• Topic Count:  92
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,158
  • Content Per Day:  0.67
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  11/10/1961

19 hours ago, Who me said:

How desperate are you for work?

If that is the only job then take it, if there is a choice go for the other option.

It's as Walla said, guys buying beer etc after work is one thing but those living in a semi permanent state of drunkeness another.

I'll also add that this happened early in my sobriety - and it was about survival: as in pay the rent or be homeless (again) and so I had little choice. I still smoked at that point too. Survival mode tends to focus the mind like nothing else. The only way I would consider a job like that again would be if I were backed into the same survival corner and that was the only honest job available. Being homeless in Phoenix, AZ in the summer is *not* an option. Tried that . . . would not willingly do it again.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  9

20 minutes ago, Blood Bought 1953 said:

What about those who work in the distilleries ,the beer manufacturers , the truck drivers that deliver Demon rum, the gasoline pump worker who put gasoline in the trucks.The mechanic that works on the truck  or the guy that sold the tools to the mechanic that fixes the sin- spreading trucks.Who provides the steel that make the tools that enable the mechanic  to fix the trucks that haul the beer that wind up on the shelves.......to be continued......

Alcohol is a chemical compound and is not a problem in and of itself. People's using it too excess is a big problem.  Alcohol is not condemned in Scripture - but drunkenness is roundly condemned through out Scripture. Putting a stumbling block before a weaker brother or sister is condemned also. Paul said everyone should be convinced in their own minds, which I would take as having their own personal convictions about it.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,280
  • Content Per Day:  1.25
  • Days Won:  2

38 minutes ago, Blood Bought 1953 said:

What about those who work in the distilleries ,the beer manufacturers , the truck drivers that deliver Demon rum, the gasoline pump worker who put gasoline in the trucks.The mechanic that works on the truck  or the guy that sold the tools to the mechanic that fixes the sin- spreading trucks.Who provides the steel that make the tools that enable the mechanic  to fix the trucks that haul the beer that wind up on the shelves.......to be continued......

The question was about how individuals would feel about working in a liquor store, not if it was a sin.  I wouldn't feel right about doing it, but that doesn't mean I am condemning those who do.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  593
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  55,875
  • Content Per Day:  7.55
  • Days Won:  271

Give strong drink to the one who is perishing, and wine to those in bitter distress;let them drink and forget their poverty and remember their misery no more. - Proverbs 31:6-7 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Proverbs31:6-7&version=ESV

• Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,784
  • Content Per Day:  6.23
  • Days Won:  58

1 hour ago, walla299 said:

I'll also add that this happened early in my sobriety - and it was about survival: as in pay the rent or be homeless (again) and so I had little choice. I still smoked at that point too. Survival mode tends to focus the mind like nothing else. The only way I would consider a job like that again would be if I were backed into the same survival corner and that was the only honest job available. Being homeless in Phoenix, AZ in the summer is *not* an option. Tried that . . . would not willingly do it again.

In the news as we hit 100 degrees today .... a homeless guy was found dead today from the heat. No other details, but he is the first heat related death in phoenix this year. 

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,280
  • Content Per Day:  1.25
  • Days Won:  2

29 minutes ago, other one said:

Give strong drink to the one who is perishing, and wine to those in bitter distress;let them drink and forget their poverty and remember their misery no more. - Proverbs 31:6-7 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Proverbs31:6-7&version=ESV

And yet drunkards will not inherit the kingdom of God.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  6,726
  • Content Per Day:  2.91
  • Days Won:  5

4 hours ago, Firm Foundation said:

And yet drunkards will not inherit the kingdom of God.

It sure is easy to  single out the poor old drunk...his sins are so obvious.Not so obvious are all of the liars out there.....Like you and I. Paul said Thieves ain’t going to inherit the Kingdom either, yet we know one thief who is in Heaven right now.And another thief who is in hell as we speak .What if it had been two drunks on the Cross? Or two liars?    

This motley crew of sinners, as Paul said can not inherit the Kingdom.Why not? Thieves , liars and drunkards don’t remain thieves,liars and drunkards.Lucky for us, God is in the business of taking the unrighteous drunk or liar and transforming them into Sons.The instant they “ come to  Jesus” as the thief on the Cross did, they are a “ new Creation”

Paul said no thieves in the Kingdom so It is the same thing as if Jesus said it.But we know for a fact that there is a thief there today.Therefore, the repentant thief could no longer be  considered a  thief— after coming to Jesus he was a “ righteous,”forgiven Son . The other thief, remained a thief- period.He and all of  his unrepentant type will be judged accordingly.Jesus took upon Himself the Judgement Of the contrite thief.

Edited by Blood Bought 1953
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 2

• Followers:  52
  • Topic Count:  1,010
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  12,206
  • Content Per Day:  1.79
  • Days Won:  92

3 hours ago, ayin jade said:

In the news as we hit 100 degrees today .... a homeless guy was found dead today from the heat. No other details, but he is the first heat related death in phoenix this year. 

I don't know how that poor soul and other homeless ever survive in that Phoenix heat.   When I visited family in Phoenix near to Summer, I could hardly walk briefly outside.   Heat like an oven...feel like your brain is baking.   Saw a mailman around noon.... don't know how he managed.

As for the op, I wouldn't want to work in a liquor store but if someone is desperate for work, I can understand them doing that temporarily.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  9

19 hours ago, Debp said:

I don't know how that poor soul and other homeless ever survive in that Phoenix heat.   When I visited family in Phoenix near to Summer, I could hardly walk briefly outside.   Heat like an oven...feel like your brain is baking.   Saw a mailman around noon.... don't know how he managed.

As for the op, I wouldn't want to work in a liquor store but if someone is desperate for work, I can understand them doing that temporarily.

I worked construction when I first moved here in the mid-90s. We started early, around 5-6am, and spent most of the work day outside - the body gets used to it, just like the folks in the Middle East. Long sleeves and a hat help a lot. It helps if you start in the spring and then your body can adapt as the temps warm toward summer. Otherwise its "welcome to the toaster oven!"  :laugh:

I kept my apartment a/c at around 85-90 at one point because anything lower was just too cold. I've learned that comfort can be relative after dealing with 140F temps in Saudi Arabia during the first Gulf War. 116F is hot, but not nearly as bad as that! 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

• Followers:  52
  • Topic Count:  1,010
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  12,206
  • Content Per Day:  1.79
  • Days Won:  92

5 minutes ago, walla299 said:

I worked construction when I first moved here in the mid-90s. We started early, around 5-6am, and spent most of the work day outside - the body gets used to it, just like the folks in the Middle East. Long sleeves and a hat help a lot. It helps if you start in the spring and then your body can adapt as the temps warm toward summer. Otherwise its "welcome to the toaster oven!"  :laugh:

I kept my apartment a/c at around 85-90 at one point because anything lower was just too cold. I've learned that comfort can be relative after dealing with 140F temps in Saudi Arabia during the first Gulf War. 116F is hot, but not nearly as bad as that! 

140 degrees!! :o wow.... didn't know it got that hot anywhere!   Btw, I will start a topic on Saudi Arabia in General Discussion....I would be interested in your experiences there.   I have an epal who is a member here....former Muslim who lives in Saudi Arabia.