Sign in to follow this  
Ryan2203

Is Protecting myself using boxing a sin?

this is something you really need to search your heart on and seek God on.  to me its not a sin, someone else may tell you differently. 

really what it boils down to is what is the attitude of your heart on the topic as well as situation to situation. 

If you do decide to pursue it and if you want to learn to defend yourself i would not recommend boxing.  boxers have problems from impact after impact to the head.  seizures is one of the problems.  what i would recommend is mixed martial arts.  san soo is a form of kung fu that is so effective i do not think they do tournaments with this due to how much injury/death will be given.  I have never heard of tournaments using this martial art.  if there is no place available to teach this in your area Jiu-Jitsu or another variant of this martial art is good.  timy jitsu, something like that.  dont know how its spelled.  if thats not available in your area Taekwondo or any of the other korean martial arts is also a good starting point.  I also recommend doing mixed martial arts, learn one and move on to another. 

• Thumbs Up 1

For me, if I see someone else being attacked and beaten, I will use what God gave me to help them.  If I am being attacked, and there is no means to escape, I will defend myself.  Jesus did say it was time to purchase a sword if you didn't have one, didn't He?

Luke 22:35-36

And He said to them, “When I sent you without money bag, knapsack, and sandals, did you lack anything?”

So they said, “Nothing.”

Then He said to them, “But now, he who has a money bag, let him take it, and likewise a knapsack; and he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one.

• Thumbs Up 2

16 hours ago, Ryan2203 said:

Is it a sin to use boxing as a way to protect myself?

No.

• Thumbs Up 3

17 hours ago, Ryan2203 said:

Is it a sin to use boxing as a way to protect myself?

Please explain what you understand 'sin' is?

pray about it & see what God wants you to do :)  I think God would allow you to protect yourself if needed :) I ageee that some form of Martial arts may help with self defense but look for a school that is taught by a Christian instructor

In order to get my cardio in, I use a weight bag every once in a while; So I shall answer this near as I see it.

To me, I think the answer is two fold. First, a person should try to avoid violence when necessary; it should only be the last resort. Second, it's a matter of if you wish to subdue your enemy rather than seriously injure them - Getting them to stop is in everyone's interest, but going so far as to beat them either to or near to death is malicious.

Boxing can work, but you must keep in mind that everything about boxing has you aiming for their vital areas, the torso and head. A couple punches to the head can work to disorient someone, but one must never underestimate the damage that blunt force trauma can do. They might not be bleeding visibly, but if you punch good and hard enough, they could be bleeding within. Just picture that fight with Kimbo Slice where he punched James Thompson's ear. You would have to work exclusively on punching their arms and legs if you wanted to subdue them, and whilst I do like my weigh bag, boxing can be a fairly limited thing in an emergency situation. Not to mention that your hands should be padded or else your bare fist will be injured as well.

If you do consider martial arts, I would recommend one that focuses on grappling moves. Try to look up and practice submission grapples, because you wish to subdue rather than seriously injure. One can never forget the use of pepper spray or a tazer; they work very well at subdueing enemies. However, I must slightly protest tazer usage; someone who's doped up or high enough won't react to it, and it has been shown to be inadvisable against people with heart conditions. if I were you, i'd just focus on submission grapples. Put that mugger in a boston crab or something, lol.

On 6/3/2019 at 12:00 PM, dr3032 said:

In order to get my cardio in, I use a weight bag every once in a while; So I shall answer this near as I see it.

To me, I think the answer is two fold. First, a person should try to avoid violence when necessary; it should only be the last resort. Second, it's a matter of if you wish to subdue your enemy rather than seriously injure them - Getting them to stop is in everyone's interest, but going so far as to beat them either to or near to death is malicious.

Boxing can work, but you must keep in mind that everything about boxing has you aiming for their vital areas, the torso and head. A couple punches to the head can work to disorient someone, but one must never underestimate the damage that blunt force trauma can do. They might not be bleeding visibly, but if you punch good and hard enough, they could be bleeding within. Just picture that fight with Kimbo Slice where he punched James Thompson's ear. You would have to work exclusively on punching their arms and legs if you wanted to subdue them, and whilst I do like my weigh bag, boxing can be a fairly limited thing in an emergency situation. Not to mention that your hands should be padded or else your bare fist will be injured as well.

If you do consider martial arts, I would recommend one that focuses on grappling moves. Try to look up and practice submission grapples, because you wish to subdue rather than seriously injure. One can never forget the use of pepper spray or a tazer; they work very well at subdueing enemies. However, I must slightly protest tazer usage; someone who's doped up or high enough won't react to it, and it has been shown to be inadvisable against people with heart conditions. if I were you, i'd just focus on submission grapples. Put that mugger in a boston crab or something, lol.

Thanks, I will look into it 

I believe that it is perfectly appropriate to use physical force to defend yourself or another who is threatened. That response should not be excessive. In my entire life (I am 76) I have only been in that situation once when I was 2o. It was an attempted mugging by three young thugs. I decked the first guy with one punch and the others ran off. When I got home I had to pick teeth fragments out of my fist and stop the bleeding.

• Thumbs Up 2

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Behold
      "having a form of godliness"
      So. what is this?   What is this AS compared to being saved - born again?
      Its very simple....
      a "form of godliness" is religion. All Religion.   All Religion is a "form" of Godliness that isn't actually true Godliness.     And what is the difference between Religion and Christianity?     Well, Religion is man's self effort to touch God or become God.    Whereas Christianity is God coming to Man, as a divine Man,  to take man back home.    Religion is man's self righteous effort to get in touch with God, and Christianity is God on a Cross touching humanity with the Blood of Jesus, the Righteousness of God,  and the Love of God..
       Its, "self righteousness", which is Religion.    Look at that phrase..."self righteousness"......"self".."right'.......trying to make "self" "right" with God.......by SELF.   (Legalism)   By works, by lifestyle, by commandment keeping, and worrying about keeping the law to TRY to make "self" = "righteous".
      See it?    All Religion is an effort to ither become Divine, or to join Divinity, by SELF RIGHTEOUS EFFORT... = trying to make "self" "right"......= Self-Righteousness. = Religion.
      And THAT.......all that is Religion, and it is what 2nd Timothy is defining as "a FORM of Godliness", that "denies the Power of God".
      So, what is the Power of God that imparts Godliness?   It IS the only and sole means and method that causes you to become born again.    This is being SAVED.... This is...God giving you HIS very Righteousness, which is the defining idea  you are to comprehend so that you perfectly understand WHAT the Power of God is, exactly and in Truth.
      The power of God, is the ability of God to recreate you as a "new creation" "in Christ".  So, this, once applied to you, is not a "form of Godliness", ... Its not self righteous effort .....Its not Religion, and its not something that you can  do for yourself.   Its something that God did for you on a Cross and then offers this Power, this Redemption, this BLOOD ATONEMENT, as a "free Gift", and when you by Faith trust in Christ, God then delivers the literal Power of God thru Christ that recreates you as born again and a "new Creation in Christ".
      To simplify......  
      "A form of Godliness" is Religion..... is Legalism....is trusting in SELF, instead of trusting totally in CHRIST to save you and keep you saved.
      Listen....if you are not trusting in Christ Alone to keep you saved, then you are not really trusting in Christ.    Thats a fact.
      Real Godliness is Redemption.   Real Godliness is God making you righteous and keeping you righteous, =  through the Blood of Jesus.
      "A form of Godliness" is a person trying to be good enough, live holy enough, or reach high enough by self righteousness, as THEIR RELIGIOUS EFFORT to become one with God, and in doing this they are "denying the real power of God" which is......The Cross and God as Christ on it as total eternal Redemption offered as a free GIFT...= "the GIFT of Righteousness". .  = (Grace).
    • By chargedbyfa1th
      Shalom..
      Is it sinful to drink alcoholic beverages and wine? I don't understand about this..If you know and have any Bible verses related to it please quote them too..
      Thank you..
      Jesus bless you
    • By Reinitin
      What is sin?
      Please no commentary no opinion straight up clear verses from Gods Words. Let's listen to God's word not peoples opinions.
    • By Sunflower86
      Hi everyone. This past weekend following into the week ive been dealing with a lot. My boyfriend and I are both believers and followers of Christ. He struggles with addiction, which I have been praying about and seeing God work in his life. He has been doing very well as far as drugs up until this weekend. He has a friend who does not believe in God and openly denounces God. This friend is always supplying him with drugs and bad advice. Everytime they hang out my boyfriend will back peddle so much in life and in his walk with God. This friend has such a dark presence that he will tend to sway my boyfriends belifs a little bit. This weekend he has been on drugs to another degree that ive never seen before. I have been fasting and praying for him constantly to combat this. Today my employer let me know that I wouldnt have to come in out of the blue, which i was relived by. As i was praying i kept getting distracted and my prayers would just stop. This happened about 2 or 3 times when suddenly I got up and walked toward the dresser that he rested his phone on. Before i knew it I picked up his phone and saw that he had gps open to an address very far into the city. I looked to see the last app he had open and turns out he had made arrangements with a prostitute and have since found out that he had met with one yesterday. Ive been fasting and praying for him as well as our relationship. I believe that God wanted me to see what i saw today. What do i do??
    • By Ryan2203
      If you divorce or get married twice is that a sin?