• Group:  Members *
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  83
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  341
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Days Won:  0

On 6/3/2019 at 1:36 AM, mlbrokish said:
I have had this question for some time and posed it to a friend the other day, although worded somewhat differently...

How much of our life is predetermined by God and how much is free to choose?

what did u have for breakfast? was it your choice or determined, what did u wear to today, did u choose your own clothes or did God choose them for u, where did go to work to day? is that a job u chose, do u have a medical condition, that's fate, do u have siblings, that's determined by God, who are u parents, there is no choice in that.

• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,361
  • Content Per Day:  2.35
  • Birthday:  02/03/1953

8 hours ago, mlbrokish said:

Then I wonder if it is truly 100% our choosing?? or  is there something more that I am not understanding?

I only question it because I really want to learn from others' interpretations.

mlb

First of all, I don't fully understand the Lord's plan. It just makes sense to me that he has a plan for each of us that will make us very happy. However, to realize that plan, we need to do things his way. We all sin and fall short. Certainly the Lord takes that into account. He will do everything he can to lead us into a life that will make us very happy.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Firm Foundation said:

It is God's will.  Woman was created to be a helpmeet to a man.  That is why God said he created woman.  It was always God's will, but before the fall, there was no strife.  The curse brought the division and strife that required God to say that the man was to rule over his wife.

That would be great for men - not so great for women - it seems to me. I think the Lord is just and created us all with the same rights.

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,280
  • Content Per Day:  1.25
  • Days Won:  2

1 minute ago, johnthebaptist said:

That would be great for men - not so great for women - it seems to me. I think the Lord is just and created us all with the same rights.

I believe what the Bible says.  I don't go by personal feelings.

1 hour ago, Firm Foundation said:

I believe what the Bible says.  I don't go by personal feelings.

I go by what Jesus says - love your neighbor as yourself.

2 minutes ago, johnthebaptist said:

I go by what Jesus says - love your neighbor as yourself.

That is only part of the Bible.  

7 minutes ago, Firm Foundation said:

That is only part of the Bible.  

So who is your boss, the Lord or the Bible? You can't have two masters.

Just now, johnthebaptist said:

So who is your boss, the Lord or the Bible? You can't have two masters.

The Bible tells me what my boss wants me to do.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  15
  • Topic Count:  25
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  532
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Birthday:  04/10/1972

3 hours ago, johnthebaptist said:

While I certainly appreciate equal rights, as a woman, I think there is a balance of pros and cons for women and men, regardless how or why God says man is to rule over his wife. The bible has many examples of women being honored by their husbands, treated with dignity, etc. 

I found this article, which sheds some light on the subject:

The Biblical Portrait of Women: Setting the Record Straight at  Grace To You - gty.org

From the very first chapter of the Bible, we are taught that women, like men, bear the stamp of God's own image (Genesis 1:275:1-2)—men and women were created equal. Women play prominent roles in many key biblical narratives. Wives are seen as venerated partners and cherished companions to their husbands, not merely slaves or pieces of household furniture (Genesis 2:20-24Proverbs 19:14Ecclesiastes 9:9). At Sinai, God commanded children to honor both father and mother (Exodus 20:12). 

read the rest of the writing at the website mentioned above for more thoughts on the topic.

What do you think?

mlb

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  60
  • Content Per Day:  0.03

There is no predetermined outcome for us, there is for this World. There is a difference there, the things in God's control he already has planned.  That is not lacking in free will, that is like us getting up in the morning with a "to-do list" and doing it (the only difference is our plans can be changed because we don't control anything in life, whereas God has power over everything is he can make sure things are done).  God knew he was going to create man, he knew man would be temped so he knew there had to be a law, he knew man would not be able to be perfect so he knew he would need to send Jesus Christ to die, and he knows some people are just evil so he will have a Judgement Day and Lake of Fire.

Jeremiah 1:5 Before I formed thee in the belly I knew thee; and before thou camest forth out of the womb I sanctified thee, and I ordained thee a prophet unto the nations.

The concept that confuses people, is not that God controls our actions, but that he knows everything is he already knows our choices and who we will be.  That does not mean he made us that way or that he preplanned it, only that God knows everything from before creation to after.  If it was predetermined, then God would never have created satan or the fallen angels because he knew they would turn evil, he also would never have created any of the wicked people.  If there it was predetermined, he would create everyone he knew would go to eternity and the first day of creation would be the first day of eternal life and the flesh age would never have existed, but that is no fair or just to prejudge someone so the Father in his righteousness let it play out based on everyone's free will and after they show themselves to be evil he can judge them as he points to their life "See this evil you did?  This is why you must die".

Jeremiah 1:6 Then said I, Ah, Lord God! behold, I cannot speak: for I am a child.

Jeremiah 1:7 But the Lord said unto me, Say not, I am a child: for thou shalt go to all that I shall send thee, and whatsoever I command thee thou shalt speak.

When God spoke to Jeremiah, did he say 'Yes Lord God I will speak all you desire me too, because I feel and know I am destined to do this!'  Not at all, Jeremiah refused to speak for God just as Moses refused to speak for God, then God got mad at them both "Say not, I am a child" for thou shall go to all that I shall send thee".  That was God's nice way of saying, 'Don't you dare tell me no, do you know who you are talking too?!' God had to visit Jeremiah twice to convince him and show him that he could do it, and that God would be with him so there was nothing to fear.  That is not predetermined as God did not snap his finger and Jeremiah turned into a robot 'Yes Lord, all you command I shall do!'

Jeremiah 29:23 Because they have committed villany in Israel, and have committed adultery with their neighbours' wives, and have spoken lying words in my name, which I have not commanded them; even I know, and am a witness, saith the Lord.

God knows and is a witness of our actions, but he does not judge us before we do them.  He knows it will happen, but he gives everyone a fair chance to choose him and to be good, but everyone has free will to be good or to be evil and after we make our choice we are judged so why the White Throne of Judgement is not until the end of this age when all has been said and done.

• Loved it! 1