IGNORED

Is Protecting myself using boxing a sin?

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  50
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0

Is it a sin to use boxing as a way to protect myself?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.26
  • Days Won:  115

For me, if I see someone else being attacked and beaten, I will use what God gave me to help them.  If I am being attacked, and there is no means to escape, I will defend myself.  Jesus did say it was time to purchase a sword if you didn't have one, didn't He?

Luke 22:35-36

And He said to them, “When I sent you without money bag, knapsack, and sandals, did you lack anything?”

So they said, “Nothing.”

Then He said to them, “But now, he who has a money bag, let him take it, and likewise a knapsack; and he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,361
  • Content Per Day:  2.35
  • Birthday:  02/03/1953

16 hours ago, Ryan2203 said:

No.

• Thumbs Up 3

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,272
  • Content Per Day:  1.73

17 hours ago, Ryan2203 said:

Please explain what you understand 'sin' is?

Thank you for your Anwsers. God bless

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  839
  • Content Per Day:  0.45

pray about it & see what God wants you to do :)  I think God would allow you to protect yourself if needed :) I ageee that some form of Martial arts may help with self defense but look for a school that is taught by a Christian instructor

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  332
  • Content Per Day:  0.16

In order to get my cardio in, I use a weight bag every once in a while; So I shall answer this near as I see it.

To me, I think the answer is two fold. First, a person should try to avoid violence when necessary; it should only be the last resort. Second, it's a matter of if you wish to subdue your enemy rather than seriously injure them - Getting them to stop is in everyone's interest, but going so far as to beat them either to or near to death is malicious.

Boxing can work, but you must keep in mind that everything about boxing has you aiming for their vital areas, the torso and head. A couple punches to the head can work to disorient someone, but one must never underestimate the damage that blunt force trauma can do. They might not be bleeding visibly, but if you punch good and hard enough, they could be bleeding within. Just picture that fight with Kimbo Slice where he punched James Thompson's ear. You would have to work exclusively on punching their arms and legs if you wanted to subdue them, and whilst I do like my weigh bag, boxing can be a fairly limited thing in an emergency situation. Not to mention that your hands should be padded or else your bare fist will be injured as well.

If you do consider martial arts, I would recommend one that focuses on grappling moves. Try to look up and practice submission grapples, because you wish to subdue rather than seriously injure. One can never forget the use of pepper spray or a tazer; they work very well at subdueing enemies. However, I must slightly protest tazer usage; someone who's doped up or high enough won't react to it, and it has been shown to be inadvisable against people with heart conditions. if I were you, i'd just focus on submission grapples. Put that mugger in a boston crab or something, lol.

On 6/3/2019 at 12:00 PM, dr3032 said:

In order to get my cardio in, I use a weight bag every once in a while; So I shall answer this near as I see it.

To me, I think the answer is two fold. First, a person should try to avoid violence when necessary; it should only be the last resort. Second, it's a matter of if you wish to subdue your enemy rather than seriously injure them - Getting them to stop is in everyone's interest, but going so far as to beat them either to or near to death is malicious.

Boxing can work, but you must keep in mind that everything about boxing has you aiming for their vital areas, the torso and head. A couple punches to the head can work to disorient someone, but one must never underestimate the damage that blunt force trauma can do. They might not be bleeding visibly, but if you punch good and hard enough, they could be bleeding within. Just picture that fight with Kimbo Slice where he punched James Thompson's ear. You would have to work exclusively on punching their arms and legs if you wanted to subdue them, and whilst I do like my weigh bag, boxing can be a fairly limited thing in an emergency situation. Not to mention that your hands should be padded or else your bare fist will be injured as well.

If you do consider martial arts, I would recommend one that focuses on grappling moves. Try to look up and practice submission grapples, because you wish to subdue rather than seriously injure. One can never forget the use of pepper spray or a tazer; they work very well at subdueing enemies. However, I must slightly protest tazer usage; someone who's doped up or high enough won't react to it, and it has been shown to be inadvisable against people with heart conditions. if I were you, i'd just focus on submission grapples. Put that mugger in a boston crab or something, lol.

Thanks, I will look into it 

• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  137
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Birthday:  05/27/1943

I believe that it is perfectly appropriate to use physical force to defend yourself or another who is threatened. That response should not be excessive. In my entire life (I am 76) I have only been in that situation once when I was 2o. It was an attempted mugging by three young thugs. I decked the first guy with one punch and the others ran off. When I got home I had to pick teeth fragments out of my fist and stop the bleeding.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  12
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

Boxing is a sport. If you use it that way then I dont see any problem with that. It is a skill that was given to you. Use it wisely and know your limits. Use it in order to protect yourself and protect other people only. Dont use it for violence, you're making it worst. Plus doing boxing contribute a lot in your health. Hope it helps. :)

• Thumbs Up 1