• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  12
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

On 6/5/2019 at 5:36 PM, GandalfTheWise said:

It might be helpful to get a big picture of what the process of salvation looks like.  This is a summary of what most Christians believe (though they often use different words).

1. God's Spirit draws us to Him in some way.  I've heard many testimonies about the different ways He does this.  Sometimes it's just a nagging sense of our place in the world.  Sometimes it's a concern about death or something.  Sometimes it's a sudden sense of awe or wonder at the world around us and wondering where it came from.  Sometimes it's a sense that we should do something like read a Bible or go to church.   It's basically where we go from not thinking much about spiritual things to starting to have awareness or concern for spiritual things.  God's Spirit is starting to make us aware that He is there.

2. There is a point of conversion.  Most Christians call this "being saved", "being born-again", "accepting Christ", "becoming a Christian" or other such phrases.  From our side of things, we repent and believe.  Repent means that we become aware that we cannot save ourselves by any good works or rituals or anything we do and that the only way we can approach God is through Christ's atoning work.  Believe means that we simply trust God and ask Him to do this for us.   From God's side, He does two main things.  He forgives us of all we've done and He makes us into a new creation in Christ.   The testimonies I've heard from many Christians over decades have similarities and differences.  For some it was deeply emotional and powerful; for others it was more low key.   Some had a powerful sense of God and His doing something;  others had a sense of something happening.  I've heard a few that didn't feel much at that point but did later.   

3. There is the ongoing work of transformation.  At conversion, God puts a new spiritual nature into us.  As we grow spiritually, our new nature starts to flourish and suppress our old nature.  Fruit (see Galatians 5:22-23) starts to grow in our feelings, attitudes, and actions.  We more and more start to see sin and other things vanish from our lives.  Our trust, confidence, faith, and assurance in God grows as we walk with Him and see His hand in our lives and others' lives.   There's a lot more I'd like to mention here, but will leave it out for brevity's sake.

4. At some point, after our death or the Lord's return, we'll receive a new eternal body of some type and live eternally with God and others believers.  As a practical matter, Christians do not have a completely clear picture of the exact timing and how this works and have been debating the details of this for centuries.  The Bible contains hints and statements about this but not a detailed itinerary of what exactly happens when and in what order.

There are two things that young Christians almost universally struggle with and worry about.  Those are doubts and sins.  From all the testimonies I've heard from Christians in over 40 years, this seems universal.   One of the problems is that young Christians often hear some Christians talk in absolute terms as if any doubt or any sin is evidence of not being a Christian.  Some Christians emphasize assurance (meaning having no doubts about our place with God) as a high priority.  Others emphasize holiness (meaning stopping sinning and doing good works) as a high priority.   My observation of many testimonies is that assurance increases and doubts decrease as we grow and mature spiritually.  Similarly is that holiness increases and sin decreases as we grow and mature.  These are things that naturally grow in our lives. 

One of the things that is difficult to work through is that Christians often use subjective words to describe what God is doing in their testimonies.  In one sense it is like trying to explain sight to a blind person or hearing to a deaf person.  You often have to resort to analogies.  The best analogy I can give about my conversion was that I felt a warm feeling inside that I hadn't expected and had never felt before.

So, to your pressing question, "was I actually saved".   I think the answer to that lies in this.  Did you have a sense or feeling that God started a work in your life and something felt different?  Most testimonies from Christians I've heard allude to that in some way that they know something happened.  From some it sounds like the heavens opened and angels sang, and from others, it was far less grandiose and moving but something happened nonetheless.  But the main thing is this, if this was something God did, it will start changing you over time.  If this was simply saying a few words and feeling a few emotional tingles, it will largely be forgotten and little will change.   However, if God did truly make you into a new creation in Christ on that night, you will start to change over time.   As a rough analogy, if our life is like a garden, conversion is where God plants the seeds, and the rest of our life is where He tends the gardens and the seeds grow.  We might not see all the sprouts at once, but they will start to show up and grow.

A few things I'd suggest are starting a regular devotional life and finding some solid Christians to hang around.  Set aside some time each day for prayer and Bible reading in a way that works for you.   My opinion is a good start would be to read the gospel of John followed by the gospel of Luke and then Acts.  We're all different so figure out what time works best for you and what type of reading schedule works best for you.  Second, find a good youth group and/or church to become part of.  As a blunt comment, not all churches are necessarily spiritually healthy.  For a number of decades, some mainline churches have been increasingly filled with people who are effectively agnostics and atheists for whom religious symbols and ceremonies bring emotional comfort in the world but aren't real to them.  Here is the general test I would use.   Find Christians who are comfortable and willing to share their testimony, who are comfortable praying with you and others, who regularly read their Bibles, and who show behavior consistent with verses such as Galatians 5:22-23 (The fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, ....).   Don't necessarily look for Christians who follow strict rules, but find those who seem to have a vibrant growing spiritual walk with God.

Hi! I know this is late but thank you for your response. The day after I believed I was saved I really felt that God had confirmed it within my heart, just took a little longer with me than with some. Within the last almost 2 months since it happened I feel more trusting and connected with God. Your advice is very good and I will be sure to keep it in mind. Thanks so much for your response it means a lot =}.

• Thanks 1

On 6/5/2019 at 6:31 PM, BeauJangles said:

Yes, Peachy, you did. We can't go on feelings when it comes to accepting Christ. These feelings can come and go depending on different circumstantial things, and can not always be trusted. I'm really glad you finally came to this decision in life, and shared it here. It makes a good public statement of faith. Hopefully, it can also be shared with others you know personally. This will help to confirm it in your heart and mind. It would be good to begin reading the Word of God, as this will help you to grow and know the Lord better. Start with the gospels, and proceed on. Welcome to Worthy by the way, and God bless!

Thank you so much for your kind response and welcoming! I am very glad too and was excited to share it with family. I will certainly be sure to start trying to spend more time in God's word. Have a wonderful day =}!

On 6/7/2019 at 9:43 AM, gordon7777 said:

If we ask God and the devil this same question, what can the answers be ?

The Lord wants us to have fear of Him, the devil wants to be like him, without fear.

The devil wants us to be self seeking in selfish saving of our lives and ourselves, the Lord wants us to be charity, which seeks no her own and lays her life down for your friends. To also lose your life for the sake of Christ and the Gospel.

The devil wants us exalted, and Christ preaches lowliness, so the last shall be first and the first last.

The devil wants man and ourselves to be the judge of our soul refusing to be bowed down, God is the judge who shall have us all bowed down to be judged for every word we spoke and every deed we did, it is future tense, the devil has it be present tense.

The devil gives us peace of this world, Christ gives us peace of Heaven, the peace of heaven is to not need to question these things, it is contentness, and the devils peace is to gather all we can for ourselves, because the devil thinks gain is godliness.

Jude 1:12 These are spots in your feasts of charity, when they feast with you, feeding themselves without fear: clouds they are without water, carried about of winds; trees whose fruit withereth, without fruit, twice dead, plucked up by the roots;
1 Peter 1:17 And if ye call on the Father, who without respect of persons judgeth according to every man's work, pass the time of your sojourning here in fear:

1 Corinthians 13:5 Doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil;
1 Corinthians 10:33 Even as I please all men in all things, not seeking mine own profit, but the profit of many, that they may be saved.
1 Corinthians 10:24 Let no man seek his own, but every man another's wealth.
Philippians 2:21 For all seek their own, not the things which are Jesus Christ's.
Mark 8:35 For whosoever will save his life shall lose it; but whosoever shall lose his life for my sake and the gospel's, the same shall save it.

Luke 14:And he put forth a parable to those which were bidden, when he marked how they chose out the chief rooms; saying unto them.When thou art bidden of any man to a wedding, sit not down in the highest room; lest a more honourable man than thou be bidden of him;And he that bade thee and him come and say to thee, Give this man place; and thou begin with shame to take the lowest room.10 But when thou art bidden, go and sit down in the lowest room; that when he that bade thee cometh, he may say unto thee, Friend, go up higher: then shalt thou have worship in the presence of them that sit at meat with thee.11 For whosoever exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted.

Matthew 20:10 But when the first came, they supposed that they should have received more; and they likewise received every man a penny.11 And when they had received it, they murmured against the goodman of the house,12 Saying, These last have wrought but one hour, and thou hast made them equal unto us, which have borne the burden and heat of the day.13 But he answered one of them, and said, Friend, I do thee no wrong: didst not thou agree with me for a penny?14 Take that thine is, and go thy way: I will give unto this last, even as unto thee.15 Is it not lawful for me to do what I will with mine own? Is thine eye evil, because I am good?16 So the last shall be first, and the first last: for many be called, but few chosen.

Acts 20:35 I have shewed you all things, how that so labouring ye ought to support the weak, and to remember the words of the Lord Jesus, how he said, It is more blessed to give than to receive.
1 Timothy 6:5 Perverse disputings of men of corrupt minds, and destitute of the truth, supposing that gain is godliness: from such withdraw thyself.
1 Timothy 6:6 But godliness with contentment is great gain.

Romans 14:10 But why dost thou judge thy brother? or why dost thou set at nought thy brother? for we shall all stand before the judgment seat of Christ.11 For it is written, As I live, saith the Lord, every knee shall bow to me, and every tongue shall confess to God.12 So then every one of us shall give account of himself to God.

Matthew 12:36 But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment.37 For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned.

Thank you for your many responses throughout this post gordon it is much appreciated. I know for a fact now that what I experienced that day was salvation. Thank you for quoting Bible verses. When dealing with such questions it is always best to look to the Lord's word. Have a wonderful day and sorry for the late response :).

On 6/19/2019 at 12:05 PM, lovethelord said:

Hi PeachySunrise,

I agree with Diane32, you sound like a very mature teen and your post was well written.  I know it is common for believers to doubt their salvation at one time or another (having done so a few times myself. Even after being baptised in water (fully emersed), I would shower and ask God to wash me clean and accept me as His.  I understand you grew up hearing about other's people's experience ie. feeling peaceful, but everyone is unique and has different feelings. Trust Jesus, not your feelings.  My own conversion was gradual and one day i accepted the Lord and felt immediate better. Next, came the tough part, which was trusting in the leading of the Holy Spirit and not my own selfish needs, delving into God's Word and trying to be obedient and bear fruit.  The fact that you are concerned about your salvation sounds like your saved to me. No one who didn't belong to Jesus would be concerned about it or care about the things of God. Live out your faith and put it into practice and I believe God will settle your mind and bring peace and confirmation to your heart. 

Thank you for the kind compliment! I know for a fact now that what I experienced that day was definitely salvation. He confirmed it within my heart the day after it happened. Writing this and remembering that day brings me great joy. Thank you for sharing your experience, sorry for such a late response, and have a nice day :D!

• 11 months later...

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  1,176
  • Content Per Day:  0.85
  • Birthday:  04/29/1987

On 6/3/2019 at 5:02 PM, PeachySunrise said:

I am definitely not the most faithful person but I repented of sins and told him I was ready to accept him as my lord and savior. I didn’t feel entirely ready but realized that I am never going to be perfectly ready to accept him. I tried to let go of my fear surrounding salvation and after I felt I was finished I said amen and felt that a weight was lifted off of me. That feeling in my heart was gone and I felt light. However, although I felt light I was like “uh, so did I just get saved? This isn’t exactly how I pictured getting saved felt like.” All of my life I have heard that once people get saved they feel peaceful and just know they are saved. However the fact that I was questioning the fact on rather I was saved right after that leads me to believe that that may have not have been salvation. I know it can be different for everybody but I am just kinda confused. I am not really doubting the experience just wondering if that is what it is supposed to be like. It was nice and all but I think if I was actually saved I would "feel it in my heart." It’s been a few hours and I just feel like it’s a regular night. Was I actually saved or not? Some kind of help would be lovely, sorry for the long story and thanks a lot =).

I dont think you were saved. Being saved is a lot bigger than just doing certain things and going to church, for example to feel it in your heart can cause a problem because the bible says the heart deceives and is desperately wicked. You will know if are truly saved by being faithful and following scripture. You wouldnt need to do everything, for example always give to the poor, but you would need to follow the core values. Loving all, Loving Jesus and following his teaching, plus the things Christians do nowadays and have reverence towards God. It is not possible to be truly saved then backslide.