How can we forgive others?

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  50
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0

14 “For if you forgive other people when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. 15 But if you do not forgive others their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins.” -Matthew 6:14-15

How can someone forgive a person that murdered one of their loved ones? 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.95
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

1 hour ago, Ryan2203 said:

14 “For if you forgive other people when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. 15 But if you do not forgive others their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins.” -Matthew 6:14-15

As this scripture from these words of Jesus indicates, forgiveness is a commandment, and not merely a suggestion. Concerning your question however, it would prove to be most difficult at best.   

Edited by BeauJangles

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  7,689
  • Content Per Day:  2.41
  • Days Won:  20

1 hour ago, Ryan2203 said:

First,   just do this because the Father in heaven says to do this.

He is the One also Who supplies the willingness and the ability to,  but the choice is still yours to make,   willingly and joyously obediently as God enables/provides/ accomplishes salvation....

The same way Corrie ten Boom did after surviving, and while in,  the nazi death camps that slaughtered her father and family and friends and neighbors and millions of others in the space of just a few years.

See Corrie ten Boom online testimonies,  some on you tube (ignore the hosts ,  just watch Corrie herself) ,

some in /on other sites,  quotes of her letter(s).

Edited by simplejeff
  • This is Worthy 1

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

2 hours ago, Rick_Parker said:

You try, over and over again, and pray for that person.

Hi Rick :th_wave:

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,272
  • Content Per Day:  1.73
  • Days Won:  0

12 hours ago, Ryan2203 said:

What everyone forget is that to get right with God repentance was an essential part of sacrificing for ones sins. So much so that it did not need to be mentioned.

Read Luke 17:3+4.

While we Must forgive anyone who repents, there is no requirement Anyehere in scripture for us to forgive those who do not repent.

So what do we do.

Like Jesus on the cross, he did not forgive but handed his murders over to God, we do the same.

We tell God about the incident, how it has affected us, our feelings, anger, helplessness, desire for vengence etc etc etc and ask God to deal with the offender and us.

Like God forgiveness for sins is there, waiting for sinners to repent, so we Must be ready to forgive when they repent.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,784
  • Content Per Day:  6.23
  • Days Won:  58

12 hours ago, Ryan2203 said:

I have been in that situation. My brother in law, sweet gentle Christian man, was murdered a few years ago. 

I forgave his killer because Jesus said to forgive. It was not easy and I had to ask the Lord over and over again to soften my hard heart and help me forgive. I also prayed for the salvation of the killer. And still pray when I remember to. 

Forgiving someone isnt a passive act. It is an action. You commit to forgiving someone because that is what we are supposed to do. And you ask the Lord to help you forgive. It can be done. 

• This is Worthy 1
  • Loved it! 2

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  40,788
  • Content Per Day:  7.95
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

For me it is His Word that has set me free from the influence of this place... why when this that ends should motivate actions when that which is forever is ignored!
Matthew 22:37 (NKJV)

[37] Jesus said to him, ‘You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind.’ [38] “This is the first and great commandment. [39] “And the second is like it: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ [40] “On these two commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets.”

The righteousness of faith demands only the essence of obedience without any other baggage from this place....

• Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Content Count:  6,726
  • Content Per Day:  2.92
  • Days Won:  5

I stumbled across this the other day....though it might be useful in this discussion ....

If you forgive men when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive men their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins. (Mat 6:14-15)

This is one of the most-quoted passages in the Bible and it is vintage law. It is a killer scripture. It is not good news. This verse should make us shudder for it says that our forgiveness hinges on our ability to forgive others and we are poor forgivers indeed. Men sin against us repeatedly. Have we honestly forgiven them all? What if we miss one? And what do we say to those who have been raped and abused? What do you say to a young child who has been molested? “Sweetie, you need to forgive that evil man otherwise God won’t forgive you.” That’s not grace. That’s the condemning ministry of the law in full bloom. How do you forgive the unforgiveable? You can’t! Then you’re in trouble. The law condemns you as an unforgiver. Now you’re beginning to recognize your need for grace and this is a good thing.

under grace , we are already forgiven.....our new motive to forgive is because God has forgiven wretches like us, why should we not forgive others?

• Praise God! 1