us together with Him, and made us sit together with Him in heavenly places in Christ Jesus, who dwells in us, as Heaven came to us, and their life is never finished on the earth, they are made for it..

Ephesians 2:6 And hath raised us up together, and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus:

Philippians 3:20 For our conversation is in heaven; from whence also we look for the Saviour, the Lord Jesus Christ:

Romans 8:11 But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you.

Colossians 2:13 And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, hath he quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses;

Matthew 12:28 But if I cast out devils by the Spirit of God, then the kingdom of God is come unto you.

Luke 16:16 The law and the prophets were until John: since that time the kingdom of God is preached, and every man presseth into it.

1 Corinthians 6:19 What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?

John 14:16 And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;
17 Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.
18 I will not leave you comfortless: I WILL COME TO YOU.

• Loved it! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,242
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

If Jesus is our King, then we are part of His Kingdom.  That is now, and forever more.  Should we renounce Him as our King and apostatize,  we will still have to answer to Him and bow to Him as Lord eventually even though we have joined satan's rebellion.  

• Thumbs Up 2