nickm727

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  46
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0

6 And He said to me, ‘Solomon your son is the one who will build My house and My courts, for I have chosen him as My son, and I will be his Father. 7 I will establish his kingdom forever, if he resolutely carries out My commandments and ordinances, as is being done this day.’ 

compared to

Hebrews 1:5 - For unto which of the angels said he at any time, Thou art my Son, this day have I begotten thee? And again, I will be to him a Father, and he shall be to me a Son?

this is an obvious contradiction

Edited by nickm727

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  105
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,803
  • Content Per Day:  1.29
  • Days Won:  2

Nope.  It's a fulfillment of prophecy.  Lot's of Old Testament passages in Psalms and elsewhere have dual meaning.  An immediate one and a future one about Christ.

The first one you cite - 1 Chronicles 28:6 - is a repetition of 2 Samuel 7:14.  When I was teaching 1-2 Chronicles in my community Bible study, it was hard to focus - even for me, the teacher - as 1 and 2 Chronicles is a repeat of 1 Samuel - 2 Kings.  There are some genealogies and some historical differences, but it's sort of like Deuteronomy - a second giving of the law to a new generation.

So I'll put 2 Samuel 7:14/1 Chronicles 28:6 in the same vein since they say the same thing.

God is going to make Solomon king of Israel.  

•  He will make Solomon his "son" and God will be his "Father".  And when Solomon commits sin, that verse says, God will punish him.
  •  In a sense we are all God's sons and daughters - those who are saved - and he chastises us when we err because he loves us.

Hebrews is a book written to, well....Hebrews.  The author teaches how Jesus is superior to priests, angels, and everything else.  Hebrew 1:5 cites 2 Samuel 7:14 AND Psalm 2:7.

• While the fallen man, King Solomon, was a son of the Father - in the same sense all Christians are - he was fallible.
  •  Jesus Christ fulfills these statements perfectly, was and is infallible, and is the future sense of the past prophecy.

No contradiction here.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,352
  • Content Per Day:  0.63
  • Days Won:  1

Hi Nick,

Where is the "contradiction" (sorry - it isn't that obvious to me)?

Hebrews, chapter 1 teaches that Jesus is better than the angels, because God has never declared an angel to be His Son. 1 Chron 28 teaches that God will conditionally be a Father to Solomon (who is not an angel).

What am I missing?

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  904
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,642
  • Content Per Day:  2.03
  • Days Won:  9

4 hours ago, nickm727 said:

6 And He said to me, ‘Solomon your son is the one who will build My house and My courts, for I have chosen him as My son, and I will be his Father. 7 I will establish his kingdom forever, if he resolutely carries out My commandments and ordinances, as is being done this day.’ 

compared to

Hebrews 1:5 - For unto which of the angels said he at any time, Thou art my Son, this day have I begotten thee? And again, I will be to him a Father, and he shall be to me a Son?

this is an obvious contradiction

unless it was prophetic of the Prince of Peace rather than Solomon whose name is derived from Peace (shalom / shlomo).